“33 Years and counting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Resort at Schlitterbahn

Save Saved
You added The Resort at Schlitterbahn to your Saves list
The Resort at Schlitterbahn
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   305 West Austin Street, New Braunfels, TX 78130 (Formerly Schlitterbahn Resort at New Braunfels)   |
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in New Braunfels
Sugar Land, Texas
“33 Years and counting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have gone to the Schlitterbahn at New Braunsfels every year since it opened 33 years ago. Then there was no TV in the room, a phone or even a coffee pot. It was called Landa Resorts and the Schlitterbahn was down the road.

Best family vacation spot ever. Now my kids that I took are bringing their kids and even their kids' kids, (great grandkids).

Every year the Schlitterbahn would be adding new rides and it was fun to find the new ones. The first year they only had four "mat rides" that came down from the "castle". That castle is still there, without the mat rides but it is the symbol of all the fun we've had.

Eventually, the Schlitterbahn grew to Landa Resorts and it became Schlitterbahn Resort.

And as Paul Harvey, (who?, ask your parents), would say, "Now you know the rest of the story".

Room Tip: We stay in the rooms #156, 158, 159, 160 and 162. They're near the Bahnzai tube rides and are c...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SchlitterbahnNB, Director of Lodging at The Resort at Schlitterbahn, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
M Evan R,

I love your review! The Resort at Schlitterbahn strives to provide a fun, exciting and relaxing atmosphere for families of all sizes. We have grown quite a bit since 1979 and are still growing today. Many great memories have been created here throughout the years and we look forward to hosting you and your family again in 2014!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I just got back from an enjoyable stay at Schlitterbahn with the extended family (June 21-24) . We have been staying in Mulberry Haus (#470) on the weekend after Father's Day for a few years. The house is perfect for us - 3 bedrooms (1 with king bed, 2 with 2 queens each) plus 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, living room, and great deck. The house could use some updates and is looking a little worn. The mattresses really need replaced - lumpy and hard. We have had problems with the wifi signal during previous stays, but we couldn't get a signal at all this trip. Also, one of the burners on the stovetop would get really hot when the oven was used. I expected the burner to be cold (the dial was OFF) and burned myself one morning while baking biscuits. I let the staff know when I checked out so hopefully someone will fix it since it presents a danger. The house was clean and we had maid service daily, which was nice. I didn't really notice the trains unless we were outside on the deck.

We really love the convenience of having accommodations right near the park. The original section is a short walk away. We can either ride a tram, walk, or drive over to the new section. It's easy to stop by the house for a rest break or snack then head back to the water park. We also enjoy getting into Blastenhoff an hour before the general park opening time. It seems like many people are catching on to that because lines for Master Blaster and Wolf Pack were longer this year than last year for that hour. Of course, they weren't nearly as bad as they are when the park is open to the general public.

I can't say that I like the Stay and Play package that they implemented last year. Previously, we would spend a day doing something else in the area - river tubing, Natural Bridge Caverns, Gruene, etc., but when you have to pay for the park whether you use it or not, you feel like you need to go every day so you aren't wasting money. In 2012 it was $25 per person per day that was added to the hotel bill, but you only had to pay it for the nights that people actually stayed. Last year we had a group of 10 for two nights then only 6 for the last night. We had to pay the $25 each for 10 for two nights but only paid for 6 on the last night.

Apparently they changed the Stay & Play policy again this year and I didn't find out until we got there. We had a group of 9 who were staying for 2 nights but only 7 for the last night. I was told that I had to pay for all 9 for all three nights even though we only had 7 for Sunday night. Also, the price has gone up from $25 per person to $30 per person this year. The convenience of having a house located just outside the gate to the original section is wonderful, but having to pay the Stay and Play rates for people who aren't there doesn't seem right.

Even though I had to pay an extra $60 for park admissions for people who didn't use them on Sunday, I think the amount we paid for Mulberry Haus was still reasonable. The price went up this year over last year. We paid $420/night for the house for June 22-25, 2012 plus the extra $25 per person per day for the Stay & Play. This year we paid $467.25/night for June 21-24 plus the extra $30 per person per day for the Stay & Play. I reserved Mulberry Haus for our annual family trip for next year, but I'm not sure if we're going to keep the reservation. The price for our usual weekend in 2014 jumped to $663 per night for the house. That a 42% increase over this year's price! I was shocked that the price has gone up so much. Unless Schlitterbahn is planning some major renovations to Mulberry Haus, I don't think it is worth that kind of pricing! They don't have the mandatory Stay & Play pricing posted yet for 2014 so I don't know how much extra that will add to the bill. If that also increases, I think we'll cancel Schlitterbahn resort and look for other housing options for the family trip next year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SchlitterbahnNB, Director of Lodging at The Resort at Schlitterbahn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Kyriecat,

Thank you for your review! I’m so glad to hear that you and your family had a great time! The convenience of staying onsite and visiting the park cannot be beat. The extended ride time at Blastenhoff and Boogie Bahn are a great perk as well. There are a variety of accommodations that we have to offer so there’s always something for every family and every price point. We hope to see you again in 2014.

