“Overpriced Roach Motel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Faust Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Braunfels
The Faust Hotel
You added The Faust Hotel to your Saves list
240 South Seguin Avenue, New Braunfels, TX 78130   |
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in New Braunfels
Houston, Texas
“Overpriced Roach Motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

A group of friends and I had a block of rooms last weekend and I've never stayed at a hotel NOT right on I-35 so it was interesting to try to find.... But find it I did and got all checked in.... Got all my stuff into my room and the best thing I can say about this hotel is that the people that work here are super nice. Its an old building, with window units for AC (and the window unit rests on the best so while your middle freezes the rest of you burns up due to the humidity in the room), and the interior and bathrooms were horrible.... I've never seen filthier bathrooms anywhere! The linens were over starched. There was a step up into the bathroom (WTF? And I totally almost ate it like half a dozen times going in and out...) and the beds were made for midgets.... While I understand its historical early 20th century inspired and people were much shorter then - I m only 5 5 and they were too short for me to lay on fully... My feet hang over the end of the bed.... Not fun. The rooms were super small too, I'm not sure if I'd been with someone if there would be enough room for us both! And the keys to the rooms are actually keys not keycards like most modern day hotels. And there is NO wireless internet.... With a surcharge or otherwise.... If I owned that place I'd shut it down and totally renovate the whole thing.... Though that probably wouldn't even help much....

Then the furniture is like cheap bad antiques and theres hardly enough light once the sun goes down and the bathroom was just plain gross.... Its like they were trying too hard with the decorations and almost none of its functional in the modern day... Like I said I can't think of anything nice to say about it except for that the people there are nice and super helpful. Oh and the elevator was super quiet.... Thats nice right? Its like an expensive roach motel. I don t see why people are always raving about how great it is.... Do they stay in garbage bins or something? I wish I had just stayed at the Comfort Suites or something instead.....

I thought about calling around to see if anything else was available but I was so tired I was almost punch drunk and about to pass out.... And its mid summer in New Braunfels, highly doubtful anything better is available.... So I stayed.....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I enjoy unusual/interesting hotels. We usually prefer boutique or bed and breakfast type places but now have a 1 year old and feel like b&bs have too many breakables and stairs. This hotel was a nice choice. We paid $149 for the night, which is a little pricey for what you get but it's a Friday in JULY in a tourist town. The hotel is VERY CENTRALLY located! Walking distance from shops, antiques and restaurants. The staff couldn't be nicer and the room was clean and well appointed. No complaints.

• Stayed July 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

The historical Faust Hotel is simply AMAZING! The staff was kind & courteous. The rooms were wonderfully decorated. The food in the pub was very good and reasonably priced. Top it off with the wonderful atmosphere and it made for an awesome stay. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone and will! Take an amazing trip through Texas history. Go to the Faust!

• Stayed July 2012
Augusta, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

The room was small but clean and the bed was comfortable. The historic features were really fun. Hotel staff nice and helpful. Breakfast was very low end continental but the coffee was drinkable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Central Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

My family and I were very pleased with our stay at the “Faust” over the St. Patricks day and weekend. I just adored the hotel’s authentic, nostalgic decor and ambiance. This historical hotel with its “Somewhere In Time” Victorian romance is absolutely my perfect cup of tea. The entire hotel, pub and restaurant was very clean with attention to every lovely detail. The staff was very friendly and professional. Our room and beds were comfortable and modernized without compromising too much on the antiquity of this American “1920’s” period hotel. The breakfast in the morning was quiet, elegant and there was enough variety for everyone to select from.. even my finicky twins. My husband was impressed with the congenial pub and brewery that is located conveniently downstairs and he enjoyed sampling the many beers. We were able to relax and enjoy a few drinks without worry of driving. Our family enjoyed the menu and tasty, unique bar fare. It is not a dieters menu but it was well worth the calories. The hotel is located within walking distance of many shops, restaurants and sightseeing activities. The parking situation was small and difficult but I don’t know how it could be improved because there just simply isn’t more available property to expand on. It was just easier to park our car at the hotel and walk. I am well traveled and have stayed at all sorts of hotels, castles, bed & breakfasts, cottages (and you name it) around the world. I relish the experience of the stay and it is more than a place to sleep for me. Of course, I prefer an impeccably clean establishment but I am willing to tolerate unusual nuances so that I can cherish the wonderful adventure of the journey. For those of you who have traveled abroad you understand that a castle may be drafty or that a five star hotel in Rome may be without air-conditioning or that an Asian bathroom has a hole in the floor for the toilet but for me that is the part of the native experience. If your priority is total modern, new surroundings and demand the conventional, then perhaps, this is not your place to stay. My stay here was very nice and I left with a smile. It is not the cheapest place to stay but for the elegance and charm it was reasonable.

Room Tip: There are a variety of rooms and prices available to fit your needs and budget. If you can afford it...