“OMG, Run! I should have spent more for a better place!” 1 of 5 stars

Oak Tree Inn Pecos
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 North Frontage Road, I-20 & US 285, Pecos, TX 79772   |
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Pecos
San Diego, California, United States
“OMG, Run! I should have spent more for a better place!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Where to start... There was a huge ice storm in west TX as we drove to Dallas from California on Dec 29, 2014. We are from Alaska, we were fine, but so many others were retarded on the roads. The Hilton only had doubles left for $180 cause of the rush of stranded people. We are from Alaska, we were fine, but so many others were retarded on the roads. We made the bad decision to check for other cheaper places nearby first.

When we called here, they said "yeah we have rooms, just come in. It's $125 with tax." and hung up. I knew immediately this was odd since they didn't ask for any information from us to hold a room. It was close to midnight and we just needed 5-6 hours of sleep to let more people wreck and get off the roads and out of our way.

When we showed up at the place, there was literally no one to be found. I waited for over 15 minutes and kept looking around. Being in security before, I started to notice things that worried me. I told my wife to stay in the car and be ready to call 911.

I found a key card on the floor right in front of the desk. I showed it to the security camera (horribly placed) and started to carefully check for signs of foul play. The card was a master key card. I was literally able to check any room in the complex. I went into the back office and looked, saw a possible open purse with no phone or wallet identifiers visible (it was wide open).

I then checked the bathrooms, all 3 floors : basement - no locked rooms and a chapel, main floor - including all security and storage rooms (most weren't even locked or closed), and the top floor - again every storage, security, AND locker rooms (again most were wide open).

On the top floor I found a cleaning cart abandoned in the hall, 3 rooms wide open for cleaning with lights on, even 1 room with the vacuum and dust buster and dirty sheets blocking the bedroom door. Now I was really getting worried.

While checking the bottom floor, I saw the back gate was locked open so anyone could enter without a hard key. There was a Denny's on the far side of the parking lot, so maybe they went for food. I found a computer room wide open (OP computer room), the CB radio was set to L042-042 and was also empty.

I went back to my wife, told her I had still seen no one in the building. I told her I would check Denny's and then we call the police. I took her knife (I grew up around gangs and knew how to use it) and finished my check.

While returning from Denny's I saw an unmarked white chevy van pull up. I saw 3 guys jump out and head into the side door. I had my phone out to call 911, took note of the CVN - 4510 plate, and tried to get an ID of the 3 guys.

This is when I saw 3 guys in coveralls going into the OP room to get on computers. I calmly asked if they had seen the front desk clerk. "Nope, we just got here." There were wearing OP railroad tags.

I walked back past the desk, saw it was empty, and went to tell my wife. I started to dial 911 as I walked back inside.

There behind the counter sat a older, african american male chewing on some food. He acted like he'd been there the whole time. He was greying, had long dreadlocks, and a silver and turquoise tear drop earring in both ears.

When I asked where he was, "Oh we get a lot of OP Railroad in and I have to cater to them. I only stepped out for a second." When I saw the small cell phone he held, I asked why he didn't answer when I called a few minutes ago (which I had to see if the call was forwarded. It wasn't, it just rang and rang.) "I was in the back office, must not have heard it." (You could hear it ring over the whole first floor.)

He hand wrote a receipt and charged our card. I asked if the computer system was down. "No we don't use it for rooms." I took the card he handed us, walked into security view and placed the Master on the counter. I just wanted to sleep at this point. I also ran my card through the office door as we passed, guess what - it turned green. Inside the office I had seen a post it note on the wall that told everyone to STOP giving out master keys and use the room numbers, sighed Ahrida(?) . I suck with names.

With all of these things running through my mind, I failed at getting any sleep. This effectively wasted one of the main reasons to stop for the night. The room was awful, bed was uncomfortable, and the bathroom still had a dirty towel under the sink.

The next morning as we lumbered out, I asked who the manager was. I was told the name I had read on the post-it note. The master key from before was still on the counter, as well. We took our breakfast vouchers next door to Denny's for breakfast. The site had no facilities for food, and I'm glad of that.

If this is the typical setting for this place, I will gladly set fire to it if they need the insurance money. As long as they don't rebuild it.

I'll post pictures of things as I looked for a person. In all, there was no person visible for almost an hour.

Chris

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

Ok-better than expected. Good service and refurbished room. Got thru Priceline. Was good for a quick night. Upgraded and nice after reading some negative reviews.Was just,fine. Remodelingmmakes, it makes it a. Very good place to stay for the price.i

Room Tip: Got thru Priceline
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014

Hmmm....Where to begin? The huge truck stop right next door should have been my first clue. The hookers at the truck stop even talked to me about it. Once I got in the door, it took the staff 33 minutes to check me in. My room smelled like cigarettes and a dirty clothes hamper. There were holes in the ceiling above the shower. The shower curtain had mildew on it. My sheets had blood stains on it. There was no breakfast. If I could rate this a "0" star, I would. But the one positive thing I can say is that all the staff were nice and polite, they just weren't very motivated.

Room Tip: All hotels in Pecos have jacked up their prices. Keep going and get a hotel in the next town.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Stayed one night at the hotel. Room is excellent but mattress is too saggy/soft. The room seems to be new or refurbished. Nice vanity. Many restaurants in the complex. Good stop over to go to Carlsbad Cavern.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
West Fork, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Unfortunately, it was late at night and we had not made reservations and this was the only hotel available. It is probably fine for truckers and construction workers, but not for families. Front desk lady was rude and unhelpful and really could care less about my 85 year old parents I was travelng with. The beds were totally uncomfortable. My mother work up sore and hurting everywhere. It did serve the purpose of sleeping for the night and leaving as quickly as possible to get out of this very depressing hotel. Same as earlier review, the only thing worse was the Denny's next door, which was horrible beyond belief, service, atmosphere, everything was awful. We will make every effort to never stop in Pecos, TX again. Lady at front desk of hotel would not even give a discount for AARP. Dreadful.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Houston, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

My kids and i stayed here. Horrible experience. We were the only non-truckers in the hotel! Rude front desk employees. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!
The only thing worse than this place is the Denny's restaurant next door!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stayed here while I was traveling on business. This place is beyond bad. The rooms were in poor condition, the beds were uncomfortable, the shower looked like it had not been cleaned in days. The wifi signal was very weak. Railroad crews stay here and the front desk staff is constantly shuttling them back and forth to their trains. While the staff is out of the building, the phone at the front desk rings nonstop.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GM_OTI, General Manager at Oak Tree Inn Pecos, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Walkingzombie73,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We are using your review for training our housekeeping team and front desk service. We value your business and if you are in the area again we hope you will give us another chance. Please feel free to look at a room before you check in.

Thank you.

Been to Oak Tree Inn Pecos? Share your experiences!