“Great history, nice rooms and free piano music!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Prince Solms Inn Bed and Breakfast

Prince Solms Inn Bed and Breakfast
You added Prince Solms Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Prince Solms Inn Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   295 East San Antonio Street, New Braunfels, TX 78130   |
Ranked #7 of 18 New Braunfels B&B and Inns
Clinton, New York
“Great history, nice rooms and free piano music!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

Prince Solm's Inn is situated nicely for a tour of downtown New Braunfels. You can walk to almost everything, including the water park. Al, the Innkeeper, made us feel very welcome and provided good recommendations on where to eat. Be sure to ask him for a tour of the property. The piano bar downstairs is a nice place to hang out, though you can hear the music just as well from the downstairs rooms. Be sure to ask for a room on the top floor, away from the bar if you intend to retire early in the evening. Sophie's suite was spacious and sported the room's original wallpaper.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We chose this B&B because of its location -- close to the tube rental places, the river, and also to several of the restaurants and bars in New Braunfels. For that, it gets 4 stars. Very nice.

However, when I think B&B, I think a cozy, inviting, quiet little place to relax and unwind, staffed by a gregarious couple who treat you like family when you're there. I don't tend to think about a slightly run-down hotel (1) on a major street in New Braunfels, (2) next to a grain silo with trucks going by at all hours, (3) near an unseen church that rings its bells every hour on the hour, (4) with very thin walls such that you can hear your neighbor's cell phone ring as if it was on your bed; (5) and last, but most certainly not least, located directly above a piano bar. The bar is located in the basement but has a courtyard.

On Friday night, it mercifully closes at midnight, but on Saturday night, it's open until 2 a.m. I'm a drinker myself, we actually went down there both nights, but the problem is, when you're ready to go to bed (especially after tubing the river all day), you want to get AWAY from a bar, not sleep directly above it. . The noise level is unbelievable. If you are a light sleeper in ANY sense of the word, I'd urge you to find somewhere else to stay.

I haven't mentioned the food or amenities -- both were average at best. Most B&Bs I've stayed at really pride themselves on serving you breakfast in a friendly and courteous manner, giving you something really special, including pancakes, meats, waffles, breads, eggs, etc. Here, they had lukewarm scrambled eggs, mediocre kolaches, and a fruit salad, served with a heaping helping of indifference. Not bad, just... not great. When you market yourself as a B&B, you need to put some effort into the second letter.

The rooms were adequate. Clean enough, but dingy here and there. Again, most B&Bs are lovingly cared for by their owners who take great pride in keeping them immaculate. At Prince Solms Inn, the wallpaper around the light switch was brown with use. Lightswitch pull strings were brown and frayed. Our doorknob had worked itself loose from the door and barely functioned. Windows were dirty. You get the picture.

Not a horrible place, but not what you'd expect when you say you're going to a B&B. Keep looking, there are better options.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
princesolmsinn, Manager at Prince Solms Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
I think if you read ALL of our reviews, you will see that they are overwhelmingly positive and speak for themselves. As for the negative reviews, such as this one, it goes without saying that some people simply cannot be pleased, no matter what kind of value and service they are provided.

I am sorry that we couldn't stop the church bells, trains, traffic, and bar patrons (by the way, we don't own or operate the Bar -- we just rent space to it, and are bound to go on doing so by the terms of a lease that we inherited with the purchase of the property. Furthermore, the Bar closes at 1 AM on Saturday, not 2 AM, and stops serving alcohol at midnight in accordance with New Braunfels' city ordinances; there is not a single bar in NB that is open at 2 AM any day of the year) for this reviewer -- believe it or not, it simply is not within our power!

As for our breakfast, it is good as you will find at any B and B, and we get complements about it all the time; people frequently even ask for our recipies or about the ingredients we use. Perhaps this reviewer simply does not like scrambled eggs (which I will admit is not the best dish we serve but, for variety's sake, we cannot serve only our "house specialties" every day!).

About breakfast being served with a "heaping serving of indifference," I am sorry if, on the particular day this reviewer ate breakfast here, we may have been too busy for making small talk with guests during breakfast: We often have to prepare breakfast for and serve as many 40 people within the space of a couple hours, and sometimes they all come within a 30 minute period! We are not a restaurant, and therefore do not have separate wait and kitchen staff. This means that the people preparing breakfast are the same people serving it, and it is not such an easy and leisurely task that they always have time for socializing with guests whilst in the "thick of it." Moreover, we are a historic inn with 14 rooms that is operated as a bed and breakfast, not a "mom and pop shop" operated by a "gregarious couple," who only have a couple of rooms and may only get a few reservations a month and are, therefore, able to 1) do all of the work themselves, and 2) lavish great amounts of attention on each and every guest, even when they have a "full house."

That being said, we are never indifferent to the concerns or needs of our guests, and go our our way to be accomodating whenever possible. Furthermore our owner is one of the friendliest people you will ever meet (people tell me so all the time), and can often be found socializing with guest during breakfast and in the late afternoons and evenings -- time and circumstances permiting. He has even been known to invite them to join him for a glass of wine or beer, when the time is right (but this is never during breakfast, LOL!).
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

I found Prince Solms Inn by Googling B&Bs in New Braunfels...it was actaully one of the first ones that came up...in fact, it was the only one that I called about. We (my husband, and 3 kids 19, 17, and 12 year olds) had 2 rooms...and stayed for 3 nights. My husband and I stayed in the Library Room...my 3 kids stayed in the Rose Room. My daughters slept in a queen size bed...a rollaway was provided for my son. I made a comment about how comfortable our bed was over breakfast...which my daughters who slept in the queen bed quickly commented on how they loved their bed ...the most comfortable they had ever slept in. The temperature of the room was perfect as well.
I read one negative review about the breakfast....Maybe there has been a change...but there was a variety of things to choose from...yogurt, different cereals, muffins...then a hot breakfast that included a type of egg, bread item, and fruit. Be ready to eat a lot...my 17 year old son who is a bottomless pit was full from it.
I also read another review from someone complaining how loud it was. Before I booked the rooms, I asked Al (the innkeeper) about this. He was very helpful and ensured me that it was a very safe environment since the kids were in a room by themselves as well as the noise level. We did not experiece any of this...and our rooms were upstairs above the bar area. My kids did say that they heard some of the piano music but very faintly.
And speaking of the piano bar after all day at Schlitterbahn and riding the river (which Texas Tubes will shuttle you to right from there)....my husband and I loved going to after a day with 3 teens. The kids hung out in the room playing on the computer while we hung out there.
If you read any negative reviews on Prince Solms I would take it with a grain of salt. Another review that I read said that the fixtures are old....well, yes they are and it's full of antiques ..but that's not a negative thing...I would say they are just nostalgic in a very positive way.
As far as ammenities..there was a review that complained that there weren't enough snacks provided. I never expected them to provide anything....even with 3 kids....the snacks that were provided were fine....
I would reccomend Prince Solms Inn to anyone...Al the Innkeeper is extremelly helpful as well as the others that work there....And did mention how incredibly comfortable the beds were!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We traveled here from Austin in about an hour. Chose the Anniversary Package and were delighted with the roses, wine, and fruit and cheese tray that were waiting for us when we got to our room. The Songbird Room was prettier than the online photo of it. Very much reminded us of a pension we had enjoyed in Vienna with its high ceilings, wallpaper, furnishings and lacy curtains. The entire inn is just charming. We enjoyed quiet time in the courtyard and lounged on the upper balcony after dinner. And we received such warm hospitality and helpful information from Al and Larry. A local river outfitter will pick you up at the inn, take you to their inner tube rental locale where you can rent your inner tube, launch into the Comal, and then be picked up after a nice, long float in the river and returned to the inn. It is true that there is noise from the traffic and from the revelers at the Uptown Piano Bar beneath the inn. But the hosts are thoughtful enough to provide ear plugs along with the bottled water, snacks, and Andes mints that are another special touch. Hubby says the ear plugs blocked out all but the gentle, comforting snoring of his beloved wife! Did I mention he is a gem, as well?? In summary, our visit was like combining two of our favorite vacation activities: discovering enchanting little hideaways in Europe, and relaxing & reconnecting while being immersed in clear, cool water. We won't wait another 35 years to return to this delightful place...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
FREDERICKSBURG, TEXAS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

As a registered nurse I hadn't had a weekend off in 7months, perhaps my expectations were a little too high due to this. I planned a weekend getaway for myself and my two girls (ages 7 and 9) and decided to splurge alittle on this bed and breakfast. $180 for one night stay. The Inn did not allow young children, but did offer subsequent rooms joining the inn. The problem was that the room entrance is located in the courtyard and across from the piano bar (approx. 10 feet). The side of the room is next to the main street, so you can hear street traffic very clearly, and the back of the room faces the parking lot. Unfortunately, we booked this room for a Friday night, not aware of any of the aforementioned above.

