“Shame about the Owner” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Shame about the Owner”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

My partner and I booked two nights stay as we were attending the 2011 Jaguar Drivers Club National Day nearby. Four other couples from the Jaguar Club also booked rooms. The grounds of the hotel are impressive and the hotel is a magnificent spectacle as one drives in. Our friends and ourselves arrived in seven classic MK10 Jaguars - a rare sight to behold . We were too early to check in to our rooms (check-in was from 3pm) and so we all drove to the overflow car parking area away from the main building. We parked the cars and proceeded to get two picnic tables and some chairs out of the cars, as well as champagne and wine to enjoy in the sun whilst waiting for our rooms to be ready. Without warning, a car roared up to our group and a lady jumped out of the car, demanding to "know what was going on". It transpired (unbelievably) that the lady in question , Valerie, was the owner of the hotel! In broken English (we discovered she was from France) she told us we had five minutes to pack everything away. I assumed she had not realised that we were in fact booked into the hotel but that did not appear to make any difference to her attitude. She said that she had no objection to us having our drinks in our rooms but NOT in the overflow car park. As the rooms were not ready, this would have proved difficult! We were not causing any problems whatsoever, in fact other guests were enthralled by the impressive line-up of Jaguar cars and had taken photographs. I always assume that. when one is staying in a hotel, the facilities and grounds are there to be enjoyed, which is what we were doing. We are made to feel as if we were travellers to be evicted. Bearing in mind the cost of a double room is £170 per night and five of us had booked rooms, we feel that the lady owner in question has rather an odd business ethic as we shall never, ever stay there again and we did, in fact, cancel our second night there.

Some of our group attempted to order Afternoon Tea in the hotel, which was advertised as a selection of sandwiches, cakes, scones, etc.. However, they were informed that sandwiches were not available as staff were busy catering for a wedding! Hardly what one expects from a hotel of this supposed calibre.

I also heard other guests complaining that their rooms were not ready by the allotted time.

Turning to the bedrooms, the light in our bathroom above the sink did not work, there was no extractor fan or window in the bathroom and the bedroom was unbelievably hot.

In favour of the hotel, the staff were polite and the building itself is magnificent.

Room Tip: If it is summer and laible to be hot, try and get a room where the sun will not directly shine throu...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
valhNorthamptonshire, Owner at Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2011
Dear Guest,

I would like to paint a different picture. 14 people in a car park with a large amount of empty bottles of Champagne and wine. I did not happen to go through the car park, I came following a customer complaint. A lady, her elderly mother and 2 young children visited for afternoon tea. They decided to park in the bottom car park as there were no spaces left near the hotel. The lady felt intimidated by a large group of adults clearly having been drinking and decided it was not safe to park there. She came back to the Hotel and asked to speak to me. I decided to come and talk to the guests on my own as I did not want to blow the matter out of proportion. I simply asked for all alcohol to be put away. I do not feel my request was unreasonable particularly as this is in our terms and conditions and at all points I remained polite even when the trip advisor reviewer started insulting me, calling me scum amongst other terms. I take great exception to the mention of my nationality. After over 20 years in England I certainly do not think that I speak in "broken english" and the fact that I am french is not relevant to the matter. I believe I remained professional throughout the intimidating ordeal . I would also like to add that the rest of the party were extremely polite and understanding. I simply wanted the drinks to be put away (and indeed I suggested they could have them in their room if they wished, this all happened around 4pm and therefore check in was possible at this time) . I never meant to offend anyone and this is why I visited on my own, I just wanted the matter to be closed without making it an issue. I am sorry it did not turn out this way.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Desborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Thank you so much to everyone involved at Rushton Hall for making the Wedding Reception
of my Daughter and Son in Law such a perfect event.
Thanks especially to Rachel for her amazing organisation and to Matt who managed everything superbly on the day.
The food ,service and accomodation were absolutely first class and everyone could not praise Rushton Hall enough.
Everyone at Rushton Hall made it a day we will always remember.
I would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
valhNorthamptonshire, Owner at Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am absolutely delighted by your comments, they are a great boost for all staff involved and I hope very helpful to other customers considering Rushton Hall for their wedding.

I am pleased the Wedding day went so well and I thank you for your review.

