“Superb!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Spalding, United Kingdom
“Superb!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed at Rushton Hall last night, and wanted to eat somewhere else, but not too far away. Earlier in the day I had rang Thornhill Arms, but was told they were fully booked, but the young lady did say if any bookings became available she promised to call back. I was genuinely disappointed as I had seen beef stroganoff on the menu and was dead set on that!

On returning to our room at the hotel following a relaxing afternoon, I noticed a missed call on my mobile, and sure enough it was the thornhill arms, and when I rang back I was delighted to be told they old squeeze us in.

Warm welcome, polite and courteous service but in no way OTT. Starters were good. Main was outstanding and I would go as far as saying the Beef Stroganoff was the best I have ever tasted and anyone with a soft spot or this dish, do yourself a massive favour and try it! Aparrently this dish served on Fridays and Saturday only though. My fiancee had steak and scampi. The steak was beautifully cooked to medium rare.

Quite simply great place, great staff and great food.

Delightful!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Boston, United Kingdom
“Good pub fayre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

While staying at the very nearby Rushton Hall we gave this a try for an evening meal, plenty to choose from on either an A la Carte Menu or set price 2/3 course Menu (which we went for) Both courses were of a very generous proportion and a good example of pub food and for 2 courses £10.95 decent value. Service was friendly and prompt, would I eat here again, Yes.

Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect Sunday dinner - great find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa 06/10/13 and decided not to eat at the hotel.
We booked a table at the Thornhill Arms in advance to our stay and we were more than happy with our choice.
It was a ten minute straight walk from door to door and would def recommend anyone to do the same.
The carvery itself was the best I have ever had in a restaurant - in London I am used to the likes of the Toby Carvery etc and this was more like a home made one. So much choice of veg which was cooked perfect not hard or mushy. The meat was delicious - I am very fussy and do not eat undercooked meat - my plate was clean.
Huge choice of desserts - even my partner was tempted and ate one and he never has dessert
We had 2 courses each and 2 alcoholic drinks which came to £42ish

Shame we dont live closer as we would def be back more often, the decor and atmosphere was warm friendly and a pleasure thank you!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Cleaning problem”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Have used the Thornhill Arms Rushton many times over the years but went recently and whilst the food and service was okay the gents toilets leave much to be desired.No hot water and decidedly grubby needs a good clean throughout especially the handbasin and the floor, not good at all.

Sue and Stewart Kettering.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Evermily, Owner at Thornhill Arms, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about our bathrooms at The Thornhill.
As you will see we don't normally respond to reviews as we believe that every customer is entitled to their own opinions, good or bad.

However, I would like to take this opportunity to make our regular and new customers aware that our men's toilet facility has been refurbished since the date of this review. The refurbishment took longer than anticipated due to how busy we have been and I feel that looking at the date of your review you probably visited us during this time.
Being a family business we take pride in every single aspect of our establishment, cleanliness being a huge priority.
Kind regards,

The Family of The Thornhill Arms
London, United Kingdom
“A restaurant within a bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

If you are looking for a nice Bristish country pub, this is not it! If you want reasonable food sat at tables within a pub design this will do. Much nice pub in Rockingham if you have a car and only 15 mins away.

I later found out that the owner id buying up pubs and converting them to bR/restaurants just like this.

Disappointing.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Evermily, Owner at Thornhill Arms, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Thornhill Arms. As you will see that we don't normally respond to reviews as we believe every customer is entitled to their own opinion, good or bad.

However, I would like to take this opportunity to let our regular and new customers know that the information you have supplied at the end of your review is completely incorrect! As a family business we only run The Thornhill Arms and do not buy up pubs to change them and have no future intentions to do so. We have and are considering investing in a separate Wedding Venue due to the incredible interest we constantly receive about larger wedding parties and marquees, but are unable to provide due to the upset of the villagers.

I am sorry you did not enjoy the surroundings that we take pride in and understand that it is not to every single customers taste but thoroughly enjoy hearing the large amount of positive comments receive on a daily basis.