“Wonderful Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marylanza Suites & Spa

You added Marylanza Suites & Spa to your Saves list
Marylanza Suites & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Los Arenales 20 | Los Cristianos, 38650 Playa de las Americas, Tenerife, Spain   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wonderful Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Having just returned from our trip to Tenerife staying in the Marylanza we have already decided to go back next Easter 2015. The hotel staff are fantastic. Pleasant, friendly and warm, from reception to restaurant staff and maintenance staff always smiling and helpful. My 2 year old loved them and they were all lovely to him! The food was great, we were all inclusive and a little concerned we might get bored of eating in the same place 3 times a day however there was something different every day. I did however have to use Ellas Kitchen pouches I had brought as a backup for my little boy most nights for dinner as he can be a little picky with his food but that is not a reflection on the restaurant as the variety was great. The restaurant staff were very helpful and often went off and got my little boy bananas at dinner time even if the bananas weren't laid out as part of the dinner menu as they noticed he loved them at breakfast. The reception staff were efficient from the moment we arrived and throughout our stay always ready to assist and advise. Unfortunately the pool bar was being re roofed from our third day so it was blocked off from then and for the duration of our stay, however the hotel made every effort to provide the pool bar service from the restaurant so it wasn't too much of an inconvenience. Our apartment was perfectly located facing onto the heated outdoor pool with a great terrace from where my mother and I could relax and see my husband and son playing in the pool. Our one bed apartment was a great size for us and with a kitchen having a microwave, cooker rings, fridge, sink, ample presses and delf and glasses we really couldn't ask for much more. The beds were very comfortable and the travel cot provided had a proper mattress, the little guy didn't wake until passed 8.30 most mornings! The only quibble my mum had was that the television was quite old and only had CNBC news channel in English so for the nights when she stayed with our son to let us go out it was a little boring for her. We did have a little difficulty with people walking passed the bedroom window talking loudly and banging doors in the apartments around us at night time which did wake the baby a few times however again this is not a hotel issue it is just something to be aware of if you have small children sleeping in the rooms where the window faces a walkway. The location of the hotel was perfect for us. 15min walk to the main commercial center and beach and it is an easy walk without much hills etc, my mum who has difficulty walking was able for it without any problem. The hotel has a good entertainment program for the evenings with kids disco for about an hour from 8.15pm then a quick round of bingo some nights then a music or magic type act from 9.30pm for an hour or so. My little boy loved the kids disco and the girl who looked after the entertainment! There are activities throughout the day like a little yoga by the pool, aqua aerobics, table tennis etc which are a nice distraction. The overall atmosphere around the hotel is relaxed and comfortable and always spotless and the staff are always easily identifiable and extremely well turned out and look very smart and professional. We have come home for the first time from a holiday anywhere (we are quite well travelled) and cannot wait to book again for next year.

Room Tip: From reading other reviews it would seem the room location has a lot to do with complaints. We were...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
MarylanzaSuites, Director General at Marylanza Suites & Spa, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
I am very thankful for the support shown, especially coming from someone who has been here during the works at the palapa bar. I therefore take this opportunity to thank all those clients - the vast majority - who, even though would obviously have preferred to have the Pool Bar available during their stay, accepted the closure with understanding and patience. THANK YOU.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Sadly another disgruntled Thomson's customer who unknowingly booked and paid full price, as it was Easter school holidays, for a week's holiday on an unsightly building site.
We weren't happy with the room we were initially allocated as its view wasn't dissimilar to that from most Premier Inn's in the UK but reception managed to re-locate us to another despite being told the hotel was at full occupancy. Our new room was better but all 3 of us found the beds and pillows to be extremely uncomfortable but reception again improved the matter by providing mattress toppers.
Considering the hotel was purported to be at full occupancy on the Good Friday it seemed very odd to be told a day later that the hotel management had decided to close the pool snack bar on Easter Monday to replace the roof. His reasoning - as confirmed in his replies to similar recent reviews - was due to low occupancy levels! Now if you relish an argument with an officious ignoramus whilst on holiday the Marylanza is the hotel for you. His conduct throughout the 5 miserable days we had whilst the work to the bar roof was being undertaken was unprecedented. First, he was absent from the hotel on the day the old roof was removed so he cannot vouch for the extent of dust, noise and disruption - it was unacceptable. We finally caught up with him on the 3rd day of the work but we quickly learned that he hasn't the ability to listen and he cut us short to say he needed to be with clients and would come back to us later - he didn't and he was elusive the remainder of our stay . His view that the closed pool snack bar had no impact on hotel guests was plain ridiculous - who would choose to holiday in the immediate vicinity of an unsightly, dusty building site? I bet he wouldn't. Yes the pool bar reopened 5 days later but we were only there a week and the manager failed to grasp that the loss of the facility for the majority of our week ruined our holiday. If anything he actually made matters worse and I feel very sorry for his staff.

