“German Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Dallas, Texas
“German Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Great food, coffee & pastries!
Uwe Theis (owner) really takes pride in his baking, ingredients and in his restaurant. I was at the restaurant very early one morning and saw Uwe pushing the cart of freshly baked pretzels and pastries to the pastry counter. Since I never met a stranger, of course I engaged him and began asking him about his path to Fork & Spoon. I had the Mediterranean omlette and it was devine! The feta, sun dried tomatos, mushrooms and spinach were layered inside the 3 egg omlette instead of being mixed in - this allowed for the full flavor of the ingredients to be savored. The country fried potatoes left me wanting more and the latte (no frills or flavors, just good coffee!) was very tasty and had a nice finish. I almost left without trying the pastries and am so glad the staff talked me into getting one to go! This pretzel was the most satisfying pretzel I have ever eaten. First, it looked perfect - exactly shaped, beautifuly baked to a golden tawny brown color and sprinkled with a conscience amount of salt that complimented the flavor intead of overpowering it. No condiment use here! I realized my previous pretzel encounters depended on the condiments to make the 'ol fella palatable. In addition to the flavor, my favorite part of the pretzel was the texture. The texture was soft but firm, chewy not rubbery. No more mall, street cart or circus pretzels for me! And if you see Uwe (pronounced oo-va, 'oo' sounds like 'you', but without the 'y') ask him about the recipe, respect! Would love to sit outside on the patio, people watch and try lunch/dinner next time! Great place for business meeting, to go with family, friends or solo.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New Braunfels, Texas
“Real GERMAN food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Let me start by saying ... The owner bought this 6 months ago and is a Master Chef from Germany.... They have all kinds of food the German food is extasy..... The Dinners are the best.. quiet and wonderful service.... Heads up ... You will wait for breakfast on a Sunday morning.... But the reality is that there is a reason..... Its great !!! I am dumbfounded that someone wrote such bad things,,,,, They must have taste buds made of plastic......
The Bakery the is attatched has cakes that will blow your mind !!!!!!! UMMMM Yeah,,, totally amazing..... From breads that you just want to photograph to cakes that you could dream of for days..... I can tell you ,,,,, The food is made with love and heart.... they are perfectionists... Dont miss this place !!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gonzales, Texas
“Great place for Sunday Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The spinach salad with strawberries was to die for. Just the most fabulous dressing. I also had quiche and it was delicious. The price is moderate. Although busy, we were seated almost immediately. They have great waitstaff. They also have great desserts! It'd be a great place just to go for that. I will go back, no doubt, in fact have been there several times.

Visited February 2012
Austin, Texas
“OMG! The BAKERY!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Ok, I had a great spinach salad called "Strawberry Fields" and it was yummy enough for me to buy spinach, strawberries, pecans and poppyseed dressing on the way home BUT...drum roll please......

There was a group of ladies meeting for desert and coffee and despite my best intentions NOT to eat something loaded with calories, how could I resist? So I got this thing called Rum Punch Cake. Hazelnut, whipped cream, marzipan, chocolate, and gold rum. I gained 5 pounds immediately and it took a week for my slacks to zip, but I'm ready to do it again...and again. I am glad I don't live in New Braunfels or I would weigh 500 pounds by the end of the week.

You MUST eat here if you are in the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“HORRIBLE Service!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I can't emphasize enough how improperly staffed this place is. There is simply not enough people taking care of their customers.

This is the second time in two visits. I came back to give them another try and was punished for it. Shame on me.

The last two times I have been here were last Saturday and Labor Day. The wait to get a table followed by the wait to get served was way too long(over 55 minutes). My table of two arrived at 9:55 and it is now 10:50 and still have not made it far enough to be greeted by our server (we have been sitting at the table over 12 mins). This is after being quoted a 10-15 wait to get a table.

They should consider additional help on the weekends that would allow for them to respond to their customers in a more timely manner.

If you are going to make people wait because of improper staffing, at least get the communication part right.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere