“So so ..” 3 of 5 stars

Earn a $50 Gift Card
Ranked #9 of 29 hotels in New Braunfels
“So so ..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

After reading mixed reviews, I didn't know what to expect but I left not angry so that is good.

Hotel Layout: The room I rented was a King Suite w a sofa bed and it was in the internal section of the hotel, first floor. I didn't know that was the case until I called and asked. I prefer to be interior versus outside entrance. I feel that anyone can just burst through your doors if your door is outside access to the public. Although my room was interior and I felt safer, strange that the side doors do NOT require key entry so anyone and I mean ANYONE can enter. Some reviewer said this and I thought it can't be but yes, it can and it is true. The layout of the breakfast area is very strange. The sitting area was right there in the lobby when you enter .. not tucked away in the corner, just right there to the right when you enter to check in. The side table to the right of check in which is where the walkway is .. is where breakfast will be placed. Strange. Granted, you won't have people walking in and out at breakfast time but still .. right in the hallway? The corner had TWO waffle machines which is good. Never understood places that have one. Basic breakfast which suits me just fine. I don't' expect a four star breakfast since this is not a four star hotel.

Rooms/Beds: My room was a bit bigger than standard considering it was a king suite w sofabed. We had two tvs (one in front of sofabed) and one in front of king bed. They were divided by the bathroom so it was kinda separate. The sofabed was flimsy but most are. Thin and blankets were thin (flannel .. not even a comforter). King bed was hard. Why are most beds hard in hotel rooms? Makes me love my mattress even more. Pillows were thick and bulky. How does anyone lay their heads on it. I have a hard enough time with flat pillows. I lay with my shoulders/head on the pillow. My neck hurts the usual way. Bathroom was not as new and the whole place seem dated. All items worked so no problems there for us.

Front desk: Read bad reviews on management and Britney but the girl on duty when I checked in was Bianca. She was suprisingly helpful and nice. So keep in mind not every person is bad there.

Room Tip: Ask for interior if you are afraid of outside access like me.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Smithtown
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We had a downstairs room, the door wouldn't open all of the way - the floor was uneven by the door. Our daughter was inspecting the room, and thought it smelled like poop - our niece used the restroom and the toilet was clogged. My husband thought the room smelled like urine, a family member staying in the room next to us said her room smelled the same way. Since there was no type of brush on the bottom of the door, crickets came to visit! My husband surmised that when they put the bar up in the bathroom and cracked the tub surround, water is leaking into the walls causing the smell and the damp, damp, damp room (so damp that our clothes were damp). We were prevented from parking close to our rooms as there were a few men hanging out in the parking lot - seriously, at 1:00 in the morning?! Felt totally uncomfortable. Not to mention that the outside lights by the doors were not on. This is the first hotel we've stayed at in recent years that didn't have a flat screen tv, no microwave, no mini-fridge. Don't use the iron!! The first hour we were there, we had to have the manager plunge the toilet and while he was there I addressed the iron that was leaking rusty water all over my new clothes...he said that housekeeping must have over-filled it. Really? Leaking from the sides? And rusty to boot?

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BestWesternNB, Owner at BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest. Thank you for staying with us at the Best Western Inn & Suites. I would like to apologize for all of the inconveniences you had during your stay with us. I assure you we are working diligently to take care of all of these issues. We took over this hotel a few months ago, and are in the process of totally upgrading this hotel. We have begun making these changes now and once complete the hotel will look and feel completely different. I would be honored if you would give us another try to prove to you that our priority is, and will always remain, our guests. Thank you for choosing our hotel, I hope to see you on your next visit.
sanantonio texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

speechless...staffing was very friendly and very clean on rooms. breakfast was great! I'd like to give many thanks to the manager (mayur bhagat) and maintenance (roger) for going out of their way to help us in not only our welcome there but also on our car problems. as we were about to leave our car wouldnt start. so mayur and roger were there to help a lending hand! Thank you! I would highly recommend this hotel for future visits.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed there Sunday night after a full day in New Braunfels/Gruene. Room was very clean and place was quiet. Breakfast and coffee offered was a good selection. The best thing about the stay was the hotel manager on duty Monday morning & maintenance person. My car wouldn't start when was planning to leave, and they went out of their way to help me and my partner not only travel to purchase a new battery, but even helped install it. They were eager to help, and spent over an hour dealing with this. Unbelievable service from nice people which is rare these days

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We thought hotel was great. We had room on inside on first floor. Room was clean, beds very comfortable. Free breakfast was good, good selection of sweet rolls, cereal. fruit, & waffles. Coffee was excellent, no need to find Starbucks for coffee! Front desk, Bianca, was very friendly and brought towels to us in hot tub where we were relaxing after day at Schlitterbahn before dressing to go to dinner. We would stay there again, convenient location for activities and Wendy's close by for quick snack(dollar menu great for quick snack to hold you over until dinner if you have had a full day on the river or Schlitterbahn ). Lobby was clean, comfortable couches and big screen tv to watch. Cleaning staff nice, gave us extra shampoo(since girls always use more shampoo, lol) gave us plastic bag to put wet swimsuits when leaving.

Room Tip: We had room on inside on 1st floor, not sure how rooms on the outside are. I had read negative revie...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Houston area, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Pros:
Friendly staff when we checked in.
Room seemed very clean (no hair in the bathtub, linens smelled fresh).
Surprisingly quiet.
They have a special remote for the tv that is supposedly anti microbial and easy to clean. (seems small, but it was cool).

Cons:
I booked on a low price guaranteed type of site but called the hotel to see if they did price matching. They do not. I prefer to book through the hotel to get any sort of rewards they might offer.
Hotel/Motel set up. Some doors were inside in a hallway. Ours was on the outside of the building and you had to force the door shut.
Not all rooms offer a fridge or microwave.
Limited seating in breakfast area. Maybe not so bad during the week, but on the Saturday morning, we had to sit on the couches and eat from the coffee table.
Breakfast only offers basic foods; boiled eggs and a waffle maker were available. (Waffles were tasty). No biscuits, gravy, or other items you might think would be on the buffet.
At first I thought it was just me, but room is somewhat damp. On the second day our room smelled slightly of mildew.
Our room was non smoking, but the people next door would just step outside and smoke. This allowed some of the smell to come into our room.
This hotel has been around for a while and you can tell it hasn't had any renovations in a while.

And maybe it's just because we were there on the weekend and the location is naturally higher priced -- but this room WAS NOT WORTH the rate we paid, even using the discount hotel finder. Next time I will stay a few minutes farther from Schlitterbahn to get the quality I expect for the dollars I spend.

Room Tip: Not all rooms offer microwave and fridge. To upgrade from a King with Sofabed to a King with Microwa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

LOL, after spending $120+ to stay the night at a primitive 'pitch-a-tent' campground located on the Guadalupe and tube with my 2 kids, I would take the discounted luxury of my Jacuzzi suite ANYDAY over camping/tubing.

For almost the same rate as camping/tubing, I got a room with a King bed, queen hide away sofa, Jacuzzi, pool, fridge & microwave (which weren't even in the Hilton at Austin Airpoirt the last 3 times I stayed), A/C (which doesn't come stock with camping, lol), WIFI & cell service (which I do wish was secured *hint, hint*), and cable t.v.

Pool stayed open till 10pm ... which my kids LOVED. And the location is perfect, close to the Guadalupe River and Schlitterbahn. And still only 30 minutes from San Antonio if you're looking to check out the Alamo, the Zoo, Sea World, Fiesta TX, and many more attractions there.

Room Tip: Shop around online for affordable rates. Calling the hotel directly doesn't seem to be as benef...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!