“Once a leader now behind” 3 of 5 stars

MCM Elegante Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5200 E University, Odessa, TX 79762   |
Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Odessa
Grapevine, Texas
“Once a leader now behind”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel over the last 12 years and when I first started this was a leader in the industry. The were the first I saw add plush pillow top beds with nice furniture for just normal rooms. Shortly after that many chains were doing the same at a slow pace. The problem is they have not done much else to renovate or get up to date with current trends. I highly suspect it's because they don't have much in competition in this oil resurrected town where -any- room is a commodity. I hope they check their history and know that this town saw a oil bust in the past and if oil goes down it can all happen again.

Highly suggest you take those huge profits and spruce up the place when you can afford it.

Room Tip: Like other reviews have said this hotel is full and full of many who work in the oil fields, so for...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Let me start by saying I'm a Texas girl, so the fact that the parking lot was full of pickups or that there's a 10 Commandment slab in front of the hotel didn't really seem out of the ordinary to me as it would to some. Granted, I don't find myself in West Texas much, so I can't compare this hotel to others in the area (are there even any other hotels in Midland/Odessa?!). Judging from its decor, I'm sure this hotel was something special in the 80s. That being said, while the fixtures felt old and dated, this hotel is very clean, and they take pride in keeping the property looking nice.

My room was nice enough--it was clean, had a working TV, a comfortable bed, hot water, and a refrigerator. The bathroom and bedroom fixtures were older, but they were clean and didn't have that typical old hotel grody feeling. They do offer Bath & Body Works complimentary toiletries in all the rooms, so even if you bring your own bath goodies, you can always take these along and save them for stocking-stuffers at Christmas.

The iron in my room was a little dirty. I do clean the front of hotel irons as standard practice before using them, as you never know if the person before you decided to make a late-night grilled cheese with it. However, despite my best efforts, It managed to spit some calcified sediment on my clothes while I was ironing, leaving a nice white streak across the front of my dark dress...so be careful!

By the time I arrived, the restaurant was closed, but the bar was still serving food (from the restaurant's menu). For you city-folk, you're in for a real treat--smoking is still allowed inside public places in Odessa, so if you have an aversion to cigarette smoke or just don't want the clothes you wore to the bar making your suitcase smell like an ash tray, it's best to take your food to go, back to your non-smoking hotel room.

The food in the bar is average, at best. I ordered a tuna steak sandwich, which honestly was probably a mistake since Odessa is nowhere near a fresh source of fish. I also should have been concerned when it took nearly an hour for my order to come out when the bar was empty, but I was tired and didn't care about anything but the rumbling in my stomach. What I got wasn't totally inedible (did I mention I was about to gnaw my arm off in a fit of starvation?) but the tuna was more like overcooked, leathery chicken. I choked down as many bites as I could, shoved some french fries in my mouth, and in a moment of desperation ordered a slice of pie to go. Much to my surprise, the pie was DELICIOUS, but was obviously a pre-made frozen goody from their food supplier. I have to say though, even though the food was sub-par, the staff was very nice and very attentive--I don't think I ever had to ask for a single refill!

There is a full-service beauty salon on the property that features Aveda products, so that's something if you have a lot of time to kill and need a haircut or want to get your nails done. They also have a fun little gift shop in case you need something to help remember your West Texas Adventure.

All in all, this hotel is nice enough. I would stay here again most likely, but I'd probably look around the area first to see what else is available.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Brenham, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I've traveled to Odessa frequently over the past years. I would recommend the Hilton Garden Inn. Having said that, I have attended company functions (under duress) at this hotel for many years--and it has gotten progressively worse. I've already decided to decline a 2013 invitation if it's held here. After reading other reviews, I have to wholeheartedly agree that this place has never been elegant and that it has progressively declined! I have NEVER encountered--in more than 5 or 6 visits over as many years--a nice or a friendly Elegante' employee. On the other hand, it's quite easy to find one that couldn't care less.
If you have no other choice but to stay here--I suggest you bring at least one full can of Lysol Disinfecting Spray per day (per room), eat anywhere else, and never put your suitcase on the floor.
Again, it's a sign of the times in this area that the oil boom that has envigorated their economy has also made it a horrible place to live or expect any kind of decent service. I suspect many out in this area will welcome the next bust.

