“Good Value for Money” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Rothwell, null, United Kingdom
“Good Value for Money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Just visited this establishment for a quick, cost-effective lunch - which is exactly what we got!

We both had the 2-course lunch for £6.50 plus drinks, so total bill just £18. Electing to do main and dessert, my plaice was large, although mostly breading. Chips and Peas were OK, but you really shouldn't go wrong here. I had Black Forest Cheesecake for dessert with squirty cream, good size portion and the quality was fair. My wife had the Pork Loin which she assured me was tasty, although the roast potatoes were obviously reincarnated from the Sunday carvery. She had rhubarb crumble and custard for dessert, which was tasty, but had obviously been blasted in the microwave for a little too long.

My one hang-up, as we didn't have a reservation, all the best tables were reserved. The room we were in was extremely noisy, and really not conversant for a nice quiet lunch with the wife!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Northampton
“A busy pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We went with some friends at lunchtime on a Wednesday thought it would not be too busy, how wrong was I. There are several rooms where food is served, and as we made our way through them they were all full, eventually a kind waitress said she would clear a table by the bar. She said there might be a bit of a wait as they are full, were weren't in a hurry. About 10 mins she came for our orders, and we only had to wait about 10mins for the starters, and about the same for the main course. This pub is really popular, and from what I can make out its like this most of the time, especially when a carvery is on. The quality of the food is really nice and tasty, and although very busy the service was good. Will be going back there for a carvery one day.
From previous comments about the Seaside cafe look, I just cannot understand them, it's just like a large country pub, I suppose if those people who commented remember it when it was a small country pub. The owners I am sure are very proud of their pub, food, & service, and so they should be.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ascot, United Kingdom
“Fabulous place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This country pub/restaurant/bar is fantastic. I arranged an overnite spa stay at Rushton Hall and booked the Thornhill Arms Afew weeks ahead for our evening meal as it was a 5 min walk from our Spa stay.
Four women - we walked in and out and around Afew times as there was far too much choice of which part of this establishment to sit in. Outside they had tables and chairs and the other side a beer Garden with bench type tables. Inside there were three to four areas you could dine in, which were very comfy and cosy. It was a Tuesday night 30 Jul and the place was packed, soooo glad I made a booking 3 weeks before hand. The food and service was impeccable and with the world of patience as we could not decide where to sit. The staff were at our beck and call to accommodate us, four very indecisive women, just when we decided to take the table booked for us, we then decided its too hot and immediately we were moved to another table in the other area, which was perfect . Food was very good, service impeccable, price - OMG 2 course for £10.50 or 3 for £12.50 with lots of choices. To top it all my friend was not well earlier in the day so slept while us girlies continued in the spa. Come evening she felt better so came out to the pub with us. An hour in, se started to feel unwell again and the food was on its way out to us. My friend went to get some fresh air and realised she is getting worse and definitely needs to go back but no way could possibly make the walk on her own. The waitress Abbey could not call her a taxi as they would not come out just to go Afew mins up the road. Abbey took it upon herself having discussed it with The Manageress to drive my friend back so we could carry on with our evening and my friend would e safe and sound back at Rushton Hall. That was going beyond your call of duty and then they packed my friends dinner in take away containers for us to take back for her.
On our way out we insisted Abbey took some money for her excellent caring attitude and superb customer service. She would not accept it, we had to be very insistent. What a great team of staff and a superb Owner/Manager. Well we are already planning another trip this year and will definitely be dining at The Thornhill Arms in Rushton.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Terrific Food in a Stylish Gastro Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is an impressive gastro pub. Modern and stylish inside but still with countryside and rustic charm. The restaurant was fully booked in a beautiful room with an impressively decorated ceiling.

The menu was varied and beautifully cooked; the portions were enormous. The most amazing thing is the prize. Their special selection menu is incredible value at just £12.50 f0r 3 courses or £10.50 for 2!

Very enjoyable indeed and will be returning when back in Northamptonshire. You MUST book in advance if you want a table!

Visited April 2013
Loddington, United Kingdom
“Lovely carvery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Lovely carvery, but probably not the best place on a hot summers day - far too hot, especially as it's generally busy!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere