“Do not risk staying at this hotel, if you do check your credit card charges” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pecos

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 13 hotels in Pecos
Pecos, Texas
“Do not risk staying at this hotel, if you do check your credit card charges”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I am a platinum member of IHG rewards. I stayed here in March on my reward points which were paid in advance. Morning of checkout, found a receipt at my door (something that doesn't happen when you stay free on points. Hotel charged my credit card $230 for one night. I went down to desk to show them and was told by the manager that they did not charge my card. I stood there and called Wells Fargo and was told that the hotel did charge my card for $230, even though the receipt they gave me said $190 and change. I told Wells Fargo to stop payment, open a complaint and that I had paid with points and didn't owe money to this hotel.

Long story short, they reversed the charge and put the money back on my card. It gets worse.

When I checked in for that disputed stay, the room was filthy, there was pubic hair in the sink and bathtub, the elevator was completely covered in trash, spit on the walls, un-vacuumed hallways and a just plain dirty property. The WORST Holiday Inn Express I have EVER stayed in.

I called IHG customer relations and complained heavily about the state of the hotel and the LIES that the management so easily tell.

I am glad I was not a cash paying customer at $179/night for this rat hole.

So now the really bad part. Since it is the only IHG property within 60 miles, I was forced to make another reservation this week (June 5 through 7th, 2013). I got the res. set up last week and got my conformation # online. Paid with points again.

Today at 1 p.m. (2 hours before I am supposed to check in) I received a call from my wife at home in Nevada saying there was a message on my home phone saying that the Holiday Inn Express in Pecos would not honor my reservation or my reward points. The Indian lady manager said that because I complained about her funky nasty place and about the fraudulent credit card charges that they would not let me stay there and would not honor my points.

I called IHG and was told that they (the hotel) could do whatever they wanted and IHG could not make them honor the reservation. Makes me wonder what the hell the point is with having a customer care center if they are powerless to handle conflicts.

So there are no other places to stay available in the town because of the oil boom (hence the ridiculous price of $179/night for a very sub-standard room in Pecos). I had to drive 60 miles to the Fort Stockton Holiday Inn Express and am staying here for the two nights.

Needless to say, I told IHG group that they have completely LOST a Platinum Rewards Member FOR LIFE. I am now using up my last 100,000 points to stay free and give to relatives so I can be done with IHG and Holiday Inn Express for good.

Please take my advice and NEVER stay in this hotel. They do not care about their customers, they lied to me, they defrauded my credit card and now they have cost me three 120 mile drives extra for the 3 days of work I have to do (I am a Petroleum Landman) in Pecos, and they are the biggest bunch of A-HOLES I have ever had the Displeasure of staying with.

Please save your money and take your business elsewhere. Anywhere else than the HIE Inn and Suites, Pecos, Texas

R.C.B. - Reno Nevada Platinum IHG member.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pecos, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Bobby B,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to read from our guests on how we are doing. I deeply regret that we were not able to deliver based on your expectations particularly with the service received from our staff. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Again, thanks for the candid review and my apologies for the shortcomings.

Pam G

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

In a dusty town full of oil rig workers. Always full on weekdays, so expect higher prices. Hot hallways, paper thin walls, carbo loaded breakfast. Views are either if the Walmart (noisey) or a field. There is an outdoor pool and cookies in the lobby.

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pecos, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear meandersfun,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the conditions, and amenities of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I hate to be too negative but this was a really bad hotel. Pecos is not much to speak of but we were at the end of a long leg from Santa Fe and the Carlsbad caves (must see!). We'd had some good experiences with Holiday Inn so we assumed this place would be ok. First of all you virtually need a four wheel drive to get into the place. There were two massive and unavoidable potholes in the driveway ...like huge! The desk clerk didn't have a clue and had to be prompted about everything. The price was pretty high for the quality and location and compared to other similar hotels. I'm not sure if they have truckers on a regular basis so they don't have to compete but this was off season and your standard chain hotel and there was no discount at all. We asked for a room away from the freeway, which is a racket ...so the first room we got, of course was on the freeway. We went down to ask for another room and got another room on the freeway. The clerk didn't know which rooms faced where and didn't know how to figure it out. The room was not clean and didn't smell that great. I was really dissapointed in the condition of the room and a lot of stuff didn't work ...no battery in the remote, toilet ran on..lots of little stuff. This place actually killed us on Holiday Inns. Zero service. Could be a Pecos thing. The Wallmart across the street was pretty much unilingual Spanish and the local gas station had no water in any of the winshield cleaning stations and they looked at me like I had two heads when I asked to get some water to clean my bug splattered windshield. Holiday Inn didn't respond to my complaints about this place so we don't use them any more. We found the Hilton Garden Inn people try a little harder for the same price. Really bad hotel...I'd give it a pass.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pecos, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear dmc19751,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Zelyn N
Texas USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Great Hotel, very new and clean especially for a west Texas small town. At check in I was greeted nicely and very organized, quickly and professional.
The rooms are very nice and seemed new and very clean and comfortable.
I'll definitely go back when going thru Pecos, Texas.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed in this property for 3 nights for business. The hotel Itself is pretty clean no bugs. I have the room in the first floor, which was pretty noisy. Also I can hear all the conversation my next door has on the phone very clearly. The room has this funny odor that I can't figure out what, and the housekeeping keep on forgetting to replace the towels everyday. Breakfast could have more variable items and hotter coffee.
Checkout experience was great, no issue.

• Stayed November 2012
Lake City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This hotel is a great place to stay while traveling across west Texas. It's rather new and it shows. The room is quite nice and very comfortable, and the hotel staff is incredibly accommodating and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling I20 across west Texas.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sun City, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Travelling from Phoenix to Dallas area there are only few places to stop for the night. After having stayed in Van Horn a few times and not being impressed decided to try Pecos. Hotel is newer and pretty clean overall. Not far off freeway. Bed was comfortable. Shower was fine. Internet worked with just a few interruptions. Standard HIE with nothing to make it especially good or bad. Many of the other guests work in the nearby oil fields and since it was a Sunday night it was really pretty quiet. Also being Sunday meant there were limited places to eat dinner nearby. Chose the Denny's with low expectations but was still disappointed and I'm not that picky. Food just had no taste. Continental breakfast was quite good and kept restocked. These guys work hard so need to be fueled for the day. A good place to stay if you want a break from driving. Got the feeling it may book up quickly with workers so plan to reserve ahead. The shortage of lodging in the area also can make it a bit more expensive.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pecos? Share your experiences!