“What a Wonderful Vacation Expericence!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Prince Solms Inn Bed and Breakfast

Prince Solms Inn Bed and Breakfast
You added Prince Solms Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Prince Solms Inn Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   295 East San Antonio Street, New Braunfels, TX 78130   |
Ranked #7 of 18 New Braunfels B&B and Inns
houston
“What a Wonderful Vacation Expericence!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

I found Prince Solms Inn by Googling B&Bs in New Braunfels...it was actaully one of the first ones that came up...in fact, it was the only one that I called about. We (my husband, and 3 kids 19, 17, and 12 year olds) had 2 rooms...and stayed for 3 nights. My husband and I stayed in the Library Room...my 3 kids stayed in the Rose Room. My daughters slept in a queen size bed...a rollaway was provided for my son. I made a comment about how comfortable our bed was over breakfast...which my daughters who slept in the queen bed quickly commented on how they loved their bed ...the most comfortable they had ever slept in. The temperature of the room was perfect as well.
I read one negative review about the breakfast....Maybe there has been a change...but there was a variety of things to choose from...yogurt, different cereals, muffins...then a hot breakfast that included a type of egg, bread item, and fruit. Be ready to eat a lot...my 17 year old son who is a bottomless pit was full from it.
I also read another review from someone complaining how loud it was. Before I booked the rooms, I asked Al (the innkeeper) about this. He was very helpful and ensured me that it was a very safe environment since the kids were in a room by themselves as well as the noise level. We did not experiece any of this...and our rooms were upstairs above the bar area. My kids did say that they heard some of the piano music but very faintly.
And speaking of the piano bar after all day at Schlitterbahn and riding the river (which Texas Tubes will shuttle you to right from there)....my husband and I loved going to after a day with 3 teens. The kids hung out in the room playing on the computer while we hung out there.
If you read any negative reviews on Prince Solms I would take it with a grain of salt. Another review that I read said that the fixtures are old....well, yes they are and it's full of antiques ..but that's not a negative thing...I would say they are just nostalgic in a very positive way.
As far as ammenities..there was a review that complained that there weren't enough snacks provided. I never expected them to provide anything....even with 3 kids....the snacks that were provided were fine....
I would reccomend Prince Solms Inn to anyone...Al the Innkeeper is extremelly helpful as well as the others that work there....And did mention how incredibly comfortable the beds were!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We traveled here from Austin in about an hour. Chose the Anniversary Package and were delighted with the roses, wine, and fruit and cheese tray that were waiting for us when we got to our room. The Songbird Room was prettier than the online photo of it. Very much reminded us of a pension we had enjoyed in Vienna with its high ceilings, wallpaper, furnishings and lacy curtains. The entire inn is just charming. We enjoyed quiet time in the courtyard and lounged on the upper balcony after dinner. And we received such warm hospitality and helpful information from Al and Larry. A local river outfitter will pick you up at the inn, take you to their inner tube rental locale where you can rent your inner tube, launch into the Comal, and then be picked up after a nice, long float in the river and returned to the inn. It is true that there is noise from the traffic and from the revelers at the Uptown Piano Bar beneath the inn. But the hosts are thoughtful enough to provide ear plugs along with the bottled water, snacks, and Andes mints that are another special touch. Hubby says the ear plugs blocked out all but the gentle, comforting snoring of his beloved wife! Did I mention he is a gem, as well?? In summary, our visit was like combining two of our favorite vacation activities: discovering enchanting little hideaways in Europe, and relaxing & reconnecting while being immersed in clear, cool water. We won't wait another 35 years to return to this delightful place...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
FREDERICKSBURG, TEXAS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

As a registered nurse I hadn't had a weekend off in 7months, perhaps my expectations were a little too high due to this. I planned a weekend getaway for myself and my two girls (ages 7 and 9) and decided to splurge alittle on this bed and breakfast. $180 for one night stay. The Inn did not allow young children, but did offer subsequent rooms joining the inn. The problem was that the room entrance is located in the courtyard and across from the piano bar (approx. 10 feet). The side of the room is next to the main street, so you can hear street traffic very clearly, and the back of the room faces the parking lot. Unfortunately, we booked this room for a Friday night, not aware of any of the aforementioned above.