Room Tip: Don't bother--there are no good rooms!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Lubbock, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

First of all, we had reserved several rooms for several members of my wife's family, including us, to attend a HS graduation. Since we were reserving several rooms, we were given a special price of $99 for each room. Two weeks before the graduation, the hotel changed its mind and we all had to pay $170 each for the rooms. We had all planned to drive in on Friday and spend two nights in Odessa, but after the change in price, we all had to change our plans to one night. No reason or explanation for the change except that it came from upper management. I spoke with 3 different persons trying to get an answer with no success. So instead of spending Friday-Sunday with family, we were all cut down to one day. It wasn't even a day because most of us spend Saturday traveling to Odessa and then had to travel back on Sunday.
After checking in and going to our room, I discovered that this room is no different than any other motel room. I have a hard time understanding why the price of these rooms are so high. The toilets in these rooms are 12" high. My wife being handicapped had a hard time using the bathroom in the room. We had been promised a 1st floor room with handicapped features, but instead we got a standard room on the 3rd floor. When I tried to explain that we had asked for a 1st floor room, we were told that they had already run out of rooms on the first floor. So we had to take what they gave us or go somewhere else.
The price of motels in Midland-Odessa are just too high for what you get. Even Motel 6 was $120 for one night. These motels are no better than any other motel that I have stayed in and I have never had to pay this much. I go to Dallas/FW area all the time and have never paid more than $100 for a decent motel. I don't understand how a city with a population of less than a hundred thousand, had motels with higher prices than cities that have over two hundred thousand persons. When I asked about the breakfast, I was told that there is no free breakfast because there are two places to eat next door to the motel. Sounds fishy.
Overall, we were all disappointed about the price change, no breakfast, and not getting the room we requested ahead of time. I always thought the motels had to honor the price that you were given, but not at this motel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
College Station, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed at the Elegante for two nights in March because we stayed there years ago and enjoyed our visit. I should have looked at the most recent reviews! The entire hotel needs a facelift. My main issue, however, is poor service at the front desk. We couldn't find an ice bucket in the room, and when we asked for one, we were given a plastic bag and informed that a bucket was not available. The people who checked is in and out were efficient, but clearly indifferent to customer satisfaction. I understand that business associated with the Odessa oil boom has provided consistent "sold out" status for this hotel. Someone needs to tell the staff that a friendly smile and a modicum of concern for customers' comfort goes a long way in an aging, dated facility. If you have to stay at the Elegante, take an extra large Ziplock bag. You'll need it if you want ice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

You can't find a decent hotel for less than $200 per night in the Permian Basin, but as hotels go the Elegante is very nice. Nice updates in the rooms on the second floor. I've heard some other rooms are a bit more dated. Staff is efficient and pleasant.

Room Tip: Pool side is a little noisy. During peak summer travel, you might want to avoid it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lubbock, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I am in my room now. Waiting for someone to fix my shower so I have hot water. They do not have a buffet breakfast or a manager's reception. The bar was gross and the restaurant subpar. Every employee I have encountered so far has been totally unhelpful or unprofessional eventhough I have treated them all with respect. I tried to book a last minute manicure in the "spa" (I know spas. This place is a room with a few chairs and some Aveda products). They told me there wasn't enough time for a manicure (it was 7:15 & they close at 8). When I walked by the spa, I saw all of the employees standing around talking with each other doing nothing. It is almost 11 pm and I have to be up at 5 am for a seminar downstairs in this hotel. As of now, I can't shower. They are charging me $260 for this room. What about this hotel is 4 star???

Room Tip: Go someplace else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business