“Had a Blast - Can't wait to Go Back!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Billy Goat's Gruff Campground

Billy Goat's Gruff Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Braunfels
Billy Goat's Gruff Campground
You added Billy Goat's Gruff Campground to your Saves list
8570 River Rd., New Braunfels, TX   |
Houston, TX
“Had a Blast - Can't wait to Go Back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

Stayed at Billy Goat's Gruff the weekend of June 11, 12, and 13th - it was the weekend right after the flood happened. Although there was devastation suffered, we didn't want to cancel our trip. There was six of us total and we stayed on a river front camp site. The onsite bar and food shack were a definite plus. Having access to hot food, beer, and ice was extremely convenient. Toobing was decently priced and we floated for five hours. The staff were all really friendly and the landscape was absolutely gorgeous. It was my first time to stay at Billy Goat's but I'll definitely camp with them next time I float the Guadalupe River.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
goattx, Owner at Billy Goat's Gruff Campground, responded to this review, August 5, 2010
Thanks for the review!

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
The Woodlands, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

We were going to stay at Huaco Springs, but decided to move up river and get reservations at a camground so we'd have a spot for sure (especailly after the flood). We found Billy Goat's Gruff and were excited at everything we saw on the website. I wish we would've read the reviews and took them into more consideration. We showed up to a little bitty spot for the 8 of us. We could only fit 2 cars in our spots (if that) and were told to park the others in the middle. When we parked them in the middle we were then yelled at for doing that and were told to park them up the hill. Two of our friends came to check in and told their names.. A and B. The lady (Brooke) checked their names off then looked at them again and asked "whats your names?" They said A and B and she proceeded to tell them A and B had already checked in. Wow. She didn't believe them until they pointed out how many wristbands were still attached to our reservation. It might've been easier for her to function if she wasn't trashed already. We are in our mid 20s. We know what the river is about. We love it. We know its going to be loud.... but having people pee right by your tent and then FALL INTO YOUR TENT at 4 am, was not cool. When we asked if someone could just have them tone it down a little, it was like the biggest inconvenience of their lives. We woke up and decided we'd go toobing early (11a). Their prices are about what you'd get anywhere..maybe a few dollars more. We paid it because we're there and didn't want to drive. They drop you off at Lazy LnL and you toob to your campsite or you can continue (for $2 more) and go through the chute. We decided to go through to the chute but stopped at the campsite to have some snacks and drop off our cooler toob. We asked a young guy where to get out and he said "Down by the 2nd crossing." Awesome, great..or so we thought. We were going along, being very attentive (we did not drink anything the last leg of the trip) and could not find any signs, so we went to the 2nd crossing and asked an employee where we should wait and if we were in the right spot..he said we were fine and to wait over there. Our shuttle got there and he said "YALL ARE IN THE WRONG SPOT. THE BOSS LADY IS NOT HAPPY. GRAB YOUR TUBES!" ok then. We haul our toobs and load up. We were not the only ones that had been misdirected. If it was just us, we would have understood, I guess...but there were 4 other people on the truck that had no idea what was going on, as well. We get to the site and Brooke and 2 younger girls were telling us we owed $2 a head for going too far. We tried apologizing and saying we were very sorry but had no idea, we were looking where to get off, etc. She then pointed to the girls next to her and said "They said they checked yall in, and they told yall to get off at Bezdeks." Absolutely not. She checked us in, and that was NEVER said. This went on for a good 15 minutes until we gave in. I'm sure it was in the contract, but when you sign it, its font is smaller than a lawyer's. After paying our $16 we go back to our site and contemplate leaving..the two younger ladies come to our site and tell us that they're sorry for her behavior and that "we're all adults here" (very condescending). They also told us how they have to be tough because of all the drunks here, etc. We proceeded to tell them how over half of us had not drank, and the ones that have, have not in over 4 hours...so this wasn't typical. They didn't know what to say besides..."We're all adults here, right?" Wow. Honey, we're all older than you..and you lied about checking us in..mosey on! Right as we were getting over it, our campsite neighbors on both sites were BOTH scammed by this. Great business ethic here, huh? And we also found out that they had charged our friend $20 to park so he and his family could use THEIR company to toob...and if they were to stay after the trip, they'd be charged 15 a person. Our campsite neighbor, told us she was only charged $10 to park and $10 to hang out. I don't understand where they get their inconsistent prices. This place has a lot of potential but has the ABSOLUTE worst customer service. The location was pretty good, and we got over the site size..but the way we (and everyone else) were treated was uncalled for and straight up rude. There are a lot of places to stay on the river, you don't deserve to get treated poorly !

oh--and bring fire ant killer...they're bad!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
We are a small camp and everybody brings extra cars not our problem. Why are they scared to name their names and why can they get away with naming our names? We asked a young guy where to get out and he said "Down by the 2nd crossing." So just ASK anybody on the river where to get out - NO - YOU where told BEZDEKS several times!

