“Not too good...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Pecos
Fontana, California
“Not too good...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

Ok, first off, I must say that I stayed here over a year ago. I was doing research on Pecos hotels and felt compelled to review this motel. That should give you an idea about the force of the impression that this motel left on me. First off, it is in Pecos. Pecos is not nice. Sure it is about as far as I will drive in one day from El Paso, but it is run down. This motel mirrors the town. It is not horrible, but is certainly not great. It is equivalent to any run-down old motel off the highway that is mostly frequented by truckers. Think "No Country for Old Men" That might not be the case of this motel, but it is equivalent to that image. The motel is just that-a motel. Your door opens to the outside. Given the remoteness of this town, it just doesn't feel really safe at night outside your door, especially given the other motel guest's appearances. You do get breakfast at the restaurant, but the restaurant is old and the quality of the food is only mediocre- at best. I saw a huge bug (just a beetle of some sort) in the place and it just felt a little grimy. It wasn't particularly dirty, but it just had an old grimy feel. The rooms are similar. Mostly just old, but my bed was in disrepair, tilted to one side. Not super clean either, again grimy. Would I stay here again? Not for the prices they charge. I would pay not more than about $60 a night for this place. If you can get it for lower than that, then you should be expecting a place like this. Otherwise, I would avoid it at all costs. It does make you feel like you are in the wild west if you like that kind of a feeling. It makes it plainly obvious that you are in the middle of nowhere-a once booming area, that is quickly becoming a ghost town. My suggestion: stay away unless absolutely necessary.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Canyon, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Stayed here unexpectedly when other plans/destinations fell apart. The room was clean and very comfortable. They gave us coupons for free breakfast, which was way better than most places' continental stuff. The pool and jacuzzi was a neat set up in that the jacuzzi was above the pool.

One negative was that the vending room on our floor did not have a vending machine in it, but there is a convenience store within easy walking distance from the lobby.

The woman monitoring the breakfast area made an appoint to make sure we were satisfied with breakfast, something I thought was genuine and caring.

This hotel has very easy access to and from Interstate 20.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

Staff made me and my family extremely uncomfortable.
Will not stay at this seedy motel for free.
We left without finishing breakfast.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

My family and I stayed at the BW in Pecos for one night on our way from Louisiana to New Mexico. I was very impressed with the value for the price I paid ($67 with AARP discount). The clerk at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The hotel offers TWO clothes washing machines and dryers, and they are FREE to guests! As a mom traveling with two young kids, I'm always on the lookout for good laundry facilities as I always have laundry to do when we travel. The pool was inviting and a relaxing place to sit while the kids swam. The pool is situated in the center of the U-shape of the hotel. Pool is surrounded by beautiful trees, singing birds and soft green grass--a charming little oasis in the dry West Texas desert. A full, hot breakfast is included with the cost of the room. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others, especially families on a budget.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Plantation, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

After leaving Carlsbad Caverns, we wanted a place not too far away on the way to San Antonio. Pecos seemed to be a logical spot. This is an older hotel, fairly well maintained, but has not had a make-over in a while. The carpet and furniture were clean but not new and there was a fridge and microwave.
The staff at check-in were friendly and accommodating.
There was a good breakfast buffet in the restaurant, which was included.
There was nothing about this hotel to not recommend it unless you were looking for something new. I don't know if there is anything new as this in the middle of nowhere. For one night as a stopping place between two points, it served it's purpose.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Modesto, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

The weather channel was screaming that 60 mph winds were headed into Reeves county. The weather radio we had was advising that anyone in Reeves county prepare immediately as strong winds, hail and flash flooding were on its way. I called the front desk to check whether we were in Reeves county and the clerk had to ask other people which county we were in. When I told her what the Weather Channel was advising, she told me that they didn't know what they were talking about since it never rained in Pecos. Wow. What a big help. Although the area just south of Reeves county got 4" of rain, the storm weakened by the time it hit us and the weather warnings expired. The clerk had completely blown me off and wasn't any help at all in spite of the fact that the Weather Channel was predicting severe weather. Really disgusting behavior from her.

Maybe the rest of my experience was jaded because of this, but the computer in the business center had blocked cookies so that I couldn't check my yahoo e-mail, the room's carpet was icky and my husband found a dead cockroach belly up in the bathroom. This was not the high point on our trip.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Irvine, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

Weak points:
- eight-legged two-inches-long pets in the room
- very dirty carpets
- no hairdryer - according to the staff, someone stole it (!)
- pretty pricey

Strong points:
- quite good breakfast

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Swiss Clock Inn? Share your experiences!