“Don't judge a book by it's cover” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villas on the Lake

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montgomery
Villas on the Lake
17578 Highway 105 West, Montgomery, TX 77356   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Montgomery
Texas
“Don't judge a book by it's cover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

I read the previous review and was very afraid of what I would find at this resort. I book this resort because it was close to Houston and I needed a place to accommodate 7 people. Our experience was nothing like the prior reviews I read. I always read the reviews on Tripadvisor and look at the pictures when I am interested in a specific hotel or resort. This one had me very worried, but my worries were unfounded.

Let's begin with check in, which was smooth quick and painless. Diane the office attendant was very nice and welcoming, She check us in within minutes. She explained the area, resort and a few housekeeping rules. However there is a book with all this info in every unit just in case you can't remember. I would go back here just for Diane's hospitality alone.

Our unit #126; was a three bedroom three and a half bath, three story unit. It was very, very large, clean and well keep. I must add this is an older property and it does show it's age, BUT everything gets old at some point! Everything in our unit was in working order and we had everything we needed it was almost like being at home. There is enough supplies (trash bags, soap & etc,) for the week. There were plenty of towels and bedding for everyone. They even offer extra large pool towels upon request. This three bedroom had three stories and a total of 30 steps, so if can not do steps you should probably stay away from this particular unit. The other two bedrooms were on the second floor. They are all a good size. The wash/dryer combo are in the closet on the second floor by the bedrooms so if you are going to wash you should probably do it in the day time or throw a load in before you leave because the noise will bother those sleeping on the second floor. The third floor room as a covered patio that looks out at the late (partial view).

The property is smaller then it appears on the website. There is only approx 36 units, They appeared to be several different floor plans from what I could tell from looking at the units outside. The was no timeshare sales pitch, however if you are interested in buying there is info in the book in your unit.

There are two pools which were both open the entire time we were there. There is a basketball court, volley ball court, horse shoe, play ground for kids and the office has board games and movies (VHS) for the VCR in your room.

The property grounds were clean and we saw workers cleaning areas every day. I can tell where the maintenance fees go.

The local area was nice. The property is on the highway and there are store, dining places, fast food and every a beach up the road. There was everything you could need close by, even the outlet mall.

This resort is about an hour from Houston, the Johnson Space Center, Kemah Boardwalk and an hour and a half from Galveston.

There is no Internet access at this report,however there is a Starbuck, and McDonald's down the street that have free WIFI.

While you are in the area, please be sure to stop by the Magnolia Diner and have breakfast, lunch or dinner. We had one of each and they were all wonderful. The prices are better than the Ihop up the street!

We had a wonderful stay and will defiinitely return to this resort. The town is very nice and relaxing!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

The coffe pot was busted, the ac would NOT cool below 80 during the day, the ice maker took 3 days to fill up, the furniture had holes in it, the sheets were stained and thin, there were no coffee fiters, only one tablet for the dishwasher for the week, half of the light bulbs were out, there was paint all over the carpet, the kitchen and bath floors were sticky, there was a dead bug on the nigth stand, a wasp flying around, no view of the lake, the hot tubs didn't work, the sun woke you up each morning because of there were no blinds on the upper windows, there were 3 different set of steps that you had to manage with luggage and the highway noise was deafing.
We are Gold Crown RCI members and this was worse than a Motel Six, at least you now what to expect from them.
We got there on Sat. to stay a week. It was so bad we contacted RCI and they refunded our week since we could take no more and were out of there by Monday morning. I was so mad. We drove 4.5 hours and had to leave.
They charge $5.00 just to connect to the internet and only allowed you 15 minutes twice a day, after you had to call the office and ask permission to use the internet.
I would NOT ever want anybody to stay here. It was beyond words.
The only thing good that I can say is that it was roomy if you didn't mind climbing all of the stairs.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

This place has great possiblities but it is very poorly maintained. There were two outdoor swimming pools which could have been quite lovely but they were so dirty we were afraid to get in them. There were two hot tubs. One was heated but had no jets, the other had jets but was not heated. There were ants in the kitchen and silver fish in the bathroom. The front sliding glass door would not lock. The coffee pot would not work, the light over the range would not work, one tub would not drain. When things were reported to staff they seemed very unconcerned as they made a list of complaints. However the list was never addressed duriing our stay. It seems like this place is on its way out.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

A disappointing cluster of past their prime condos suffering from a severe lack of maintaince. The first unit I stayed in smelled of cleaning products so strong that you had to open all the windows to try and air it out. Screens would have been nice. Turning the fan on for the AC made it worse. The furnace and ducts were covered in mold.
After one miserable night we requested a different unit. Management was quite nice and did switch us to a different unit. This unit was better but not good enough to complete my three day stay. I chose to go home a day early and not suffer another night. Did I mention it is
right on a 6 lane highway with a 60 mph speed limit.? You also have to park behind your building and your key fits the front door.

I belong and booked this property through Sunterra. This is not what I am used to. Sunterra has some wonderful resorts and I have enjoyed many of them, but not this one. This needs to come off the list!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — severe mold contamination.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Villas on the Lake? Share your experiences!