Oakley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We had a Champagne Cream Tea as a Christmas present and decided to add a nights stay (£170). The cream tea was nice but when we asked if we could order more sandwiches we were advised the Chef was 'stressed' as there was a wedding and it was suggested we could go to the local pub!!! The food experience didn't improve in the evening when we had dinner. My food was lukewarm/cold. When the manager took our plates I asked where the kitchen was situated as my food was cold. He replied it was in the next room but didn't offer any apology. We signed for the meal and I asked the waitress to pass on my comment to the chef about the food being cold. The Manager came out again after this and started to say how many meals they produce etc, and that I had opportunity to send my food back if I had called someone over. not quite what I was expecting. I would not be happy with my meal going back while my partner then ate his meal alone and vice versa when mine would come out again. So overall not a great experience. However with the negatives aside the Hotel is beautiful. We stayed in the Lake room which was clean, the bed was a bit too hard so sleep wasn't very restful. The bathroom is huge. The spa is lovely very bright and relaxing. Breakfast was very good. The full English does not include beans but if you ask they are on the vegetarian option. We have stayed in a number of similar properties to this for much less and had just as good if not better accomodation. Pinot Grigot £20.50 (they ran out by 6.0pm) Champagne £45.00 per bottle. The grounds are nice. The lake unfortunately is stagnant at the moment and very smelly. We will not have this on our list of places to go back to.

Room Tip: The LAke Room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear you did not fully enjoy your stay with us and you do not wish to return to Rushton Hall.

I will discuss the issues you raised with the Restaurant staff.

turin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Were there for a wedding and also slept there. Having 2 little kids, the room we had was very spacious and the place itself is wauw, very nice. Since we were there for a wedding, don't know how it is as a normal guest, but as a guest for the wedding we were really treated very well, food and breakfast were top.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay in the Hotel. We bought Rushton Hall in 2003 and after all this time I still admire the building every morning, when it suddenly appears at the bottom of the drive.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

It blew us away upon arrival.
Truly magnificent exterior and interior. I booked a massage in the totally wonderful spa and then meet my partner in the pool. The massage was one of the best I've had...and I have had quite a few, in some fantastic retreats worldwide....so I really recommend. We hadn't fully explored the hotel before dinner, so when we walked through the great hall we were totally wowed...seriously impressive, grand and magnificent. We were whisked into the dining room prompt at 7.45 and it was then our experience took a slight nose dive...only due to the fact that the waiter -'Nathan', seemed to think he was a little better than us, and made a few petty sarcastic remarks...what a shame he had to spoil what was otherwise a totally perfect weekend retreat in a splendid, grand and utterly wonderful great British Manor. The food, by the way, was very good. It wasn't remarkable but a very good standard and not too highly priced. I highly recommend a stay here, just watch for the odd slightly arrogant waiter!

Room Tip: superior was great but any above that i imagine would be incredible
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
valhNorthamptonshire, Owner at Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your comments and I am sorry if you feel one of my members of staff was discourteous. Caring for our customers in a friendly manner is an essential element of our work ethic and I apologise if this was not your experience on the day. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the Hotel and the Spa and I hope to welcome you back to Rushton Hall in the future.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed overnight in this hotel as part of a promotion. We were given a superior room at half the normal price. The room was amazing with a free standing bath in the room rather than in the bathroom - very different.

We had a walk in wardrobe with plenty of space for luggage and clothes and a sofa and armchair as well, so plenty of room to sit and read as well as free wi fi which is a bonus.

The spa was great and a bonus for us.

What made this hotel so special was that the staff were so attentive addressing us by our names and they seemed very polite and genuine all the time. Some hotels have staff who have a distinct lack of interest in the guests but we didn't find this problem at all.

The grounds are lovely and this hotel is a real surprise and a good find.

We would love to stay here again. Great dinner (fine dining if a little pricy) and excellent breakfast. I think we would only be able to stay again if we were able to take advantage of an offer but I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Look out for offers, we had an expensive room and a reasonable cost.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your wonderful comments and excellent score and I do hope we will have the pleasure of your visit at Rushton Hall again in the future.

Bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My friend and I stayed a night in a superior room as part of a Groupon deal we purchased. The room was excellent with both of us having probably a 4ft bed each. We spend most of the time in the spa, my massage was excellent and my friend had a pedicure. The pool, sauna, steam room, changing room etc were all clean and well presented. We ate in the restaurant on the Table d'Hote menu and enjoyed a high quality meal for a pretty reasonable price. Breakfast was varied and hot.

All of this against the backdrop of the beautiful Rushton Hall. We very much hope to go again shortly

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am grateful for your review, particularly as I note you have written many reports before!

I am pleased you enjoyed your break with us and I hope to welcome you at Rushton Hall in the future.

Valerie Hazelton

Been to Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!