“Checked out 10 minutes after checking in. Room was filthy” 1 of 5 stars

Edelweiss Inn
1063 I-35 North, New Braunfels, TX 78130   |
Ranked #29 of 29 hotels in New Braunfels
Belton, Texas
“Checked out 10 minutes after checking in. Room was filthy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had plans to stay the night in New Braunfels since we were going to the Wurstfest and if we are going to a festival that involves drinking all day there is no need to drive afterwards even if it is just an hour away. So that being said, this was one of only a few options for the busy weekend but it was one of the least expensive places that allowed dogs. As we were driving down my girlfriend looked up the reviews for the place although I had already booked the room. The reviews were so bad that we were already wondering if we could cancel the reservation. When I got there I asked if I could see the room first. That was a no because I was told that they do not show rooms after dark. It didn't really make sense. I said that I just wanted to see the place first and the guy pointed to the window as if I should just look out the window. Yes, it does look cute as a building designed to look like an old European wood timber construction. I had to clarify, "room" and the guy showed me photos from a binder. The antics were annoying me and I wanted to cancel the reservation but turned out that I should have provided 24 hours notice. My card was already charged. So we checked out the room and now I understand why the place has such low rating aside from the rude staff. In brief I'll just say that we checked out within 10 minutes of walking in. The place was not just old furniture but dirty with stains and the dog was constantly sniffing at everything. Well, its a step up from camping but not worth the money or discomfort from an girfriend distressed from the idea of staying a night. So even though that night was paid for, we checked into another hotel. Now I need to dispute charges from Edelweiss Inn since I was charged for two nights when I only paid for one and checked out early.

Room Tip: Don't book a room here!
Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Pasaena
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Room was very clean, Bed was excellant and comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Would recommend highly to family and friends...Our stay at the Edelweiss Inn was one of the most pleasant hotels we have ever stayed at in our Texas travels. Please consider visiting here on your next stay.

The Smiths from Pasadena, Texas

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Augusta, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My son and his girlfriend stayed at this inn, and got bitten by spiders and had to go to the emergency room to get them lanced. The hotel manager was very rude to them! They paid cash for the room then he took it off there card, when he wasn't supposed to, and the police were called, and got involved. The rooms are not clean at all, and there were webs in the corners of there room. The bathtub stopped up, so when you took a shower, the whole bathtub would fill up. This place is not worth the money you pay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

When we (my 10yr old son and friend and I) checked in we were informed that they had to upgrade our room to the jacuzzi suite but that in order to turn it on they would have to charge us a usage fee of 20 per night to use it. Knowing that my son would have drove me nuts if I said no, I payed the extra fee and went about our weekend. In the middle of the night we were woken by the awful thing randomly turning itself on. I called the front desk and the attendant rudely told me to flip a switch under the sink because "the timer must have activated again". Obviously it was a reoccurring problem for them. Our stay was for two nights and when we checked out I was billed 109.43 which I believed was reasonable and that they would be refunding the rest since they automatically charged my account for $200.00 at check in. Less than an hour after checkout I saw another charge for $36.52. Believing that they must have mistaken, I called back to ask the man to explain the charges to me. He insisted that all charges were justified due to taxes and fees and then proceeded to yell at me for "trashing the room"! We certainly did not trash the room and I am left to wonder why he would think so. Even if he considered our shopping bags left near the trash can to be a problem, does the maid service not still go in and vacuum, make the beds, or take out the trash? Our small getaway weekend vacation was more like a nightmare. I should have followed other reviewers advice and steered way clear of this dump!

Room Tip: If you want sleep, don't choose the jacuzzi suite. It magically turns itself on in the middle of...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Mansfield, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

When we checked in....got the keys, went into to room we were overcome w/ a nasty smell, went straight to the desk, complained. He then showed us to another room. Smelled just like the first one. Smells old, musty and nasty. For the price, had to stay there, and the fact we had already paid, and it was holiday weekend. NEVER NEVER again. The only good thing was the bed (kind size) was freakin awesome! Really really comfortable. Was a suprise!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
San Marcos, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I picked up my friend at the airport and drove him to this place - Something you should never do. The owner was extremely rude from the get go, saying things like, " what kind of stupid question is that?" and even tossing my friends I.D. right at his chest before we left the Lobby. Now I can understand why the guy might be a little irritated that he had to check my buddy in at 11 at night, but that's just no excuse to treat people so horribly. And I told him so in not so many words - called him an ---hole. Then things really got fun. This psychopath chases me outside and starts screaming at me right out in the parking lot to get off his property, shouting what i'm sure was some foreign expletives, and even threatening to call the cops on me.

Bottom line: it's just not worth it - even for the price. This trash needs to be shut down for good. Spread the word.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay at this hotel. Period.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I am the type of person who tolerates A LOT before I would ever complain. In fact, this is the first time I have ever written a complain on any motel having stayed in hundreds throughout the US.

This is was the worst motel experience I ever ever had in years of staing in hundreds of motels.

I was insulted and treated like garbage from the moment I walked in to this miserable hell hole. The "owner" was extremely rude and treated me like dirt. I couldn't decide whether or not to get a room. He continued to demand "do you want a room, or don't you?" trying to pressure me to make up my mind while he was on the phone with someone.

I started to fill out his form when I realised his check out time was 10:30 AM. Most any motel will at least give you until 11:00. When I asked for a later check out, he said in a very nasty tone "it would be an extra $10". I was a little irritated by this point by his rudeness so I told him "no thanks."

He was extremely aggressive and told me to "get out, you [--] cheapskate". I was afraid that he was going to hit me. He wripped up the "form" I had filled out and threw it at me in a wadded up ball. This monster needs to be shut down. I will do everything in my power to see it happen.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Edelweiss Inn? Share your experiences!