“Great Family Get Away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa to your Saves list
La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   600 La Torretta Blvd., Lake Conroe, Montgomery, TX 77356   |
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Montgomery
Houston, Texas
“Great Family Get Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family and I spent Memorial Day weekend here --- it was WONDERFUL!!! The pools are amazing - 2 "kiddie pools", a lazy river, a huge family pool, an adults-only infinity pool and Jacuzzi. They also have a beach area for the lake so the kids can make sand castles and swim. There was a firepit and they served s'mores beachside - a wonderful treat for the kids and I. The rooms are clean and spacious. My husband and I hit the driving range while our daughter (5) went to the kids camp (which she loved). The only downside was the food - we had to leave to eat --- the breakfast buffet was below average and so was the rest of the food. But, there are quite a few nice Mom-and-Pop restaurants down Highway 105 to check out. We will be back!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

571 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My old college friends had a wonderful get together at the resort Memorial Day Weekend. The tower rooms were great with a living room, bedroom and large bath. Staff seemed very young but friendly . Water park and slides were very appealing to families . The golf course is okay but the greens are scruffy . Perhaps it was simply the company but the overall experience was highly enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from our Memorial Day weekend stay-cation. Overall we enjoyed our stay. The resort offered a little something for everyone. Golf for my hubby ( he said the course was ok) spa for myself (facial treatment-it was ok but i really enjoyed the amenities) and wonderful pools and splash pad for our 11 month old. We stayed on the 17th floor of the tower. The hotel is a little dated but clean. The King size suite was spacious and the bathroom was huge. There was a shower and a tub which was great for our baby's baths. We also requested a mini fridge prior to arrival for milk and snacks and it was there when we checked in. Check-in was a breeze, check-out took a little longer, only 4 elevators which at times was a long wait but then again it was a holiday weekend, valet and bell hops were awesome, breakfast at Prime was decent...service great. We didn't get to try any of the other on site restaurants. However if you go off site there is a wonderful Thai place called Thai wok in and order out. Fresh & tasty food and reasonable price. We also ate at Giovanni's. my husband had the seafood fisherman pasta plate and I ordered the fresh grilled salmon and topped off with Spumoni ice cream. We enjoyed everything!

• Stayed May 2013
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I'd like to start off by saying that my wife and are seasoned travelers do not carry any unrealistic expectations when it comes to service. With that being said, La Torretta falls short in providing great service is many, many ways.

Check In:
The check in process was quick and easy. Even though this was a holiday weekend they only had two clerks working the front desk, which I found a bit odd but it seemed to work.

Room:
The room is appointed nicely with modern furnishings. The furniture is very low and if you're have bad knees or are pregnant, like my wife, you will have significant trouble getting in and out of bed along with the chairs and the sofas. The balcony had a great view but it was covered with bird droppings so were unable to use this feature with my wife being pregnant. There is no mini-fridge in the room even though some sites list that each room has one. There is a place for one but I assume that it broke and that they just never replaced it.

Service & Facilities:
This is where this "resort" fails miserably. The public areas within the main tower are kept up very well and I do want to give credit where credit is due but that is where it stops.

My wife and I went to play on the mini golf course that is part of the "resort fee" and we had to wait 15 minutes for someone to finish so that we could have a couple of golf balls to use. I could understand if the course was packed with people but there were only about 5 families playing, maybe 20 people total so this was a bit off putting.

After mini-golf my wife and I decided to go back up to the room to get ready for dinner and we decided to order room service. We called room service (approx 7:00PM on a Saturday night) and it went to voice-mail! I've never had to leave a voice-mail so I could order food. I left a voice-mail assuming that since it was Saturday it may be a bit busy and I would receive a call shortly. I waited for 10 minutes and called again and it again went to voice-mail. I left another voice-mail and waited for 15 minutes this time and never received a call. Since it was approaching 8:00pm we were running out of dining options so we decided to go to a restaurant at the facility, which we didn't want to do hence the ordering of room service. It only got worse from this point.

We arrived at the restaurant around 8:00pm and to our surprise the restaurant was pretty empty. We assumed we would be sat relatively quickly and would get back up to our room in a decent amount of time. Boy were we wrong. We waited at the hostess stand for 15 minutes to be sat. There was only ONE person, not family, person, in front of us and it took forever to be seated. It turns out that the person responsible for seating people is also a waitress who has a section that is outside of the view of the waiting area. Only one employee asked if we had been helped and both the person in front of us and I said no. About 5 minutes later someone seated the person in front of us and then a couple of minutes later we were seated. There is no excuse for this type of service, in my opinion. They are woefully understaffed.

While we were waiting in the waiting area to be say there was a family with two kids behind us. One of the kids decided to use the lamp to swing from and knocked it to the floor shattering the compact florescent light bulb and leaving pieces all over the floor. Most people may not know that when an energy efficient light bulb is broken it must be handled with the utmost care because of the mercury contained in the light bulb. The first thing you are supposed to do is evacuate the room and shut off the air conditioning. Well not only did La Torretta ignore the fact that this bulb was broken, even though an employee saw it happen, the glass was still shattered on the carpet when we finished with our dinner over and HOUR later. That is ridiculous!!!! How is there broken glass on the floor in a common area with no warning signs or barricades for over an HOUR?

When we went to speak with a manager that evening about the lack of service we were told that there wasn't a manager on site at the time. It was 9:30PM on a Saturday on a Holiday weekend. How is it possible that there is not a manager on duty???

With all of this being said I will summarize my thought on the resort. The rooms are very nice and well appointed. The service leaves A LOT to be desired and they are woefully understaffed. With how their organization is run it almost appears that they are having financial problems and are trying to correct it from a human capital standpoint instead of addressing the issues with poor service. Employees do not seem happy to be employed by the resort and only work at the resort so that they can have a job. If you're looking for a 3 star resort, this is your place. If you are looking for a nice getaway with great service look somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I went there the second time for a car show. Loved the rooms, restaurants and amenities. The location is far from the city, but there is lots to do. Located directly on Lake Conroe, it is close to historical Montgomery, Texas. The historical museum in Montgomery is a must see. The water park is nothing but incredible, slides, the biggest water bucket I ever saw, floating areas and all the rest. Free miniature golf, tennis and miles of walking areas.

Room Tip: Get a room in the tour on the top floors. What a view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed in the tower room suite with a king bed and sofa bed. Room was spacious, wished there had been a mini fridge and microwave for snacks for the kids. Loved that we didn't have to bring beach towels! We enjoyed the pool/lazy river/water slide area, mini-golf and tennis courts. Tennis courts lit up at night and we basically had the entire courts to ourselves. All staff was friendly and very professional. The sofa bed did not come with any bedding but very shortly after I called the concierge they delivered a sheet, blanket, pillow and pillow case. This was a one night stay on a Groupon and would definitely recommend if purchasing this discount. Not sure I would stay at regular prices so grab the discount while you can!

Room Tip: No need to bring beach towels-they are provided. Adult and kid size inner tubes provided for lazy r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We loved the slides, the golf cottage, room was clean and spacious. The putt putt was really cute. The staff was very friendly and professional. We will certainly go there again. The pools and splash pads were a lot of fun. The lazy river was nice too.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!