Room Tip: Request a top floor room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
This is Fernando aka Basil and would like to share some thoughts with you:
1. Be careful with your requests: if you ask for a room on the second floor with evening sun, you might get it.
2. The officious ignoramus arranged all the room changes had by this happy team, including Insumo, but nobody seems to have appreciated this (at least this lady mentions it…)
3. It sounds crazy, but it is in fact possible for a hotel to be fully booked one day and not three days later. This may happen for instance when hundreds of Scandinavians and Spaniards leave in droves on Easter Sunday, causing the phenomenon known as “Good Friday, but Terrible Monday”.
4. I almost got in trouble with my wife, she was wondering where I was on Monday 21st April all day between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. Thank God I remembered that she had lunch with me that day in the hotel (no sofa tonight, phewwwww!). It would have been kind of difficult to show my charm to JT7952014 and EmmyLou77 on that day being absent, or have a pleasant chat followed by a room change with (I guess) Insumo. As a matter of fact I was around the pool area on several occasions in order to check how the works were going, verify the service provided in the Lobby Bar and Tagoror restaurant, and also give the chance to anyone interested to speak/ask/yell at me. Absolutely NOBODY did (at me at least). Maybe they did not recognize me? We were probably quite a few in a suit and with a tie around the pool area…
5. Before this lady appeared with a series of (let’s say) untrue accusations regarding the letter sent on Saturday or the waiter service provided, I was actually dealing a room change with another couple and it was not fair for them having to wait for me because (1) they were first, (2) they had a reservation at the Kentia restaurant minutes later and (3) there was basically no reason why they should put up with this unpleasant situation which had nothing to do with them. I therefore told her (quite abruptly, that is true) that I had to go with these clients and would return when finished to discuss anything they wished. After showing them a room and arranging the room change (another one!) I came back. This took only a few minutes, but nobody was there anymore.
6. Elusive? No way. I am usually around, but I was especially this specific week due to the works.

I have said it in previous replies: if you want to speak with me you will. It is easy to see me around, but if you do not then just ask at the Reception. But do not ask for Basil. My name Is Fernando.
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Have just spent two excellent weeks at marylanza Everything from the staff to the food was amazing ,nothing was to much trouble for the bar and restaurant staff and they were very attentive during meal times and the quality and choices were plentiful .Situated a nice ten minute walk from the main town .I would defiantly stay there again There seemed to be plenty for children to do and a lovely young girl played water polo and table tennis with them also a very nice lifeguard keeping an eye on things.we booked very last minute so had no time to check things out before hand but couldn't fault anything .

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is the first review I have ever written so things must be bad to have prompted me to this action. We usually go away 3/4 times a year and carefully read these reviews so here goes. We were given our rooms after 5 even though we arrived at approximately 2.30 pm. When we got our rooms we were disappointed with the below ground level allocation. Yes, the type of golf view to be expected if you are are vertically challenged but not if you are 5ft plus. When we booked we went for the Thomson Platinum label but the market for precious metals must have fallen off sharply... The place is overrun with children with sun beds crammed together and this is ok if you expect the hotel to be aimed at this market. However, when choosing a hotel I always use the Platinum and adults criteria. Perhaps the buttons weren't working that day. I suppose the biggest disappointment was the closure of the large pool bar two days in to the holiday. This was a good facility with a wider than usual offering of pool bar snacks and a great place to catch the evening sunshine. This is now a fairly large building site with noise and dust competing with children to affect any chance of relaxation. When we complained about this to the manager his attitude probably won't win him manager of the month for sometime. We have now made an official complaint with the hapless rep and to be fair there is little she can do short of putting on rigger boots and a hard hat to finish the construction job. I'm sure normal service will be resumed but I just wish it hadn't been interrupted during our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
MarylanzaSuites, Director General at Marylanza Suites & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Let’s start saying that THE POOL BAR IS OPEN AGAIN!!!

The works at the Palapa started on Monday 21st April and finished on Friday 25th (this last day the bar area was already available). These two couples arrived on Friday 18th April (that is when our first exchange of charm took place), on the following Monday in the evening I asked one of them if they were happy with their new rooms (this proves quite an effort to be nice, and none of their reviews has mentioned how helpful I was arranging a room change!). The answer was “well…” and headed directly to the rep.

There is a very good thing about this review (apart from the two points I would have never expected from them, maybe the buttons weren’t working that day either), because it shows at last the real reason for their complaint: “The biggest disappointment was the closure of the large pool bar” and “I wish it hadn’t been interrupted during our stay”. Fair enough. I also wish they had expressed their complaint like this, frankly and honestly, without claiming that the sandwiches had been removed from the lobby bar before 6 when that did not happen, writing that there is a major building work going on when it is not, or saying that they were covered in dust when they were not.

We had a problem with the thatched roof when it rained (even though this hardly happens in the south of Tenerife, but this winter has been especially wet), for it leaked and affected the service. When we have a problem we look for a solution. The solution was to put new asphalt roofing in the thatched roof. In order to do so we had to close the Pool Bar. In order to close the pool bar we had to guarantee a similar service somewhere else during the timetable advertised (12:00-18:00). We therefore offered snacks (sandwiches and pastries) in the Lobby Bar in an extended schedule between 10:00-18:00 and hot snacks (pizza, pasta, hamburgers, hot dogs, chips…) plus salads and drinks in the Tagoror restaurant (next to the pool and with a lovely terrace) between 12:30-17:00. We added a water dispenser in the pool area and a table with cava and wine. We had a waiter going around the pool regularly serving beer and soft drinks. We finished the work. We opened. Now the problem is solved.

