“nice hotel, nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Midland
Birmingham
“nice hotel, nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very nice hotel, newly renovated, friendly staff, convenient, very quiet. The hotel is beside the loop and my room was beside the elevator and I didn't hear either one (and I'm a light sleeper). There was a nice breakfast included with the stay. The bar and TV viewing area were cozy and there's even a light menu for those who want to stay in

Room Tip: I went with a large group, the rooms were all spread out, and everyone had a nice room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

When searching for a hotel near MAF, I was surprised at how high priced all the hotels were. Even hotwire.com couldn't get me a much lower price....so I chose the cheapest out of 2.5-3 star hotels which was the Courtyard Marriott Midland. It's definitely a luxurious 3 star. Everything is new and beautifully decorated. The room especially was sooooo beautiful that my first reaction was "wow is this nice!" And we travel alot so expect a certain type of room at a certain price but this hotel was definitely worth the price.

My husband has a bad back and the bed was great...sheets are clean and crisp, plentiful pillows. Gorgeous big bathroom had those nice extra amenities like makeup remover. Black out curtains worked great. When we first walked in the room, it was really cold because the A/C had been set to 61. I wondered how long it would take to warm up and wore my jacket as I turned on the heat. I couldn't hear anything, the system was so quiet but knew it worked as I had to take off my jacket within minutes!!!

Breakfast area is huge with a complimentary hot breakfast....a REAL hot breakfast, none of those fake eggs, etc. Extras like fresh scones, just a great variety of stuff. Add the savings of not having to eat out to the cost of the room, and the value of this hotel is great!!!

Every staff member I ran into was very friendly and helpful. I move pretty slow in the mornings so when I came down to the lobby for coffee, I heard a cheerful "good morning!". It took me a second for me to react and I slowly looked over at the front desk. There was this smiling young man. I grunted "huh?" He smiled "just wishing you a good morning". He just made me smile....nice way to wake up. Then the kitchen staff would politely smile asking if they could get me some coffee. GREAT staff!

When all the hotels in the area are high priced, you want to at least get your money's worth and this hotel was worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lubbock, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The room was clean and spacious. Well appointed. The front desk clerk was friendly.
The complimentary breakfast was great. Eggs, sausage, bacon, grits, oatmeal, fruit, etc.

As a Marriott Rewards member, I had saved up points and got a discount on the room.

Nitpicks: No landscaping in the back, and the pool was outside and hadn't been cleaned yet, even though it's mid-April and 90 degrees.

Couldn't even use the hot tub.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott 3 times for business. The first time there was a loud noise all throughout the early morning. I still don't know what it was. The second trip was much better with no problems. My most recent stay was 03/31/13. I checked in very late and was hoping to get some much needed rest. The wind was howling through the sliding glass window (2nd floor). I tried to close the window better, but was unable to keep the sound out. The a/c fan, even though I had it turned "on" was only intermittent. My hope the a/c would drown out the wind noise did not happen. The shower door did not close all the way so water soaked the towel on the floor. Check out time was noon. At 10:40, housekeeping is knocking at the door and unlocking it. So much for my much needed rest.
Hotel prices in Midland are ridiculous due to the booming economy. For the price I paid, it was not worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My stay at the Courtyard Marriott was okay but the prices are crazy high when there is any type of convention in town. Staff is usually friendly and the check-in process went smoothly. The room was clean and not bad for a Marriott. There are dining options and shopping within the area making it a nice location. Just beware the price gouging during conventions.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brownfield, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked this hotel for a one night stay...when we got to the hotel to check in the woman had already messed up a guests reservation and ended up giving her an out of order room. When the guest ask why was it out of order the employee said because there was vomit on the bed. How discusting is that? When it was my turn I gave my husbands name and she told me my room was cancelled for a no show the previous night. I was furious. When we finally got it all worked out she told me my card would not be charged again...we went up to the room and our TV was not working so I called the front desk and that was a joke bc I got no help on how to fix it so my kids were stuck watching netflix on their ipods...in the morning we went down to breakfast and while we were eating so was the "on the clock" receptionist two tables down from us...when I approched the front desk to verify my card would not be charged the woman got up to help me and assured me it would not be charged...well when we got home and check our bank statement online the Marriott charged us a total of $392 for ONE night when our rate was only $159 per night...I would not recommend this hotel to anyone service was terrible and our stay in midland was a hassle....I wish I would have listened to my husband and stayed at the Hampton like he insisted in the first place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Pebble Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Over priced? You bet, bet EVERYTHING in Midland/Odessa is overpriced with the current oil/gas boom. I paid $365 per night for a king room! (by comparison the Travel Lodge was $285/night for a queen).

This hotel is relatively new and does not show any signs of wear.

Check-in was fast, friendly and efficient. I was provided a room RIGHT NEXT TO the elevator

The elevator has a loud buzzer inside that sounds with every push of a button. This is before the DOORS CLOSE, so the adjacent rooms get the benefit of the constant buzzing.

At 7 AM, I was awaken by a pounding sound that was similar to a nail gun. About every 20-30 seconds as "thump" resonated through my bathroom ceiling.

I reported both to the front desk. They were ambivalent to my situation and did not offer to change my room.

Breakfasts were OK. Typical residence Inn breakfast buffet: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, bagels, biscuits and gravy. Fruit, cereal & oatmeal were also available. Custom prepared eggs are available - IF you can find someone from the kitchen to take your order!

The coffee was hot, but not the greatest. It had a slight "burned" taste to it (maybe they haven't cleaned the coffee maker out with vinegar to remove the crap that collects in the machine).

The dumpster of the adjacent restaurant (next door business) is emptied on Friday mornings at 7 AM, so don't plan on sleeping in (or get a room at the south end away from the pool).

I down rated this review because of the noise in my room, inability to sleep in and the front desk's lack of concern.

Room Tip: Get a room at the SOUTH end, away from the neighboring restaurant & nearby highway.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Midland Odessa? Share your experiences!