“Unsanitary Conditions” 1 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   117 W. Wall St., Midland, TX 79701 (Formerly Hilton Midland)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #7 of 35 hotels in Midland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lakewood, Colorado
“Unsanitary Conditions”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

As of early November, 2012. Diamond Member Hilton hotel chain. "Temporary" restaurant has been set up for breakfast and food is covered literally with tens of flies. Person at desk has a fly swatter to keep the flies off of them. No hot water on one night. I shudder to think how they wash the sheets in cold water. I would absolutely avoid this hotel - I have stayed here over the years and it is getting worse and worse.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Punkin7338, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay at our hotel. We are very sorry that we did not meet expectations and we’re actively working with our housekeeping team to focus on cleanliness and comfort throughout our property. We have noted the condition of the temporary restaurant was substandard. We’ll keep your concerns in mind as we evaluate refresh options at our property. Thank you again, and we hope you’ll stay with us the next time your travels bring you back to the area.

Be Blessed,
Mary Jo White

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

As you park for check in, you get that feeling that you are in the nicest hotel in town. Nice lobby with revolving doors. Parking is either valet (which is complimentary) or you can park in the garage behind hotel. A warm cookie is given to you. I never saw the valet guy when I needed. The hotel is old, aged and the rooms show its age. The phone in my room was broken which I could not use for a wake up call. Called front desk but nothing was done. The bed is soft to the point that I thought I was sleeping on a hammock with that gap underneath you pulling you down. Did not get good sleep. Hurt my back. There is no complimentary breakfast, unless you are a VIP or belongs to some sort of club as I was told by receptionist. I am an HHonors member, but it didn't do much for me here. The view from the room faces an old pool deck that belongs to another hotel. The room was very clean. The bathroom is granite upgraded and very well kept. It was an ok experience for the two nights I stayed here. I will go back to Sleep Inn or Hampton next time. Their rates are better and you get free hot breakfast if you are VIP or not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a firmer bed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
East TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Hilton Honors Member. Stayed here for the first time. Most other Hilton locations in the area had already been booked. Carpet was dirty, food under cushions on couch, cushion on chair completly ripped in back, and light fixture in bathroom out. Tried checking in a 4:45 pm and room was not ready. 10 minutes later I was told it was ready, got checked in and maid was still in my room cleaning. Not worth the money. Not Hilton standards.

Carrollton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel used to be a Hilton but now is a DoubleTree. We have spent at least 300 nights in the Midland Hilton and just 2 in the DT. I saw them cleaning up the deck around the hot tub so it should be spiffy now. The new general manager was present and available. We arrived on Wednesday when they have some wacky wig hair day so don't get freaked out by the valet or desk clerk - they are having fu and building morale. The breakfast was at least average with an omelette bar. The bar is smokey but all bars in Midland are. I think Wall Street Bar across the street does not allow smoking but it's pretty busy. The beds were comfortable. They are updating the rooms so you may get a new one if you are Hilton rated. But, then, with the lack of hotel rooms in Midland, you might not get a new room. Book at least 2 weeks out to get a room at this hotel. With the current oil boom, the sooner the better or you might be sleeping in Big Springs!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are in the process of a major renovation throughout the entire hotel. Rooms are nearly complete and we have started on the public areas. I hope you will come see all of the changes, including the expanded bar! We are hoping it will be open by the New Year. :)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Very Nice Rooms. Beds are Comfortable. Rooms are very Quiet. Great Internet and TV. No freebies here though. For 123.00 a night they could at least have a cont. breakfast. Restaurant and bar are nice but pricey. Smoking is allowed in the bar, which kept me out. No Microwave or fridge in the rooms.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor and it was very quiet.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I live in Texas and you get used to friendly hotel staff, but the Hilton now the Doubletree Midland kills you with kindness. I don't think I have ever met a nicer, attentive staff in all my travels. Free valet service, check in was quick and easy and included a warm cookie. How could you go wrong with a free cookie? The manager was in the lobby and came up to ask me if all was well and I needed help to my room. The hotel is going through or just went through a remodel and branding change.

The room was beautiful and looked out on to the pool and the other tower. Everything was clean. Once in my room I had a welcome package of snacks - woo hoo!

I did not eat dinner in the hotel even though there is an onsite restaurant - I will try that next time. Within walking distance is the Wall Street Bar and Grill. I had breakfast brought up through room service - it was on time and very good. I was even provided a detailed receipt without asking - this is needed to do my expense report.

Several times I was in the lobby and saw the manager checking on guests and available for staff. This is nice to see, doesn't happen often that you see such an attentive manager.

I will stay here again next time I am in town.

Room Tip: There are two towers - I have heard other guests mention staying in the North Tower.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012 via mobile

I am a loyal Hilton Honors member and very rarely do I find one of their properties to be unacceptable. This is one of those locations I will never visit again.

This location is in downtown Midland so I was shocked at the condition of the hotel. Check-in was smooth, but this where the adventure begins. To get to the next tower I was staying in required a haul. Having to get up in less than 6 hours for a flight out of there I was not in the mood for a hike to my room.

Room was ok, but not like what's am used to when it comes to Hilton. My complimentary Hilton perk items where in my room. Then I spot the ugly and dirty A/C and heat unit. It was bit chilly that night but i knew from past experiences never to turn on a dirty unit. The closet was so small you could not store maypny clothes, so do not plan on a long stay. The bathroom was almost as small. You could not get in the shower with the dope open because it meets the toilet and bathtub. The vanity had a broken door that fell off while I was showering. In side was concrete floor, pipes and a diet Coke can someone left behind...yuck!

This is not a hotel, rather a motel and should be charging motel prices.

Stayed February 2012

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza? Share your experiences!