“beautiful building, some issues with management” 3 of 5 stars

DBB Offer - £199!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rushton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“beautiful building, some issues with management”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Rushton Hall offers its visitors a unique experience owing to its amazing architecture and heritage. Their dinner menu was very good, service was impeccable. However, lunch at the same place was far less satisfying, perhaps i got unlucky. The bar in the great hall has a nice ambience, but the sofas have really battered upholstery, and there is a stale smell in all the carpets. I actually dropped my napkin during lunch there and when i picked it up it had a ball of hair attached to it. So they could improve on the housecleaning for sure. Some things that I'd like to warn future visitors about are the following:
1. check-in is not until 3 pm, so you have you keep yourself occupied if you arrive early. If you decide to pass time at the spa in the meantime, you will be charged an extra £10-20 per person
2. If you are visiting on the weekend and have not pre-booked any treatments at the spa, chances are they will have no room for you (thats what happened with us, as the place is frequented by locals quite heavily it seems)
3. Pharmacies are not easily accessible, especially on Sunday

Other than these things, you can have a good and relaxing time and there are plenty of walking paths and neighbourhoods to explore, so be sure to pack some walking shoes!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
northampton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

First of all I would like to say that I reviewed this hotel after spending New Years Eve there and it was fabulous, also we have had afternoon tea on several occasion throughout the year and have enjoyed each time. However, on arrinving for afternoon tea on Sunday 13th October at 4-30pm we approached the member of staff who was standing at the bar not serving to ask where we would be seated. He pointed to a table and said 'that one over there by the door', we were not shown to our table as usual, But that was ok. On being seated we noticed the table cloth was very dirty obviously someone had sat there previously. When the same person came over to us with the menus we asked politely for the cloth to be changed, he admitted to setting the table himself and told us they were short on linen!! On ordering we said neither of us ate meat but my husband(who loves the salmon sandwiches at Rushton Hall) does eat fish. Problem sorted (or so we thought). The member of staff obviously forgot aboutboth things and we had to ask another waiter for a clean cloth, he promptly apologised and changed it. Our glass of champagne arrived and our sandwiches minus the salmon. We didn't say anything though, because the sandwiches were nice, however by the time we had finished our sandwiches no tea had arrived so I had to approach the waiter to ask for our tea because he did not seem to be looking around to see if anyone needed attention. (Very unusual for Rushton Hall) Our tea arried and we were then given a small plate of cakes which I have to say were delicious, however usually someone comes round later with a selection of other cakes to offer,which did not happen on this afternoon. We paid the bill and left, this time without leaving a tip. This was the first time we had left thinking where can we go next time for afternoon tea. The waiter did tell us that he had only been there for 6 weeks so maybe he needs more training or was it just that it was the 13th unlucky for some. US!!! I do hope this was just a blip and we were just unlucky.

Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Have just come back from a 2 night stay. Cannot recommend this hotel enough. Fantastic location, fantastic room and amenties. The staff were wonderful right from the start, even took us to our room. We stayed in the Hope bedchamber, which was roomy with a huge bathroom. We ate in the restaurant and the staff were attentive but not overpowering. The presentation of the food was tip top and tasted devine. There are some good walks around the grounds. Breakfast too was excellent, part buffet part cooked. Please do not overlook this place - it's simply stunning.

• Stayed October 2013
Nottinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Driving through the gates our first sight of Rushton Hall was just breathtaking. Manicured grounds opening up to reveal what must surely be one of the finest examples of architecture around this area. Entering through the oak doors into a hallway, through which can be seen a central courtyard with fountain, we walked into reception where we had the warmest of greetings. We were shown to our room - the Cockayne bedchamber - which occupies the front corner of the building - complete with enormous leaded bay window. The room was beautifully furnished, as indeed was the whole place, it was warm and inviting and very impressive. I could go on at length about the beauty of this place, and it is extremely beautiful, but the most impressive part would have to be the staff. Without exception they were all so friendly, knowledgable, helpful and very proud of Rushton Hall - this speaks volumes for the owner - who incidentally is very hands on and goes out of her way to make your stay memorable. If you stay here you absolutely MUST eat in the restaurant, the food is sublime- the best I've ever had. Would I recommend this place - absolutely - just not to too many people because I want to go back there myself - and very soon. Tom the concierge gave us an amazing tour of the house which was fascinating. Highly recommend the spa too.

Room Tip: The Cockayne bedchamber is wonderful. We also saw the Dukes room which we will book next time! It ha...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We booked this deal through secret escapes for my parents it was the 45th wedding anniversary, the text I received from them was a great relief!
On arrival (late as they got lost) they were greeted by the staff with a very warm welcome, they went up to there room which was a classic room basic and clean (I wish we could have afforded to upgrade but the funds didn't let us) they had there flat screen tv in the lounge area and also in the bedroom area, tea and coffee facilities towels and slippers and gown. The view from the bedroom window was amazing. They did make full use of the amenities the pool and spa and from what they said it was lovely.
They did dine in the restaurant and had a wonderful waiter called Badger who was an absolute delight! The food was amazing they both had different choices off the menu and tried a bit of everything (there both very fussy about there food) so much to my relief everything was delicious. Mum's words were "it was a dream come true to stay in a truly amazing place that she never thought that they would stay anywhere with such stature as Rushton Hall, just would like to say thank you so much for making my parents day such a memorable experience to all the staff a Big Thank You.

Stayed October 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I agree with other comments on here - as you approach the hotel the only word you can utter is "wow!". It is a beautiful building. The inside does not disappoint either.

My room was in the former stables and was amazing. The bathroom was also of a very high standard, with the heated towel rail a welcome touch. I used the spa to swim and sauna, plus relax on the beds around the pool and it was a lovely area.

I must say that the staff were very friendly and helpful, I was impressed by this. Breakfast was nice but I did not eat dinner at the hotel so I can't comment on that.

Ample free parking, gorgeous grounds, extremely comfortable bed, lovely building and a friendly welcome with the added bonus of spa facilities - this is a very special hotel and I hope to return soon.

Stayed October 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

What a treasure! We found this on secret escapes - set in beautiful surroundings with really lovely staff. I had a deep tissue massage which was brilliant ... Even better that I got 10% off with our deal! Breakfast was very good too. Definitely worth a trip!

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!