“Dump” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 38 Hotels in Midland
Lovington, New Mexico
“Dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

The only reason I am staying in this room is because I have a budget for work and it was the only hotel with available rooms. I have a newborn and a toddler with me, and had to ask if I could move rooms because the first one I was put in had a ceiling falling in over the bathtub. They did move me and didn't really ask questions, but the new room is filthy! It's as if they don't have a cleaning service...I have NEVER In my life stayed in such a dirty room! DO NOT STAY HERE! I paid almost $80 for a room. Rundown in one thing - that I could handle, but unclean and disgusting is a whole new story. I'm literally in tears because I have to be here for three days and I'm not sure I can handle it. Now I know why they charge your card upon arrival, so you don't run away.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This $80 per night room should actually be a $10 per night room. This place is a freaking dump. The only reason I stayed after I arrived, is because I drove from Meridian Mississippi which is 900 miles and I was about to pass out I was so tired. Can't believe this place is even open. Actually, they should pay you to stay here. Worst place I have ever stayed in my whole entire life. Apparently they pay off code inspectors, because there is no way in hell this building is up to code!!!! Never again. I'll sleep in my car first!!!

• Stayed October 2013
davenport
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This place was a dump.I wish I would of read the reviews before I checked in!I think I had the same room the other guess had.Wires was hanging from the wall from the smoke detector.Bathroom floor was nasty! grease or something on the floor.The weather striping on the door was removed.I don't think the sheet were clean.This place should be closed!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Boca Raton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I looked at the room and immediately left. The room was filthy. Wires hung out of the wall near the ceiling from what should have been a smoke detector, Cracked tiles, red something on the toilet. I could go on. The good thing was that they gave me a refund with no argument.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Greeley, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

As an avid reader of reviews, I won't waste the reader's time with nonsense about things that just don't really matter like the upholstery in the lobby or the color of the carpet. I happen to stay here because Travelocity placed me in a hotel 200 miles away from the Midland airport which was too far for my purposes. Landing at 2330 hours, it was late and I had never been to Midland before so I looked for the first vacancy I could find near the airport.

I checked in and went to my room. For $60/night the room was what I expected. Dated and a little musty but I was there for business, not staying at a resort. The A/C pumped out cold air...so far so good. Bed made with clean sheets. Good. Almost all the lights worked. No big deal, I'd make due. The floor creaked and I could hear the people next door talking in normal voices. That might be a problem.

The surprise came the next morning when I went to use the shower. Disgusting. The shower knob came off in my hand. The shower curtain rod was about ripped off the wall with tiles hanging on for dear life. Mold/mildew all over and something really gross holding down the shower mat - which I still don't know what it was. Towels were dingy but clean. Soap and shampoo were minimal but worked. No hairdryer. Not that I need it but it's pretty standard, especially for families traveling. The water had distinct smell of sulfur but I could look past that as well.

Breakfast did not exist. Seems they make a coffee pot with powdered creamer and that's about it - but I could deal with that. Unfortunately, there is nothing within walking distance if you want something to eat so either bring something with you to keep in the room (they do provide a small fridge and microwave) or you'll be making a trip down the street to the nearest truck stop/gas station or fast food joint. Front desk staff was very indifferent but not nasty. Their English was difficult to understand so I had to pay attention to what they said as their accent is quite thick.

For the first couple of days I was out in the field so I did not "enjoy" the facilities that much. The real fun started two days in when they lost water to the whole building because of a broken main in front of the hotel (the reason why it broke is still a mystery). The water was off for nearly 6 hours. I called every hour to see what was going on and got the obligatory, "it will be restored in 15 minutes". My last call late into the evening was answered by a very nice American woman who actually apologized for the inconvenienced, offered me a discount and explained what was going on. Customer service points awarded to her. Water was finally restored and life went on.

The next day, the room was not made up when I came back from the field. Another call to the front desk essentially resulted in, "she went home, she'll come back tomorrow"...no apology or "can we offer you some clean towels". The bathroom is still gross and I shudder to think I've got two more days here but I think, it's better than camping. I also noticed that the pool behind the office had been filled in with dirt and there was garbage strewn about. A broken toilet sat next to the office building with a broken down lawn mower and other debris. Jeez - it really looks like a dump - like nobody really cares. The buildings were not maintained well. Paint was slopped over everything in an effort to provide a clean look but it did not work.

The last morning, I noticed that the water was not getting as hot as before. When I went to the lobby to get some coffee and check out there was a crowd of people complaining about no hot water. The front desk did not have a clue and pretty much blew everybody off and said they would look into it. Thank goodness I was checking out.

When I return to Midland, I will not be staying here. There are too many other places in the area to stay that meet the minimum standards for cleanliness. If the health department were to pay a visit, I'm sure it would probably be shut down for cause. Plan ahead - stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Texas, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The simple fact of the matter is that a non-smoking room is not supposed to smell like smoke. And if it does, it should not be overwhelmingly so - certainly not like a person checked out an hour before you got there, and was smoking up a chimney up to the moment they left. At the point I arrived and checked in, it was simply too late to try to find some other location, and I needed to sleep for early business the next morning. The staff was kind enough to provide some smoke-covering (supposedly "eliminating") spray, but didn't have any alternate rooms available to transfer to. Even at $80 for one night, booked less than a week out, i feel like I overpaid by about $20 for the smoke alone.

This all being said, the room itself was clean - other reviewers must have got the point across to management regarding the cleanliness issues. The linens were clean and smoke free (even outside the room); the bathroom was clean, if a bit worn; the bed was surprisingly comfortable, in addition to being clean down to the mattress (there was even 1" of memory foam). The wireless internet was easy to connect to, and appreciably fast, with no absurd filters or overly broad/stringent requirements to log on. There was a generous mini-fridge and microwave, even if they didn't get any use from me. Due to the internet, the television wasn't explored beyond noticing its existence.

Had it not been for the smoke issue, I'm sure i would have had a pleasant experience. Accepting it for what it is - a fairly old, cheap, short-term rental hotel/motel - would have been easy. I didn't expect a 4-star experience, and I certainly didn't pay for one, but the smoke makes for a very poor rating. I can understand that one can't always control for short- and medium-term tenants, but it's just something that needs to be added to the list of things for the cleaning crew to check (maybe get a non-smoker on the payroll?). I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Absolutely disgusting!!!!!!! Room was dirty un vaccumed hair on bathroom floor pubic hair in shower dried splashed pee on toilet. Looks like all they did to clean was make bed and change trash.... we took showers left our towels on the floor to be changed and they re-folded and hung them back up including one with pizza sauce on it. Our 2 yr old daughters feet were black from the carpets. Holes and black stains all over the blankets, no fitted sheet on the bed just the matress protector and a sheet your supposed to cover up with. The wi-fi was conveinienly not working so so much for that. We paid 160 for 2 nights and that was supposed to be a deal?!?!?! I wouldn't pay 5 dollars for this nasty place!!! The girl cleaning the rooms was to concerned with fighting and making up with her bf on the phone and the maintenance people just creepily stare at you. Very very gross and uncomfortable stay and I was not expecting 5 star by any means but at least a clean room, towels, and child. HORRIBLE HOTEL I almost forgot to mention its a non smoking room with cigarette ashes behind the toilet paper roll and it smelled like an ashtray the minute the door opened YUCK!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Victorian Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!