“Incredible crazy place... avoid!” 1 of 5 stars

Antoinette's Cottage
1258 Gruene Rd., New Braunfels, TX 78130   |
Ranked #12 of 18 New Braunfels B&B and Inns
San Antonio, Texas
“Incredible crazy place... avoid!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Dogs everywhere. Intrusive, lonely proprietor who won't leave you alone. Wasps all over. No locks on doors. Truly the strangest experience ever. We left and stayed elsewhere for safety concerns. Check other reviews. Gruene is a blast, just don't stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I had a most delightful weekend at Antoinettes's Cottage, the personalized touches were just priceless. I have been to many hotels Hiltons , Hyatts and Lowes Resorts but I never saw all the service and attention I got here. I was made to feel comfortable and more at home than anywhere I have visited. I plan to visit often. If you over look this gem you are missing out and cheating yourself.

Room Tip: all the rooms are so good it is so hard to pick one
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011 via mobile

Since it was the last weekend before school started, I was having a hard time finding a place to celebrate my birthday weekend. Luckily Antoinette's Cottage was the one place that wasn't completely booked up. I got a chance to book the whole weekend for me and my girlfriends. The owner, Cheryle, gave me a chance to get my plans together and book the room beforehand. The day I checked in she showed me around the place and made me feel very welcome and at home. Breakfast was scrumptious in the mornings and even though I missed breakfast the first morning, she was nice enough to serve me, later that morning, after I woke up; which I thought was incredibly sweet of her! The day I was to check out I had plans to float the river and, Cheryle was nice enough to let me borrow one of her tubes for the float! I had such a great experience here that I stayed here again in late August with my friend, Rory, from Kansas. He was totally blown away with Gruene and Cheryle's wonderful southern hospitality! Thank you, Ms. Cheryle! :o)

• Stayed July 2011
Deer Park, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

I had booked "Hannah's Room" from the website which apparently does not even exist. We were put in one room which we changed from because the bedroom door wouldn't even close. Breakfast was not what was advertised on the website. I think we got whatever she found left in the refrigerator. We also got to visit with her 5 dogs that she let in for breakfast. Lot's of fun eating with jumping dogs all around you. Cheryl is also very foul mouthed and we got to listen to tirades about her sisters. We sweated the first night until my husband found the thermostat and turned the heat off on the second night. You can not open any of the windows. There is an outdoor bar across the street that goes until midnight and after that you hear all the cars racing out of town. We were in the front bedroom and heard every car go down the road and the trash trucks bright and early also. The place is kind of in a falling down condition and not what you expect from a B&B at all. Maybe more of a very expensive youth hostel.

Linda

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything, was not what was posted on her website
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
dancer5224, owner at Antoinette's Cottage, responded to this review, February 19, 2009
I'm very sorry that this guest did not express her concerns to me in a timely manner. She was placed in the most requested room, with her own air conditioner. The air conditioner can be turned on to give white noise to drown out the NEW bar across the street, which has since been made to tone down their noise after several complaints, as well as to cool the room. The dogs will no longer be residing on premises. The outside is undergoing repair and rehab as stated in the website. Winter is the only time I can work on the building as I am so busy otherwise.
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

We stayed here after Hurricane Ike when we lost our power for 3 weeks in Houston - We stayed almost a week - The owner was very hospitable - the 2 bedroom purple room suite was a godsend as i could close the big solid pocket doors and close off my snoring husband -the bedrooms were decorated in authentic period antiques - the 12 foot ceilings the wide plank hardwood floors were gleaming- the fabulous lush bed linens made me feel like Lady of the manor- and the location is right in the heart of shopping and restaurants-the homemade Kolaches the covered verandah-reminded me of my Grandmas plantation house in Mississippi- The towns of Austin & San antonio are also close by so if you want to see the Alamo the Riverwalk too its right there -Fabulous -I highly recommend it to anyone going to Gruene !! The Doyles

Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Midland, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

My sister and I love to meet up at least once a year and get away together. We had a great experince staying here. We sharred a room but we were not crowded. The bathroom more than met two girls trying to get ready at the same time. The owner recommended several great spots to visit, and her tea was to die for. I kept trying to get the receipe from her. Breakfast was very filling and more than we could eat. It was Novemeber when we stayed, so as we sat on the front porch, it had agreat breeze blowing and all the trees were changing colors as the busy world just passed by. Very relaxing. My sister and I already made reservations again for next year!

Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2008

This was the worst experience ever. The A/C was broken so every night it was freezing cold and during the day muggy and Cheryl refused to call anyone, fix it or give us any credit. The so-called grand breakfast was kolaches (one per person) one day and fast food burritos the next, plus we had to wake her up! She complained when we asked for fresh towels which she never gave us, she wanted us to reuse the ones we had and we ran out of toilet paper and had to buy our own because we cleaned our own rooms! Not to mention she lets her dogs run in and out of the whole place and one dog had gotten into a skunk! She rarely knocks and is constantly coming into your room, and we just felt she had to be lonely or something. We had also agreed to a cheaper rate because we were debating between two B&Bs to stay at and she gave us a cheaper price but when we got there she claimed she never agreed to it. Overall it was a bad experience and we will never go back.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Too many things to list..
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
dancer5224, owner at Antoinette's Cottage, responded to this review, November 6, 2009
I had a family emergency and had to leave for the day and evening on Sat. I asked these ladies if I could clean this room before I left at 2:00 P.M. They refused to let me and assured me they had plenty of towels, toilet paper, etc. I was surprised when they told me the next morning they had run out, as I place three double rolls of TP in each bathroom. One of the women insisted on calling the dogs into the room against my objections on Friday, and all were constantly coming to the connecting door and asking for wine glasses, openers, napkins, directions, ironing boards, fans, etc., hence my coming and going. They left their door open indicating they wished me to come in to bring the many items they had requested, and each time I did come in, I was asked many questions, hence the conversations. I do not know of any other B&B which provides this kind of service, as we are not 5 star hotels with room service staff.
As to the breakfast, I serve breakfast tacos from the same place everyone else does, so I do not know what she was expecting. I offer a great deal more on these tacos with lots of homemade salsa, pico de gallo, fruit, etc. I discuss breakfast with guests at check-in and they agreed to it and told me how many of each item they thought they would eat. Apparently, someone had a much larger appetite than indicated, although no one told me they wished more, as I had much to throw away.

I never agreed to a cheaper price, as this was the Wine Festival, and I could have booked this room many times over at a higher rate, as my competitors do. I believe she had confused me with another establishment further from Gruene. I think this confusion generated her hostile response.

Been to Antoinette's Cottage? Share your experiences!