Richmond, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I want to start off by saying that I love Schlitterbahn and I have been going to Schlitterbahn New Braunfels for over 30 years. I have watched it grow from very small waterpark to what it is today. I have stayed at the resort several times also, so I don't have very high expectations of the rooms. With that being said, I was extremely disappointed with the room during our last stay. We were placed in a room outside the resort area which is in a building with 3 other rooms across the street from the Schlitterbahn christmas store. When I have booked online in the past you have been able to see where your room location is (by the room number) and I noticed they have taken away this feature. I would not have booked this room if I knew where it was located. I would have preferrred to stay in the cheapest Motel 6 or Super 8 in town and that would have been an upgrade over this dumpy room. I will post some pictures of the furniture from our room. It looks like it was purchased at a garage sale or picked up from a dump. The rooms are at a premium price and have been for several years. It seems as if all the money is being spent on building new rooms and buying up properties all over town (which they can rent out at a ridiculous price) instead of making the capital improvements at their existing properties, which by the way are beyond overdue. We had problems with our toilet, a very old shower, and a phone which doesn't work to call the front desk. The only positive comment I have about this place is the maintenance staff. The guy who responded was the nicest person we encountered at the resort and took care of the toilet and shower issue. He also explained that none of the resort buttons on the phones (front desk, housekeeping, etc) work now in any of the rooms. Not a huge deal, I finally just used my cell phone, but why not black the buttons out or something if you aren't going to reprogram them. I feel sorry for all the staff from the front desk to the maintance because I can imagine they have to deal with disgruntled people all day long who are shocked at the one star accomodations that they paid a four or five star price for. Be very careful choosing your room location and decide if the ticket discount is worth it to stay here. For me this time it surely was NOT worth it. We would have checked out a couple of hours after getting there, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find another hotel in New Braunfels that wasn't booked up at the last minute.

Room Tip: Choose your location carefully and ask when the room was last renovated.
Kaykayram,

Thank you for your recent review. I’m sorry to hear of your disappointment in our resort. I have passed your comments on to our maintenance team and management team. Your comments are very important to our team as we evaluate our processes and procedures. If you would like to discuss your stay further, you may call me directly at 830.608.3270.

Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at the Schlitterbahn “Resort” for two nights (on a Tuesday and Wednesday) in mid-June. We have a family of six, with children ages 11, 4, 2, and 8 mos. We rented a one-bedroom suite (#103) and did the package deal – the “Stay and Play” – that included the Schlitterbahn waterpark tickets.

When we arrived mid-afternoon on Tuesday, my first impression was very much like what other TA reviewers have described…much like a state park campground. The word “resort” is very much a misnomer and is misleading to people who have never visited there before. There was a long line to check in and only two people working the counter. When we checked in, the clerk said we had to go ahead and get wristbands, and that the desk clerk HAD to put them on our wrists, so every member of the family had to get out of the car and come in for that. (Not sure why I couldn’t take the wristbands and put them on ourselves. That would definitely help the line at check in.) I asked the check-in clerk to confirm that we had asked for a crib when we made our reservation, and she confirmed that. I said that we would DEFINITELY need a crib, and she said they have pack-n-plays and that they would bring one to our room. We went in to our room and hurriedly dumped our belongings, since we were headed to an out-of-town event. In the ten minutes or so that took us, we noticed that it was VERY warm in the room. Checked the thermostat, and it was 85 degrees even with the A/C running. Since we were in a huge hurry, we decided to wait and see if maybe they had just turned the unit on prior to our arrival. We returned around midnight, after attending the out of town event, and guess what? No crib, no pack-n-play, nothing. The A/C, thankfully, had finally started working though and the temp was in the mid-seventies. I called the front office about the crib, and she said she would call me back. About five minutes later, she called me back and said they had a pack n’play but that “security only handled emergencies” and I would have to come and get it myself. Since my husband was in the middle of bathing and changing our (very tired and cranky) youngest children, I went across the dark parking lot alone, and proceeded to haul a heavy pack n’play up the hill to our room – which was THANKFULLY only about 50-75 yards from the office. I returned to our room, sweaty and irritated, only to have my husband tell me that there was no stopper in the bathtub. Needless to say, all of this did not form the best first impression on the first night of our stay.

