“Exceeded my Expectations” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Midland
The Nutmeg State
“Exceeded my Expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have stayed at many Hampton inns in the past but this one stands out because from the moment you enter the lobby you are greeted by all the staff many times over. The hotel is located close to the highway but not too far from shopping. Although one cannot really walk to a mall or shopping, but can walk to movie theaters, a couple of restaurants close by. The hotel has an outdoor pool, a fitness room, business center, and guest laundry. Small but efficient all kept neat and clean. The rooms are spacious and clean all what you expect from a Hampton Inn and more, lots of towels, and amenities. The breakfast area is very well stocked and very clean. All hotels that offer free breakfast close up after a certain hour, and you cannot even have a cup of coffee in the afternoon. But not at this Hampton Inn, the breakfast area is open all day for coffee, tea, fruits, cereal, etc… all very well stocked. The daily afternoon treat is the homemade oatmeal cookies (they were amazing). These folks are serious about making sure I was comfortable and kept on asking if I needed anything over and over. They are passionate about cleanliness and looks, that I saw the general manger vacuum cleaning an area in the lobby one afternoon. I was not expecting above average service at this Hampton Inn, but I did and made my stay splendid.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Amarillo, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel, a lot, probably pretty close to when it was built, somewhere around 2000 or so it has always been a great place the cost then was around $79.99. Now it is $198.99 it probably has been 3 months the last time I was there. I understand with the the oil industry everything is full and that there maybe some people basically living there. With that the floor I was on the hall probably had not been vacuumed in quite a long time. Just like the some of the other reviews my feet stuck to the floor in the room and was not what I would call real clean. The mattress does need to be changed. In my opinion it will not take long for this hotel to not be a top place to stay. I discussed this with receptionist as I was leaving and she said that she had just had that same converstion with a couple of other guests, so I am not the only one that noticed this. Start paying attention to detail and the big things will take care of itself. If not it will probably not take long to really go down hill. I am loyal to Hilton and a Diamond member and probably stay 200 plus nights a year in Hilton properties, I would question this hotel before I stay there again, in fact I have cancelled my next reservation there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
MAFHA, Front Office / Director of Sales Manager at Hampton Inn Midland TX, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
I do apologize for the inconvenience that we have caused you during the duration of your stay with us at this property. We are currently looking for more staff and regretfully understand that you did not have the exceptional service that we strive to provide for all of our guests. Please note that we have reimbursed you for one night's stay and hope that you do come and visit us again at our property. Whenever you are in the area, please give me a call and I will personally make sure that everything is exceptional for you.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!!

Annette J Ybarra
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I am incredibly loyal to Hilton. I switched from Marriott to Hilton about 4 years ago and have been diamond status ever since then. I appreciate the quality and consistency offered by the many Hilton brands, and mostly stay at Hiltons, Hilton Garden Inns and Hampton Inns.

I am very surprised and disappointed at the horrific guest experience
at Hampton Inn Midland. In a nutshell, the staff is in attentive and
unprofessional, the hotel is tired and poorly maintained, and neither deserve the Hilton tag.

- My room wasn't ready when I arrived at 430pm

- Front desk phone repeatedly gave a busy signal during both nights of my stay. I had to go to the front desk and tell them.... To their surprise!

- I dropped of dry cleaning the evening that I arrived and asked 3 times if it would be ready the next evening. Front desk assured me it would be. My clothes weren't back by 9pm the following evening, so after 15 min of blank stares the manager got in his car and drove to the dry cleaners to them up. It finally showed up at 10pm... I think all they did was press it, not actually dry-cleaned it... still smelled like the prior night's restaurant.

- After receiving a busy signal when dialing zero I went to the front desk. I found that no one was manning the front desk. The two hotel employees had setup camp in the guest dining area and were eating fast food with friends. After they finished was in their mouth they got up and went behind the desk to help me. This should never happen at a hotel.

- Feet stuck to the floor in the bath room, walls were covered with marks and goo... maybe the staff should remove the giant booger on the wall above the headboard in, see picture)

All in all, this Hampton is enjoying the oil boom in Midland, raking in the high rates, yet not keeping their eye on the business of properly running a hotel.

Room Tip: go somewhere else....
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I need to state right away, Hilton properties are always our first choice. This one Hilton Inn is at the very bottom of our experiences with Hilton properties.
There are so many things wrong with this property - but one thing right - thank goodness there is a 100% satisfaction guarantee and I BET they use it a lot.
Room was dirty, furniture needs to be replaced, bathroom was not clean and not sure when that room had been cleaned prior to our arrival. It certainly had NOT had the cleaning which should be done between guests. In fact, and it's funny, there is a sign in the elevator - this bed is so clean - isn't that funny? Who would you expect anything else? While the bedding may be clean, it's worn out, the mattresses need to be replaced or at least turned. Furniture is worn out and torn. I could go into lots of details but here is the bottom line - when your feet stick to the floor in the bathroon and you try to wipe it up with a wet white towel and the towel turns black, you know there is an overall housekeeping problem!
We observed, not only problems in our room, several other main property maintenance problems - empty hot tub, swipe card readers on exterior doors which don't work, elevator was not cleaned even once while we were there - same dirty carpet the entire time - environmental controls in the hallway on 3rd floor which had busted covers just barely hanging on the wall - anyone could fool around with it, etc.
The staff is friendly, the rooms way overpriced for what you get. Since I have addressed in more detail with the Hilton survey, it's enough to say here that until this property cleans itself up, this is at the most a 2 star experience and definitely not worth the room rates. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stayed for 5 nights on a trip to visit my son and daughter-in-law in May 2012. The staff was very friendly and helpful, greeting me each time and came and went through the lobby. The room was very clean and comfortable, with comfortable bedding and the expected amenities. The location is nice with lots of restaurants, shopping, and recreation nearby. They have a wonderful hot breakfast, free wi-fi, free parking, and a even a complimentary guest laundry. There are cookies and lemonade in the lobby each afternoon, and I rarely even heard a door close from a neighboring room during my stay. I will definitely stay again whenever I visit Midland and recommend the hotel for business travel, families, or any type of travel to the Midland area.

Room Tip: I stayed on the side facing the front overlooking the pool and parking lot, but there wasn't any...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I was very impressed with how most of the staff went out of their way to be helpful. The hotel was clean and conveniently located to places to eat.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Forney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We were visiting family and friends and went down the road checking each motel/hotel. The Hampton Inn was very friendly when checking in. Their beds are VERY SOFT and comfy. The continental breakfast was great, best I've ever seen. We had a couple complaints and while eating breakfast I kept watching the front desk and trying to decide if I even wanted to say anything. I decided to and told them they had a beautiful hotel however I did have a couple complaints. After we discussed my complaints our one night stay was free. They did not charge us for the room stating we did not get the quality care they strive for. WE WILL BE BACK AT THIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: just tell the front desk what you want..they will accommodate you
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Midland TX? Share your experiences!