And we also found out that they had charged our friend $20 to park so he and his family could use THEIR company to toob...and if they were to stay after the trip, they'd be charged 15 a person. Our campsite neighbor, told us she was only charged $10 to park and $10 to hang out. I don't understand where they get their inconsistent prices. Wrong again our prices are standard $15 per person per night $15 per tube trip $10 per night for extra cars.

Fire Ants are hard to control with all the rain this year

Trip Advisor please remove this nonsense!!!!!!
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

So, we have never camped here before, and with the recent flooding we booked ahead and it was one of the sites that was not affected so we booked it. There were 8 of us camping, we booked almost a month ahead of time and we ended up in a "reserved" space that would barely fit 2 tents comfortably and we had 4, we had to take things down just to start a small fire in the fire ring that was the top of a barrel. We were guaranteed 2 parking spaces, but the people who were on one side of us decided to park sideways so we were only given 1. With no parking the rest of the cars we had were forced to park on the other end of the camp up a hill (they charge $10 per car for this, your only allowed 1 or 2 with your campsite no matter how many people you pay for ). We we're still fine with this as we knew this was a charge, quiet time is in their rules as 11pm, the people camped on both sides of us were partying until almost 5am, going to the bathroom next to our heads in our tent, and one guy even fell into one of our tents breaking it. If you want to go to sleep before the sun comes up this is not the place to camp. Then we payed $20 for their 8 hour tubing trip. The woman was possibly the rudest person I have ever dealt with. We were told that the trip took us through a tube chute and to the second crossing and since it was an 8 hour trip we could get back off as we passed the campsite and grab something to eat before we continued. We got off at the camp and walked to our site to make sandwiches and were told as soon as we got there ( about 10 minutes after getting out) that we had to leave right now because they would not pick us up after 6:30pm. So we all left without eating and finished the trip. When we arrived at the second crossing we exited the river ( there are NO signs that tell you where Billy Goat's pickup site is). We were confident that we were at the right area because there was another group waiting for pickup from Billy Goat's Gruff as well. About 5 minutes after we exited the truck picked us up. It was an actual pickup truck, and about 12 people had to sit in the back, of course this was uncomfortable in it's own right. As we were getting into the truck the driver proceeded to tell us " The boss is not happy, you weren't suppose to get off here" and he had a really nasty attitude towards everyone that was waiting and drove us back to camp and drove like a maniac at that. When they dropped us off we were dropped at the office where the same woman proceeded to charge all of us ( not just our group, but the other that was at the same place as well) an extra $2 a person for getting off at the wrong place. They told us that we must have been drinking too much and not understood, even though 5 of the 8 in our group did not have 1 drink the entire weekend. We went ahead and payed the $2 a person and went back to camp since we had already paid these people $240 for the 2 nights of tent camping for the 8 of us on top of now $22 a person to tube. We went back and after a while the people camping next to us came back from their tubing trip ( this was well after the 6:30pm cut off that we had to hurry to miss) and we asked them where they exited the river, and, of course, it was at the same spot that we had exited, and again they had to pay the extra money. So they apparently hustle people out of quite a bit of money and their excuse is that the pick up site is listed in your contract so don't argue. So, if you do decide to tube here read the ENTIRE contract and do NOT listen to their directions. Also we had a friend who came and met us just to tube they charges the $20 a person to tube plus $20 to park the car at the campgrounds and he had to leave IMMEDIATELY as they exited the river, so before we got out of our tubes they were forced to leave ( we didn't even see them to say goodbye as they left when we got out the first time). DO NOT have anyone join you to float with this company. They even sent a girl to apologize to us even though they were right and we were wrong according to them, and she proceeded to tell us that "we were all adults here" and that the nasty woman at the office "tends to get like this". So all in all it was the biggest waste of money ever, and just a horrible experience all the way around. We WERE NOT the only people who experienced it, so I'm assuming that this is the norm. After we returned home I looked up the reviews and they all said not to camp here, I wish I would have read them before!!!! I don't think I've ever written a review, and I can assure you all I've NEVER EVER had a problem camping on the river, most of the places are absolutely amazing and tons of fun, but this was just outrageous and if I can spare anyone the same experience it was worth it! DO NOT CAMP OR TUBE HERE!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
billygoatsgruff2011, Owner at Billy Goat's Gruff Campground, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
You were given two spaces, but obviously let your neighbors take your parking. You do not have to park at your campsite at all. We have overflow parking on a hill as well as 100 yards away. As far as cost please read rules and rates on our website. Quiet time is 11pm. If there is a problem please call authoritys. Tube rates are the same at most camps on river road. $15.00 plus applicable taxes. All tubes are paid for including your cooler tube. The cost for the cooler tube is usally split between the group. There was no sign but they were told to get out at Bezdeks that does have a sign!!!! Pay attention. There is a sign now! Yes a pickup truck, thats the experience here on the river. No hustle - pay attention. Rules are rules and sorry you didnt pay attention.
Calera ok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

