“Good but not a Destination” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Hunt, Texas
“Good but not a Destination”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

If you find yourself driving through Central Texas and in the small farming community of Moulton then Kloesel's is a nice place to stop. Daily lunch specials and open direct from 11:00 til 9. The plate lunch we had of Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables, gravy, salad, dessert and bread at $8.99 was a bargain. This is not a restaurant to drive hours to have a gourmet country meal, but it was certainly good.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Smithville, Texas
“Good Food BAD Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have gone to Kloesel many times to eat and for us it is a hour drive. We have always gone for the evening meal and this was our first time for lunch and the food was good but the service could have not been worse. The server was upset because she was having to work and it took so long for us to even get our tea. The was the worst I have ever seen it there and whent to go check out the servers were siting eating and NO one would come and check us out. This will the last time we ever go for lunch just because of such bad service.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Return customers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We love dining at Kloesel's, the food is excellent, haven't had a bad meal there yet. Their soup of the day is consistently good, steaks done to perfection. My only complaint is the restaurant needs a redo on the interior! I love the old pictures, but the old carpeting and dingy, dark atmosphere spoils the fun of going there. A Restaurant:Impossible episode is in order! Otherwise, the food is always absolutely delicious, and for that reason we do keep coming back.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Gonzales, Texas
“Be Sure Harvey the owner is cooking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've been going to the restaurant for years. It is consistently delicious. it's a constant for my birthday (and if you sign up you get a $10 off email for your birthday!). I use to always eat the mushroom and mozzarella covered chicken breast. Fabulous. I'd ask them to grill it lightly which left it a lot more moist, and they would. Can't go wrong here! These days I usually order a rib eye! If Harvey is in the back grilling these they will be absolutely some of the best you've ever eaten. Other days, I've learned to order the chicken...that's just my preference. What I also love about this place is the homemade soup you get with every meal and that toasted Texas toast you get with your salad! This place will fill you up for sure. You might even need a take home box. Be ready to have a great meal, great atmosphere, and friendly staff. It's been locally owned for years and they work to keep this place one you will want to return to. They've been in this little town for years so you have to drive to get there, unless you live in Moulton! You will not be disappointed. They also have a full bar. They do take reservations and do parties. They are open pretty late. They also serve lunch and have a special. They often have a special. Their desserts are great too. Enjoy!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Loved the historic feel/photos & atmosphere.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

I just loved looking at all the old photos on display in this place. There was an odd "old smell" to the place though, & our service was extremely slow. My daughter dropped something on the floor, and oh my....yuck is the only word to describe. They still have carpet in the area we were seated in, and it really needs replaced. Decent food, though for the price, should have been better.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere