“Friendly staff but looking tired and dated” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Texan Hotel & Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4300 West Wall Street, Midland, TX 79703   |
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Midland
Toronto
“Friendly staff but looking tired and dated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We booked through Expedia to find when we arrived that the great expedia deal was in fact over 20% more than if we had booked directly with the hotel. Midland is in the middle of a boom so you can expect to pay way too much for way too little I think. The hotels in the area rely on the long term bookings to house company employees sent in and out of the city. I think that maybe the reason there is not the attention being paid to the upkeep and appearance of the building.

The staff were very helpful and accommodating but they were expected to wear outfits that were looking worn and shabby- maybe that was in keeping with the rest of the building.

Our first room was on the ground floor - the exterior looked pretty shabby- reminiscent of some small strip motel. It faced a large car dealership where there were frequent voices over the intercom drifitng across to the hotel. - the room had an off putting smell and as soon as the heat was turned off -it set off the smoke detector. They relocated us to another "executive" room. These rooms face in towards the middle of the buidling so there is no source of natural light (or air). The room was in much better condition.

The hotel is a large convention centre so at the time we stayed - it was almost empty -it felt abandoned and desolate and dark - as I suppose would most empty convention centres. It felt run down. There is limited choice of eating in the area if you are without a car as we were as we were flying out the next day. The Indian food menu was expensive but the pizzas were terrific.

All in all - given the prices of hotels in Midland -it is not a tourist destination nor are tourists the market that is being catered to.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first before completing check in
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Two years ago me and my husband came to midland for a family vaction or more like a family reunion and our family had put us up in this hotel well walking in i thought nice but once we got inside i was upset how could they do this to me put me up in a upscale roach hotel well the stay was not that great well two years later im in town for business and i could not find a hotel in midland to save my life well i thought about this hotel and i said to to hell with it im sleepy and i have a meeting at 8 in the morning i pull up and i had to do a double take it looked different as i walked in i seen smiling faces and a new look of the hotel completly so i said ok the lady lacey and tomika was wonderful very helpful and just all out the best made me feel welcome now i was put in one of their newly renovated room and when i walked in it was a big change from the old i said to myself WOW AMAMZING im just gonna say to the staff and owners at the hotel keep up the good work and good things will come cause they have turned that hotel from rags to riches.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room VERY NICE
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Pecos, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We too rented here for the convenience of the Convention Ctr being right next to this Hotel....WRONG CHOICE!!!! Upon arrival we walked in to check-in the the front desk clerk was RUDE!!!!! As we made our way to the room, the parking lot was trashy, side door entrance parking lot to hotel was dirty littered with trash , trail of white paint served as our guide to upstairs area. Keep in mind that construction and renovations are being made at this time but come on now this place is the dumps. I had reserved two rooms with a weeks worth in advance with a communication door come to find out when the other party arrived they were NOT given the room next to mine but 4 doors done. So your requests are not honored. Now to the A/C situation they have none!!!!! no matter how low you set the freaking thermostat and I put it down to 60 you will not get any cold air. An oscilating fan was provided in the room but dang thing made more noise that what it was blowing air and mind you that it had the front part of the fan taken off nowhere to be found so the blade was exposed and I had children. There is a sense of security though.......NOT!!!! something was going down on the floor beneath us because the front dest clerk was walking up to a room with 2 police officers, how I'd wish I'd reveiwed this HO-tel before renting here.....So we go to check-out again we are greeted with another clerk this one was worse by far....never were we greeted by this extention, fake hair clerk or thanked for our business. AGAING PEOPLE DO THE RESEARCH BEFORE DON'T RENT HERE THIS HOTEL TRULY SUCKS!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

An associate and I came here for business. We had poor luck with previous hotels in Midland but this place looked different and was more expensive. It WASN'T any different than the rest of this town! They have wheel barrows around most exits which are used as trashcans. The rooms won't go below 73F no matter what you turn your thermostat to. The televisions flicker and are vintage 1990. The only part worse than the hotel, trash, and rooms, is the staff, all of whom act like you owe them something.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

We just had a family reunion here because they were going to have all the rooms renovated before our stay. Construction was still ongoing during our stay and not all rooms were ready. My room had blood spots on the box mattress fringe. Several of our group were requesting room changes due to various broken ac/tv/shower issues or smelly sheets. The hotel staff were obviously not used to such "picky" customers. We had a group discount at $75 per room but this place normally rents out at $140 per night. Stay far far away. You'd have a nicer experience sleeping in your car

• Stayed July 2012
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My company put me up here last year in June and my stay was terrible. I was hesitantly sent back by my company but my stay this time was surprisingly better . They said they were under new ownership and management and I could tell by the extensive rennovations with great service and breakfast.

Room Tip: I stayed in the renovated suite 340 it was worth the money.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I just wanted to send a quick note here: if you ever need to travel and stay overnight in Midland/Odessa, Texas, please avoid Grand Texan Hotel at the Conventional Center at all cost.

This is unsafe place: Someone (young white man) was knocking on my door after midnight twice and would not go away.
The hotel does not have any security personnel in place.
The bell man (another young black man without any ID) came to my door instead of a security person and said, it was a nice fellow who saw $ 10.00 bill on the floor in front of my room and thought I might have dropped it and wanted to return it to me. I put the sign “ do not disturb” on my door, still he could not carry less.

Then, I discovered that my window was opened and could not be properly closed. This window was leveled with a corridor level and any one could get in into the room, if they try to.
Again, the bell man said, it is a safe place and no worries, he will be checking on my room from time to time during the night.
There is NO hotel manager on duty. I wanted to talk to the hotel manager and she was NOT on duty, until 10 :00 am at least.

One of the owners came to the front desk and bluntly said –“ I am sorry it happened to you last night ”
My bill is $ 200.00 per night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Grand Texan Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!