I will summarize our views of the “resort” with the following:
Pros – the absolute best parts of this place are (1) they give you a one-hour early admission to the Blastenhoff section of the water park, (2) you get discounted tickets to the water park as a “resort” guest, and (3) the close proximity to the water park means that you can walk back and forth from your room to the water park. If you have very young children who will need to nap during the day, this can be a lifesaver. Those three things, and those three things alone, are the reasons that our family will return to this property. That being said, we will be staying in another area of the “resort” on future trips.
Cons – As other reviewers have stated, (1) part of the property is right next to a train track. And by right next to, I mean our room was within 100 yards. We brought two very loud table fans with us on our trip that we always use in our bedroom, so they thankfully drowned out most of the train noise while we were sleeping. (2) The A/C is absolutely dismal. It worked at night – thankfully – but during the day, it only managed to cool the room to about 82 degrees at best. Not sure if the units are just old, or what the problem is, but it’s unacceptable, particularly at the rates they charge. The Texas heat is unforgiving, and travelers deserve a working A/C at the rates they are charging. (3) The crib thing – see above – was VERY irritating. We asked for it on our reservation, then asked for it again when we checked in. Do we REALLY have to ask a third time? Not to mention, walk across a dark parking lot and drag it to the room ourselves? What if I had been a single parent traveling alone? Or what if I had physical limitations? Is this really the type of "customer service experience" you want to provide? I was not so upset about the fact that they neglected to bring the pack n'play to our room after two requests as I was about the fact that I was told our only option was to go and get it ourselves. Unacceptable.

As other reviewers have stated, the property is old, very basic, and not at all luxurious. I am fine with all of that given the pros listed above IF they will fix the A/C and be more proactive and responsive when servicing guest requests. Like I said, we will return ONLY because of the three main pros listed above, but we’ll stay in one of the newer areas, where the A/C will hopefully be working properly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the railroad tracks. Also, be sure your A/C is working properly before you...
TruTexasGrl,

Thank you for your recent review. I’m very disappointed to hear about your troubles during your stay. We strive to provide our guests with excellent customer service and I’m sorry that you and your family did not receive this specialized service. As you mentioned the extended ride time at Blastenhoff and the Boogie Bahn is a great perk to staying onsite. The convenience of being able to return to your room during the day for naps and meals can’t be beat.

Your comments are very helpful in our future planning. We have a wide variety of room types and locations so there’s something for everyone.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Was very disappointed in my stay here at the Schlitterbahn resort in June 2013. Let me start by saying that when I pay a certain amount of money for a hotel room, there come with it a certain set of expectations. Those expectations were not met in this case. The room we stayed in (203) apparently has not been updated since what would appear to be the mid 1980s. There were a number of issues we had during our stay here that made it quite unpleasant.

- The Check-in process:
Very disorganized and SLOW. We arrived prior to the 4:00 check in time and encountered a line about 5 families deep. Not incredibly long, granted, but we waited for no less than 40 minutes to make it to a front desk agent. They were all very pleasant, but whatever system they use for check in here seem to be very ineffective. Couldn't quite figure out what was taking so long. Since we arrived prior to check in time, we had to return after 4 to retrieve our room keys. When I returned at 5, the line was to the door. After waiting in line for 30 minutes, I was told there was a different line I could get into if I had already checked in and just needed to retrieve my key. I got into the other line and waited for another approximately 20 minutes (with only 2 guests ahead of me), before finally asking if I could come back later. All told, I waited nearly an hour to get my room key, and in the end, left without even having gotten it. I went back after dinner to get it when there were no other guests in line.

-The Room:
The room was just awful in a number of ways. The shower was full of mold, and cracked caulking. The shower head was below my chest (I am of average height), resulting in my having to take my showers bent over to get under the falling water. Apparently the bathroom was originally designed for Oompa Loompas. On one instance after a long day in the park and river, I went back to the room to clean up before dinner and found there to be no hot water and no water pressure to the point that water was just coming out in a trickle. Called the front desk, and they dispatched maintenance. An hour later, maintenance had not arrived, so cold showers were in the cards for us.