I "ll take you thru our experience. The night before, I went on-line and booked the room, attempting to call as well, to confirm everything, since it was the night before. I called at approx. 7:30pm and never received a return phone call, until the next morning (the Inn advertised that it closed at 8pm). The next morning when we arrived, we entered into the Inn and found a young man sitting at a desk behind a lap top computer and after a few moments, he asked if we were checking in. He never even introduced himself or welcomed us to the Inn. There was also a lady working at a desk as I went to the office part and she never acknowledge, greeted or welcomed us to the Inn as well. (So much for feeling friendly, and putting a damper on my excitement). After paying for the room, matter of factly and without conversation or courteous, and on the way to our selected room the young man stated the information about breakfast monotoned and pointed that the dining room was down the hall. I did see the hall of course but also noticed that there was several doorways off that hall. But was unable to ask further questions because he was already walking out the front door. The basket of "goodies" should of been a clue which contained earplugs. Tell me why I want to spend $180 on a room and sleep in earplugs? The basket of "goodies" also contained our chocholate chip cookies, pretzels and bottled water, as mentioned. There were 3 guest and one bag of each with only 2 bottle waters. (Makes it alittle difficult telling your children to share the only bag of chocolate chip cookies and oh, yea...I guess that means I don't get any). The basket itself that contained the "goodies" also contained old crumbs from several previous bags of something. There was also a coffe spill on the floor (next to the bed). The night table contained magazines from 1-2 years ago and an old cookie wrapper which I hope was not from the same time frame. The queen bed had plain white sheets probably 200ct or less with the most uncomfortably pillows of fiber fill. You would think/expect going to an old Inn that there would be nice feather pillows and beautiful bedding. (the comforter and pillow shams were pretty).My girls did enjoy the loft. I once again was surprized to find plain plywood flooring with screws actually sticking up in several places. There was plenty of lighting but none that provided dim lighting for night. (I was so afraid my girls would wake up and fall down the loft stairs that I had to keep a bright lamp on all night. Turned out to not be a problem because I wasn't able to sleep. around 10pm it sounded like there was a party outside our door. There was a number provided on the door to call if the noise was too loud (obviously, a frequent problem) the piano bar guy that answered the phone was very nice and said that he would take care of the problem in 10minutes. A nice thought I guess, but didn't happen. Although, the cussing seem to stop. 17minutes later I called the alternative number provided and received someone stating "this is Al", I didn't know if I had the wrong number or not? I explained the situation and he said he could be there in a few minutes, he was only a few minutes away. ( he did offer to move us to another room but unfortunately, my girls were already asleep) So, there actually was no one at the Inn? Which also brings me to the security issues. Totally, unsafe!!! At approx. 10:30, my door handle was grabbed several times. There was no peep hole in the door, and the windows had outside closed shutters on them making it impossible to see who was there. There also was no phone in the room making for a dangerous situation if I didn't have my cell phone. I might add this might be a fire safety hazard as well (not a professional on that subject, just my thought). The party outside lasted till about 1AM, oh and I forgot to mention the outside traffic ....on friday night, I'm sure you can imagine. There is also a train that runs every several hours that is very loud. So, thinking now that the party is over.....opps, didn't think about clean up time. Yes, about 2AM, the back parking lot was being cleaned of clanking bottles then it was time for the piano bar to clean up their clanking bottles. I was finally able to go to sleep around 5:30AM only to wake at 8:00 to prepare for breakfast. It was at this time that I met "Al" , of course, not formally....no handshake or anything. He did apologize for "last night" and showed us to the dining room. The breakfast was by far the best part and something that even my picky 9year ate, thanks to Al's accomodations. Overall, I read multiple reviews prior to picking this Inn and after my experience, I can't help but wonder where did they stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Sugar Land
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

Our family of six had a nice stay at the historic Prince Solms Inn last weekend. We stayed in the Hays room, and our four kids (ages 6-11) loved sleeping in the loft and enjoyed the Texas Ranger decor. The beds were comfortable and we had plenty of space. We did hear some street noise that night, but we chose not to use the complimentary ear plugs, and all of us fell asleep quickly. Breakfast was generous and tasty. We we offered a ham/egg/cheese/red bell pepper casserole, croissant, cantaloupe, and grapes in addition to the cereal, yogurt, muffins (blueberry and cinnamon streusel), and fruit on the table. We will stay here again the next time we are in the area.

• Liked — historic, unique suite suitable for a large family
  • Disliked — the noise from the street at night
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed here over Labor day wknd and had a great time! We'd been once before but it had been over 3 yrs prior and I had forgotten what an awesome B&B this is! We floated the Comal and arrived around 3pm. Stayed in the Peonie room upstairs, extremely comfortable and plushy bed! They had cookies, peanuts, and water out for us, which was greatly appreciated. Also, they had earplugs for us-this place is very old and the walls are pretty thin! But we just put our earplugs in in the morning and were ok! Delicious breakfast in the morning of scrambled, fluffy eggs, fresh fruit, and sausage kolaches. They brought it out to us in the back patio and we enjoyed the morning air before it got too hot. Besides the breakfast, the best thing about this hotel is their service: from the lady that brought out our food to Al helping us with directions and recommendations for lunch the next day, everyone is extremely friendly and ready to help. The majority of chain hotels and motels in New Braunfels cost pretty much the same as this charming bed and breakfast, so I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay somewhere else!

• Liked — Comfort of bed, distance to river, breakfast
  • Disliked — Walls are extremely thin, can hear other people in their room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Prince Solms Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!