I took a party of 13 and drove six hours for what I thought was going to be a wonderful getaway. A couple ran the campsite and we were introduced to the guy by him walking down the hill to our campsite screaming and cursing us for having our truck to close to the campsite, which the parking is directly behind the campsite and we had moved it closer on dirt that was as hard as cement to listen to the radio, I went to shake his hand and introduce myself to apologize for something I didn't really understand to begin with, and he swatted at my hand and threw his hands in the air continuing to yell. After about five minutes of him yelling and not even trying to talk to us he walked back up the hill to his home, which is also where you check in at. We gave him a few to cool down, myself and another female walked up the hill to talk to him, seeing as they make you pre-pay and we had already given him $500 for our stay I did not want to drive six hours back home and not even get to float the river. He continued to tell us that we were disrespecting his property for having our truck there and wouldn’t allow us to talk. The wife was standing there also, so I tried to reason with her, and told her that we came up to buy some fire wood from her, which is the only way you can have fire wood, is if you buy it from them, and she told me the only way I need to be knocking on her door is if I'm on fire. I didn't even respond to this and realized that these people were completely crazy and was going to cut our losses and leave. The guy shortly walked back down to our campsite and apologized for going over board, I however never heard an apology from the lady. Besides this awful experience with these people the place is not anything like the website explains it. Nothing on this site was open the swim up bar had nothing in it, the barbeque place stayed locked and closed, the radio was never turned on, we were the only thirteen guest there at the time but there was only one bathroom and one shower that were disgusting, and a porta potty. The shower was not hot and had no water pressures what so ever. These people are very rude and have no customer service what so ever, I do not know how they have stayed in business or how their even allowed to stay in business. I wish there was something more that I could do besides writing this review I just hope you are able to read this before you happen to choose this place.

To address the situation

1. You moved a telephone pole to go past where you were not supposed to park that is disrespecting the property and owners.

2. You can bring in you own firewood if you desire, we just provide it here for sale.

3. The swim up bar and bbq shack were closed because you came off season

4. We play music only during season Memorial Day thru Labor day

5. We did have a problem with the shower, but repaired it after reading this. If you would have told us in person it would have been fixed.

6. Respect private property and you will be treated properly
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

Okay, my usual place to camp in New Braunfels in Lazy L&L. This was a last minute trip and we were added on to a friends site b/c they had a few ppl not show up. When we arrived they made us pay $10 to park our car at thier site which they didn't state when I called. They said that thier sites have a 6 person min., but it's 4 ppl to a car and any extra have to pay which I thought was bull. It wouldn't have been so bad if the camp director wasn't so rude. Ok, we paid for a spot that had electricity and water and for some reason, thier wasn't either. We had to get the camp director to run an extension cord to our site and then we got yelled at b/c it was someone elses electric (another campers). There was water, but we had to walk up to the rr to use it (a water hose). They also stated there were bbq pits and tables, but the bbq pit was a fire ring that didn't fit on our site b/c it was so small and would have caught the tents on fire and the tables were basically wooden wheels that were so low to the ground you had to bend over! The river was nice, but our camping spot was not. I will stick to Lazy L&L from now on and start encouraging my friends to do the same. Hope this review helps.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Again, these are people who dont listen to the rules and pricing. We are a very small camp and try to keep the extra cars to a minimum.

Also we do not have spots with dedicated water and they were never told this. They just assume. Also we are very limited on electrical sites. Well if the took someone elses electrcity of cours there is going to be problems.

Yes we use wooden electrical spools for our tables. Wanna know why - they burn and destroy picnic tables and use them as firewood. So these tables!! are free from the electric company and we feel we are recycling.
Trip advisor please remove this nonsense we run a tight ship and this complaint is a non complaint just rude scamming people trying to get something for free!!!!
Trip

Been to Billy Goat's Gruff Campground? Share your experiences!