“It is what it is.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa

You added La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa to your Saves list
La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   600 La Torretta Blvd., Lake Conroe, Montgomery, TX 77356   |
Hotel deals
Hotel virtual tour
Special Rate
Fantastic Fall Savings!
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Montgomery
Houston, Texas
“It is what it is.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I got a good deal on my stay and based on what I paid and what I got I was happy. That being said the issue I have with the resort is the website, their online marketing and even their on hold message describes this place as a luxury 4star resort, ready to pamper you every need. At best Its a budget / country class resort serving the middle to lower class clientele. Nothing wrong with that as long as you know the your not getting 4 star luxury resort as described.

We did experience some great service from Stephen our waiter at Lakeside and the Restaurant mgr, Heath was great! In general most of the staff was nice.

Attention to details, cleanliness, and presentation was what was lacking.

If I had options, I would look at others first.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LaTorrettaResort, Manager at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear SSHotelman,
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about your stay with us. I am sorry your visit did not exceed your expectations. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another stay so that we may show you our commitment to customer service. Thank you again for your review.

Jaimi Fore, Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Houston, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

First the positive: the rooms in the tower are all renovated and to say the least beautiful and very comfortable, spacious,just well done except they do not have a mini bar or refrigerator. The golf course is ok, maintenance of the greens and fairways gets a 3.5 (1-5 scale) and hole #10 is near the driving range so there are practice balls all over the fairway, the staff at the proshop are all very nice and friendly. Now the negative: the service for the most part is pitiful, there is a good intention from the staff but most are high school or college kids with a summer job at this place so there is a complete lack of customer service knowledge, dinning is of 3 star quality, the sushi bar/restaurant is a joke, we waited 25 minutes for a table to be cleaned then one waiter wanted to take it from us saying it was reserved, by then it was already almost 10pm so we went to our room and ordered a club sandwich from room service, the tray was not picked up from the hallway until well past 11am the next morning . The hotel is pretty old and in desperate need of major renovation, the pools were very nice 50 years ago but now show their age, the river is worm just like someone else said in her review, the staff at the pool (just like everywhere else) tried but just did not know how to serve, a beer at the pool took over 40 minutes to arrive, the kitchen just as slow, I thought it was because it was memorial day wknd the place was overbooked and understaffed so I asked one of the (18 yr old waiters) and she said it was like this pretty much all summer. At that point I confirmed my suspicion of having made a poor decision to go there, that night we all went out to diner outside the hotel, not just us but two more couples with us were just as disappointed. Would definitely not go back. Needs better management and renovation. Oops almost forgot, stay away from the watered down cappuccino at the coffee shop. If you go expect a $150.00 /night kind of service.

Room Tip: High levels give you better view of the lake
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Andres R,
I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. I am sorry to read that you were not pleased with your wait time at YOI sushi bar. This is highly uncharacteristic of our staff, as we normally pride ourselves on our punctuality. Our customer service is very important to us and I apologize that this was not your experience. I do hope that you will contact us at 936-582-6407 to further discuss your stay. Thank you again for your comments.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a conference. The pool service is poor. I waited 45 minutes to order food and drinks. I ordered a mojito which they don't have and the waiter was unable to provide me with a drink menu for other options. I also requested an umbrella for the empty stand next to me and 20 min later was told they were out. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
LaTorrettaResort, Manager at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear SkiSpaTravel,
Thank you so much for your comments. I have shared your concerns with my team and we are working on a solution to reduce wait times at the pool area. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention as it helps us to improve upon our service. I apologize for any inconvenience this caused during your stay. I do hope you will give us another chance to impress you with our service in the future.

Friendswood, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed in the tower suite and were told that it slept up to four (king bed and a sleeper sofa). Upon check in we immediately went to the pool area and then went to dinner and didn't get back to our room until late which is when we discovered that the "sleeper sofa" was just s sofa!! My two teenaged boys couldn't both fit on the sofa to sleep so we had to make a trip to walmart to purchase an air mattress. We had tried to call the front desk for help to possibly get another room but we kept getting left on hold. Someone in an elevator told us they were totally booked so I suppose it wouldn't have mattered if we did get threw to someone. Nice place to stay otherwise. Just didn't get the room we were promised and never got any resolution.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jackie H,
I appreciate you taking the time to send in your comments on your stay. I sincerely apologize about the confusion of which room you were to receive when you checked in, we obviously fell short with our communication to you. I hope that you will give us a second chance to win back your trust. Thank you again for your review.

TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a good place to stay around the Lake Conroe area.

The rooms are very nice and clean. They are doing some renovation but it is not a distraction. Free wifi in every room which works very well. As stated in other reviews, there are no chairs on the balconies. Bed and pillows are clean and comfy. Large/roomy bathroom with walk-in glass shower. Staff is very nice and helpful. Kiddie pool and adult pool are both nice and relaxing.

A couple of drawbacks...the food is so so at best and expensive for the quality if what is served. Also, the hotel is a little older than the pictures indicate. Finally, there is a partially sunken boat in a cove next to the hotel which is an eyesore. (This may not be their doing but it is somewhat distracting when you are looking at it from the dining room)

All in all a good place to stay for a family especially with kids.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We recently went here for a summer weekend. The "resort" is nice, but really not that much to do. My kids were bored with the pool and slides after about two hours. Pool has a nice lazy river, two long slides which beat you up pretty good, and good kids area with a big bucket that pours water all over the kids, and an adult area. The smores every night were nice and the kids loved that. They really liked playing the miniature golf course, which we played three times in two days. We stayed in the cottages which are about a half mile from the resort. The shuttle is nice, but we were left waiting 10 - 15 minutes everytime we needed a ride. The walk is not hard, but with two small children, it became very cumbersome. I should have read some reviews about this, but did not, so my bad. I would say, stay in the main hotel if you go. The biggest issue we had is when we arrived, we had no toilet paper in the room. There actually was no toilet paper dispenser on the wall either. We called right away (2pm) for toilet paper, but left to go explore. When we returned (7pm), we still did not have toilet paper. I had to walk (yes, all the way to the hotel) to the front desk to have them hand me toilet paper. On my walk back to the cottage, a hotel employee actually did stop me and give me a ride back, so that was nice.
Since the resort is on Lake Conroe, I was expecting some sort of water excursions available through the hotel, but none are offered.
The staff was friendly and plentiful, but did not have a good grasp on job duties. (movie was 45 minutes late because no one could figure out how to start the DVD player, dodgeball for kids turned into an adult activity when it rained and all the adults were looking for something to do, front desk had to ask someone when I asked what activities were in the kids night, etc.)
I'm glad we experienced this resort once, but I will not be going back.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the cottages.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
magnolia, tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival, couldn't quite figure out where to park or check in. Signage not good during some renovations of the lobby. Met the rest of my group at the pool area while waiting for the room (zero chance of it being ready early).

Te check in area is at the conference center. There were three people at the desk and there was a line up. I appeared to be working while the others watched. Took a little while but the others finally decided to get to work. The staff didn't seem very professional or well trained but nice enough. Just had trouble answering some basic questions about activities.

Booked the $99 special rooms. This is a great price and why we booked to check the place out. Te rooms were cabins over by the golf course. Not a far walking distance but with small children we opted to drive back and forth to the pool and main hotel area.

The cabins were nice and recently updated and spacious. Since it was far from the main hotel, it would have been nice for them to include a fridge. The cabins are right on the golf course SI the scenery is nice but the grit if them needs work. It is all dirt and weeds around the front.

The watermark is nice. The kids loved the pools and lazy river and there are a couple water slides. Te pools could use some more cleaning though and more weeding. The bar was nice at the pool although again the service was painfully slow.

We ate at the hotel bar/sushi/pizza restaurant. The restaurants are moved around during renovations. The sushi was ok. My daughter didn't want sushi so we ordered a pizza. That came way after the sushi and the waitress asked how it was because no one ever ordered it. It came delivered in a box to our table. There were menus for it on every table.

Overall was a decent place to stay but needs more work.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!