“Great higher end steakhouse especially for a "chain"...” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Capital Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 729 Restaurants in Plano
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Legacy
Richardson, Texas
“Great higher end steakhouse especially for a "chain"...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My fiancee and I went to The Capital Grille Saturday 8/31/2013 for a nice dinner out, and the experience was fantastic. We've been to several of the nicer steakhouses in Dallas, and Capital Grille rates close to the top. Based on my experiences, not quite at the same level as Papas Bros., but a notch above Del Frisco's.

We did have to wait a bit after our reservation time to be seated, but it wasn't long. I had forgotten that this was restaurant week, so I completely understand the slight delay in seating.

Overall, our meal was fantastic. We started out with the waygu carpaccio, topped with wasabi arugula and Parmesan slivers. Excellent flavor, and beautifully served. My only complaint was that the beef seemed to stick to the plate a little too much, mostly on one side of the plate. Not sure why, but to get most of it off, we had to scrape with our forks.

For our salads I had the heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad topped with 15 year old balsamic. I tasted fantastic, excellent quality, very fresh, ingredients. Just as with the appetizer, it was plated beautifully. My fiancee had the spinach salad with warm bacon dressing and seemed to enjoy it.

For the main course, I had the 14oz dry aged sirloin and she had the 10oz fillet. Both were cooked to perfection and absolutely consistent. The dry aging really brought out the flavor of the meat, and I can say it was one of the better steaks I've had. For sides we had the mashed potatoes and asparagus. Both were prepared to the same quality as the rest of the meal.

And, finally, for dessert we split the creme brulee. It was very well made, and tasted just as it should.

As far as drinks, I took advantage of their "Generous Pour" wine special. I'm not usually a wine drinker, but I thought it was an excellent value and a good selection was provided.

Our waiter, Gene, was top notch. He was very attentive without being too much so, and kept our drinks full.

We will definitely be returning, and I would absolutely request Gene on our next visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Frisco, Texas
“Good thing it was restaurant week”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Me and 3 of my girlfriends went for Restaurant week. Its a good thing we only paid 35$ for this meal and not the regular price. Restaurant week is a 3 course meal for $35.

We were seating in the outside area where the walls are all window. They brought us bread to start. The bread was fantastic. Especially the onion bread. I could have eaten the whole loaf! First course, my choice was the salad with the shallot wine or champagne vinaigrette. This was such a boring salad. It was mixed greens and cucumber with dressing. The dressing was very strong on the onion flavor. It wasnt a good start to our fancy dinner.

I then paid an extra 10$ to add shrimp to my filet. The filet had a good flavor, but nothing i couldnt have done at home. It was very tender and I was able to cut it very easily, however the steak was unevenly cooked. This was consistent with the 3 of us that ordered steak. One side was much more done than the other. The shrimp were very large and it was served with 3 of them. They were very good, however could have been cooked for a min or 2 less and been great.

Then came the dessert. I ordered the strawberries. They were served with a scoop of icecream. The icecream was delish. The strawberries were also very good. they were soaked in different kinds of alcohol to give them extra flavor, and you couldnt taste the alcohol. We also chose to add the "generous pour" to our meal for an extra $25. They had a good selection of wines on the list and I took full advantage of that having 3 glasses! lol

The service here was great. Our server was Laura. She kept the food and the wine coming and was very attentive to us and also had a laugh or 2 with us. I give her excellent marks for service, however the food just didnt impress.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Worse dinner I have ever eaten!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Went for restaurant week and everything was awful. Filet was so tough we couldn't cut it with a steak knife. Besides this, the outside of the meat was charred so much that it was actually burnt and left a horrible taste in the mouth. The bread was stale and, some of the tops of the bread was also burnt. Everything was salted too much. Even the dessert wasn't anything to brag about. Complained to the waiter and manager but got no satisfaction. All they wanted to do was add on to the bill, and when we didn't agree, service ceased. This restaurant needs to take lessons from Pappas Steak House which is a fabulous restaurant with wonderful food and great service

Visited August 2013
McKinney, Texas
“I will return. I will return frequently.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

This is our second meal here. It is expensive fine dining, but we were looking for pampered. It was a quiet Sunday night. She got the Sole and I the Chicken confit. Again, it was magnificent.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, TX
“Anniversary Dinner, enjoyed it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to go to Capital Grille for our anniversary dinner on Saturday evening. We made reservations for 5p.m. since we knew we would be taking our one year old daughter and figured it would be less crowded. We took her with us because we preferred to have her celebrate with us and not because babysitters are expensive.

We were seated immediately when we got there. They had confetti on our table with a rose, great touch. Our server was great! I don't remember her name but she was awesome - I would give her 6 stars. She explained everything we asked and was very nice to our daughter.

We ordered a glass of wine, had calamari as an appetizer (loved it, even my daughter liked it), my entree was the sirloin (it was good, not the best I've had), husband had the parmesan crusted sea bass (which he loved!), sides of lobster mac & cheese (delicious), and the creamed spinach (good). Overall, food was really good. Portion sizes were good for the price.

We were too full for desserts but our server brought us a glass of champagne for a final celebration. We will definitely be visiting again and probably with our daughter! (unless it's later in the evening :-)

• Visited July 2013