We were also kept awake all night on our first night staying due to a very loudly rattling window and high pitched screech of the refrigerator. I was finally (at about 2:30 AM) able to rig up a system on the window by placing the ice bucket in the window sill and forcing it to lean onto the window by putting the mini blinds on top of that, which abated the awful rattling somewhat. The refrigerator situation was remedied by unplugging it, effectively ruining our pizza leftovers that were stored inside, but giving us a merciful rest by stopping the noise. Our slumber was often disrupted, too, by inexplicable shaking of the bed every few minutes. Our room was right above the maintenance or laundry room, so presumably, this shaking was the spin cycle of the washing machines or something. And then, just when we thought we might slip of to sleep, a neighbor flushes the toilet, which was ear piercingly loud and resonated through the thin walls, or the train that comes by every hour blaring it's horn to announce it's arrival.

Also, as a warning, do not be fooled by the claims of free wi-fi for guests. We were given a user name and password to access the resort wifi, but were never able to connect during our stay. We mostly relied on our 4g phones for internet access, but even that was shoddy due to the ancient nature of the building not allowing cell coverage within its walls.

I would also like to mention the stay and play package - which is a fantastic deal IF you plan on going to the water park every day of your stay. I felt it to be quite unfair, however, to force guests to pay for daily access to the park, regardless of if you will be going or not. This policy was not in place during our stay 3 years ago, so it must be relatively new.

I did voice my concerns with our stay with a front desk agent, who informed me they would give me a 30% discount, which seemed pretty fair to me. However, at checkout, I was informed that the 30% compensation was only for one night of our stay, which was a little confusing considering we had problems for the duration of our stay. I will not be returning to this resort or recommending it to others until A.) The resort receives MAJOR updates and renovations; and B.) The mandatory "stay and play" package is dropped. Schlitterbahn, I expected much better than what I got from you!

With that being said, the water park itself was lots of fun, and on the older side (Schlitterbahn West), the lines were virtually non-existent. But this is not a review of the waterpark. I also want to stress that I did not have any problems with the staff of the resort, they were all perfectly kind, my issues lie with the state of the resort itself.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Justin G.,

Thank you for your recent review. I’m sorry to hear of your disappointment in our Resort rooms. The Resort is currently in the process of making much needed renovations to our rooms and unfortunately the room you stayed in has not received the renovations. I’m glad to hear that the staff was accommodating and pleasant. We strive to make your vacation memorable and pleasant by providing your family with excellent customer service. As you mentioned the Unlimited Stay and Play package is a great deal for your family if you plan on visiting the Waterpark. The convenience of staying onsite cannot be beat.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to our management team regarding the check-in process. Your comments are valuable to our team as we look at our processes and procedures each year.

TEXAS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was a return trip for us after I had slipped on a very slick walkway last year. Actually another guest encountered the same situation right behind me. Even though the park continued to debate this was their issue, we were glad to see on this visit that the dangerous area of walkway was no longer accessible. Now to the cabin rental. The accomodations were wonderful. Housekeeping was incredibly pleasant. Here is the downside....there is way way way too much noise. I was awakened late at night by guests yelling to each other in the parking lot. We were awakened early but lawn maintenance at work (which of course has to be done some time since the park is opened daily). The yelling guests from the night before decided to yell at lawn maintenance, which ultimatly got them evicted (hah there is justice after all). Anywhoos, trashcans closing by our bedroom window was unbealrable. Note that booking the cabin for a weekend doesnt guarantee the booking you may desire. The falls are blocked, so, you can not completely travel the entire curcuit of this ride.
Oh we made multiple calls to modify our reservations within the 72 hour required timeframe. I did not recieve a return phone call after several attempts to the resort and a multitude of voicemails were leftby myself.
Sooo as nice as the cabins are, it is not worth the exhorbant cost and the obvious lack of the most basic of customer service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SchlitterbahnNB, Director of Lodging at The Resort at Schlitterbahn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
VALENTINELADY,

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased that your accommodations were wonderful as you stated! There are many different areas of the resort to stay in, some quiter than others. I'm sorry to hear that your experience with reservations was not as pleasant. We strive to provide a good customer service experience to all of our guests and I apologize that you did not receive that specialized service.

Your comments are very helpful to our management team as we evaluate our current procedures and processes.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

The resort is not bad, spent 2 days.The family thinks its better then Orlando's wet and wild, but not as fun or clean as Denver's water world. Rooms were nice and clean but im not sure I will return until major updates/repairs are made to the park.

• Stayed June 2013
SchlitterbahnNB, Guest Relations Manager at The Resort at Schlitterbahn, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your room. We are sorry to hear some of your experience did not meet your expectations. If you care to share more specifics about you experience in the park we would love to hear about it at guestservice@schlitterbahn.com. Thank you for taking the time to give feedback!

Been to The Resort at Schlitterbahn? Share your experiences!