“Birthday dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Rushton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: This venue is listed as a Spa and Hotel but not as a restaurant in it's own right. I took my wife to the restaurant for our anniversary yesterday but am unable to write a review. Please help.
“Birthday dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Celebrated my 50th with my wife. Hadn't been there before so didn't know what to expect. Knowing where to go was the first challenge on arrival, when we got to the bar it was not clear what we should do as there was a stand with booking sheet on it. Eventually we went to the bar where we were asked to sit down. After about 5 mins we eventually were attended to.

After that the service was excellent, very attentive and seemed genuinely interested.

Overall the food was excellent with the exception of my tepid starter. The choice was varied and interesting. Well presented if maybe a touch small on the portion front. Pudding was exceptional for both of us.

Some nice touches with the self made butter and bread. Patee was also superb.

Ambiance was good even if the dining room was on the cool side.

Overall we had a pleasant evening but wasn't blown away considering the cost. We will go back but it will not be top of our list.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Rothwell, United Kingdom
“tradional afternoon tea”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was a wedding gift and I'm glad I wasnt paying for this. (this is a review of the afternoon tea only )the venue is loverly & very stateley but the tea was a let down after 10 mins of sitting down our 1 cup of coffee and 1 cappacinne arrived the cup for the cappacinno was so small I coundn't hold the handle properly and they wanted an extra £2.00 for that. The scones and finger sandwiches came which was basically 2 sliced of breads worth each but the fillings well so thin ,I know there surpose to be petite but skinny with the filling you could hardly taste it.The scones where also small .Extra cakes came out, the mince roll was all air and puff pastry , the choclate cake well the topping tasted like used ash trays to me, my partner loves cakes and she wouldn't eat it so can't of been good. we where not offered a refill of our drinks,I coundn't waiting to get out and get home for a proper drink and some proper food. We will not be going for afternoon tea again not worth £22.00 a head glad we didnt have to pay for it

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Enjoyed a really wonderful Sunday lunch as part of a large group celebrating a special wedding anniversary. Good, attentive and very welcoming service. Food was excellent too and the ambience is terrific.

It is a little more expensive than other venues locally but its setting and he splendour of its appearnance and interior makes this the number one choice for a very special treat. Well worth the cost.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ate in the restaurant on Saturday to celebrate an anniversary. We've eaten here a couple of times before and the food is very very good. The Christmas Pudding Souffle we had last Christmas was, quite simply, the very best dessert I've ever eaten. But back to Saturday - we arrived and were shown into the Great Hall for pre-diner drinks and were wished a Happy Anniversary - I though this was impressive as I had only briefly mentioned it when booking in case of a cancellation as I was hoping to book for the previous night but they were full. We were then shown to our table in the restaurant, which was empty at first but soon started to fill up. The staff were all very attentive and managed to combine friendliness and approachability with professional formality. Once again, we were wished a Happy Anniversary. The food was genuinely delicious and the Coconut Souffle was almost up there with the Christmas one! We had coffee and petit fours in the Great Hall - there was a delay in the sweeties coming out but when they arrived, the chef had written Happy Anniversary in chocolate on the plate so the delay was quickly forgiven! This is not a place to go to 'eat cheap' but if you appreciate good food, I do think it's good value for what you get and it is a truly spectacular building. The only negative was that the fires were not lit in the Hall or restaurant and as it was a cold November night, I think that they should have been.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Not upto standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stopped by fr celebration afternoon tea as was in the area during my birthday. I called ahead to notify of seed allergy and confirm booking. Upon arrival no one offered to take nd hang my aket and table linen was very poor standard. Napkins were over started and crisp. Sandwiches arrived on seeded bread with mustard seeds and cucumber, all of which contained seeds! Advertised is a mix of plain and fruit scones but only recieved poor quality plain ones. No extra cutlery was offered or dessert forks for the cakes nd patisserie despite having usedorvious crockery and cutlery for savoury items!
No check back was done during our time and the background music was old and tired, rather expected classical contemporary to span all generation of diners.
Better service, value, ambience and food at other nearby large hotels.

• Visited October 2012