I "ll take you thru our experience. The night before, I went on-line and booked the room, attempting to call as well, to confirm everything, since it was the night before. I called at approx. 7:30pm and never received a return phone call, until the next morning (the Inn advertised that it closed at 8pm). The next morning when we arrived, we entered into the Inn and found a young man sitting at a desk behind a lap top computer and after a few moments, he asked if we were checking in. He never even introduced himself or welcomed us to the Inn. There was also a lady working at a desk as I went to the office part and she never acknowledge, greeted or welcomed us to the Inn as well. (So much for feeling friendly, and putting a damper on my excitement). After paying for the room, matter of factly and without conversation or courteous, and on the way to our selected room the young man stated the information about breakfast monotoned and pointed that the dining room was down the hall. I did see the hall of course but also noticed that there was several doorways off that hall. But was unable to ask further questions because he was already walking out the front door. The basket of "goodies" should of been a clue which contained earplugs. Tell me why I want to spend $180 on a room and sleep in earplugs? The basket of "goodies" also contained our chocholate chip cookies, pretzels and bottled water, as mentioned. There were 3 guest and one bag of each with only 2 bottle waters. (Makes it alittle difficult telling your children to share the only bag of chocolate chip cookies and oh, yea...I guess that means I don't get any). The basket itself that contained the "goodies" also contained old crumbs from several previous bags of something. There was also a coffe spill on the floor (next to the bed). The night table contained magazines from 1-2 years ago and an old cookie wrapper which I hope was not from the same time frame. The queen bed had plain white sheets probably 200ct or less with the most uncomfortably pillows of fiber fill. You would think/expect going to an old Inn that there would be nice feather pillows and beautiful bedding. (the comforter and pillow shams were pretty).My girls did enjoy the loft. I once again was surprized to find plain plywood flooring with screws actually sticking up in several places. There was plenty of lighting but none that provided dim lighting for night. (I was so afraid my girls would wake up and fall down the loft stairs that I had to keep a bright lamp on all night. Turned out to not be a problem because I wasn't able to sleep. around 10pm it sounded like there was a party outside our door. There was a number provided on the door to call if the noise was too loud (obviously, a frequent problem) the piano bar guy that answered the phone was very nice and said that he would take care of the problem in 10minutes. A nice thought I guess, but didn't happen. Although, the cussing seem to stop. 17minutes later I called the alternative number provided and received someone stating "this is Al", I didn't know if I had the wrong number or not? I explained the situation and he said he could be there in a few minutes, he was only a few minutes away. ( he did offer to move us to another room but unfortunately, my girls were already asleep) So, there actually was no one at the Inn? Which also brings me to the security issues. Totally, unsafe!!! At approx. 10:30, my door handle was grabbed several times. There was no peep hole in the door, and the windows had outside closed shutters on them making it impossible to see who was there. There also was no phone in the room making for a dangerous situation if I didn't have my cell phone. I might add this might be a fire safety hazard as well (not a professional on that subject, just my thought). The party outside lasted till about 1AM, oh and I forgot to mention the outside traffic ....on friday night, I'm sure you can imagine. There is also a train that runs every several hours that is very loud. So, thinking now that the party is over.....opps, didn't think about clean up time. Yes, about 2AM, the back parking lot was being cleaned of clanking bottles then it was time for the piano bar to clean up their clanking bottles. I was finally able to go to sleep around 5:30AM only to wake at 8:00 to prepare for breakfast. It was at this time that I met "Al" , of course, not formally....no handshake or anything. He did apologize for "last night" and showed us to the dining room. The breakfast was by far the best part and something that even my picky 9year ate, thanks to Al's accomodations. Overall, I read multiple reviews prior to picking this Inn and after my experience, I can't help but wonder where did they stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Sugar Land
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

Our family of six had a nice stay at the historic Prince Solms Inn last weekend. We stayed in the Hays room, and our four kids (ages 6-11) loved sleeping in the loft and enjoyed the Texas Ranger decor. The beds were comfortable and we had plenty of space. We did hear some street noise that night, but we chose not to use the complimentary ear plugs, and all of us fell asleep quickly. Breakfast was generous and tasty. We we offered a ham/egg/cheese/red bell pepper casserole, croissant, cantaloupe, and grapes in addition to the cereal, yogurt, muffins (blueberry and cinnamon streusel), and fruit on the table. We will stay here again the next time we are in the area.

• Liked — historic, unique suite suitable for a large family
  • Disliked — the noise from the street at night
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed here over Labor day wknd and had a great time! We'd been once before but it had been over 3 yrs prior and I had forgotten what an awesome B&B this is! We floated the Comal and arrived around 3pm. Stayed in the Peonie room upstairs, extremely comfortable and plushy bed! They had cookies, peanuts, and water out for us, which was greatly appreciated. Also, they had earplugs for us-this place is very old and the walls are pretty thin! But we just put our earplugs in in the morning and were ok! Delicious breakfast in the morning of scrambled, fluffy eggs, fresh fruit, and sausage kolaches. They brought it out to us in the back patio and we enjoyed the morning air before it got too hot. Besides the breakfast, the best thing about this hotel is their service: from the lady that brought out our food to Al helping us with directions and recommendations for lunch the next day, everyone is extremely friendly and ready to help. The majority of chain hotels and motels in New Braunfels cost pretty much the same as this charming bed and breakfast, so I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay somewhere else!

• Liked — Comfort of bed, distance to river, breakfast
  • Disliked — Walls are extremely thin, can hear other people in their room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
The Woodlands, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

My husband, 8 year old son and I just returned from staying 2 nights at the Prince Solms Inn. We stayed in the Texas Room which is a very family friendly room in the "Feed Store". It has a King size bed and also a loft with a double bed which my son loved! Breakfast was excellent and the Innkeeper and assistant were very helpful.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
mesquite, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

My husband and I and our two teenagers just returned from our stay at Prince Solms. Our room was the Texas Room located in the old Feed Store building. The room was great - lots of room to move around. Kitchen, washer and dryer great too ! Made it very easy to wash and dry our beach towels after tubing the Comal River. The breakfast was wonderful...especially the quiche ! Breakfast was very filling and even had cereal for my picky teenager ! The second morning my daughter and I didn't want to get up right away so they allowed my husband to bring breakfast to us...actually, they brought it to us on a tray to our room. The staff showed us around the main inn and we enjoyed seeing all the different rooms/themes. My husband and I would like to return for a couples weekend. When we wanted to go tubing, the staff called to have us picked up at the hotel and then the river outfitter returned us when we were done. Staff very friendly and accommodating. We also would like to return with our extended family to go tubing again. They have rooms in the Feed Store Building that connect to one another. These rooms are very family friendly. If you want more romance and more antiques, stay in the main inn. Definitely recommend !!!!!

Stayed June 2008

Been to Prince Solms Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!