“More than a tea room...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 224 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
San Antonio, Texas
“More than a tea room...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Situated in historic and scenic Gruene (pronounced Green), Texas, this
place serves up wonderfully fresh and tasty fare. It has never disappointed.
Be sure and try the desserts. Take time after lunch to explore Gruene --lots
of shops, B&Bs, etc. The river is quite nice, too--great for tubing.

Austin, Texas
“Scrumptious meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

Travelling from Austin and San Antonio we met up at River House Tea Room. It's behind
the large corner antique store (most people know this). We were greeted upon entering
and the first room was pretty full already. Reservations would be a good idea if possible.
The service was excellent and I had coffee it was perfect (served in a tea cup so not large). The food was everything we had read in reviews - excellent. It's a cottage type
building with two rooms inside and patio seating outdoors. The waiter was very helpful and attentive to our needs. We will be back and highly recommend it - a nice change
from the other restaurants in Gruene although we like most of them!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seguin, Texas
“Every bite a delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

First off, this wonderful place is in Gruene, NOT in New Braunfels. Let's be precise, here!

Secondly, I visited it for the first time to celebrate my birthday, and a celebration it was. I am wildly envious of the chef's gift with food. I sure wish I could cook like this, but it's probably best that I can't, or I'd weigh 500 pounds.

I had a quiche that contained chicken, gouda cheese and cranberries (who but someone really gifted could come up with such a combination?) that absolutely melted in my mouth. It was so perfect, it almost left me speechless to express my appreciation. Accompanying this masterpiece was a pumpkin soup that also reduced me to wordless admiration. The salad with gorgonzola dressing provided a perfect balance, as did the tasty little muffin.

Get this...the coffee is served with REAL CREAM. Not half-and-half, my friends, but real, honest-to-goodness cream. An absolutely perfect ending to an absolutely perfect meal.

Service was quick, warm and knowledgable, as befits such magnificent food.

Get there early to beat the lunch crowd, or make reservations, because people were standing around waiting for tables when we left.

I can't WAIT to go back!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Delicious food, wonderful service!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We went out for a date night and loved the whole experience. The waitstaff was attentive to our every need. The food was exceptional. The chef even came by to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. No msg is served here. Everything is fresh and they offer a nice selection even for a vegan.

travelgirltx25
“I absolutely LOVE this restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

The Tea Room is a great, healthy restaurant and you don't find a lot of these in this area with BBQ and Mexican restaurants rampant. They always have great, fresh soups and my favorite is the tuna salad sandwich. You can sit inside or out and we've even seen deer while eating our lunch. This is in downtown Gruene so you can park, eat and walk around all of the shops. A must try!