I understand that it is much nicer to have the Palapa Snack Bar available while visiting Marylanza. That is why we made it. And I agree that it offers a wider choice than in most hotels with that service, we still did so in the Tagoror restaurant. The point is that we have not missed to provide the service announced and intended: snacks and drinks in the pool area between 12:00 and 18:00. It would have been cheaper and definitely not as stressful for us/me not to do this work and let the roof leak until the end of times. But we want to improve and have done this with the best of intentions, even if this won’t win me Manager of the Month. No need to.
Nr Cranborne, Dorset
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

What a disappointment this supposedly 4* or Thomson Platinum hotel is. Our room was a 'golf view' room but being on the ground floor we had
an amazing view of a 15 foot metal fence - to keep the golfers out or us in - I'm not sure - but it was decidedly reminiscent of a prison fence and our room was thereon referred to by our party as 'Prisoner Cell Block H'.

The room itself is spacious, but a little tired with some quick maintenance fixes that left a lot to be desired, one of which is the 'twist to secure' shower curtain pole which fell on my head whilst I was trying to get the over bath shower to work without the bath faucet also running.

What was the proverbial nail in the coffin for this hotel, and has prompted me to write this review whilst still on holiday, is the closure of the pool bar for major refurbishment.

Now the hotel is arranged around 3 pools with far too many sunbeds squeezed side by side so that they are touching all around the pools. The bar is in the centre of the 'head to toe' action, and since the third day of our 7 day stay, there has been mess, dust and dirt mingling with our sun cream leaving us a nice shade of dirty bronze - no thanks to the sun.

The manager here likes to argue with the guests, so if you feel like complaining look forward to a 'heated debate' followed by an absolute refusal that anything is wrong -charming man.

On the plus side, the food has actually been very nice and the waiters and bar staff could not be faulted.

Would I stay here again or recommend it to friends - not unless you like sunbathing centimeters from strangers, being covered in dust and being patronised by the guy in charge whilst within the confines of a 15 foot fence.

• Stayed April 2014
I have learnt a lot of English with this review. I had no idea that patronizing meant “explaining thoroughly and with a lot of patience how and why something is done to somebody who does not really want to know or understand”. Or that funny expression “mingling with our sun cream”, which seems to mean something like “taking all necessary arrangements to keep away from”.

I do not like to argue, but if someone keeps looking for trouble and making up supposed mistakes and failures I cannot just smile and nod in approval. I am glad, however, that despite our lack of mutual understanding she still was objective enough as to appreciate my captivating charm.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed at the Marylanza Suites 1st April to 11th April 2014. The staff were extremely helpful and the food was excellent with something for everyone. The hotel is off the beaten track which didn't bother us as we preferred the quiet rather than the hussle and noise in the centre of Playa de las Americas. The suite was really nice. Our only complaint was that the beds were really hard. Our 11 year old daughter had to sleep on a sofa bed which consisted of a very thin sofa cushion on a wooden frame. We had 2 very sleepless nights of swapping beds and mattresses and in the end complained. Following our complaint the hotel put a mattress topper on the sofa. The evening entertainment was really good with a children's disco until 8pm followed by some fantastic acts and there were activities organised around the pool during the day such as stretch classes, aqua zumba, darts and table tennis. The entertainment was organised by a lovely lady. There were 3 pools a small pool for young children, an adults only pool which was freezing and a heated pool which was always very busy. We would certainly think of returning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Pool bar is currently closed and without any prior notice from Thompson. It's like a building site around the pool so stay away!

The attitude of the Thomson rep is a joke!

The hotel has put on some sandwiches in the lobby bar to compensate for the lost pool bar.

If you enjoy hammering; drilling and dust and dirt you'll enjoy coming here this week.

Stayed April 2014
MarylanzaSuites, Director General at Marylanza Suites & Spa, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
If there really was a reason to complain, why oh why would anyone need to lie when doing so?

Even though Mr. Insumo seems to be in the hotel, since I do not know who he is (I can imagine, however) I have sent a message through Tripadvisor to meet personally, for I am curious on why this inaccurate and incomplete review was written (I imagine the reason, too), but he just replied through Tripadvisor with threats and no real answers.

So now let’s tell truths:
1. We are changing the roof from the Pool Bar to ensure its total impermeability. This will last only a few days.
2. It was not advised when booking because we did not know when we would do it, as we were waiting for the appropriate occupancy and weather conditions and because it does not mean a loss of facility, just a change on the place where the service is provided (a few meters away one from another). A letter was sent to all rooms on Saturday and given to all check-ins since that day informing on the schedule and services offered during the works.
3. Within our all-inclusive we announce that there are snacks available between 12:00 – 18.00. This is still the case.
4. We have sandwiches (and pastries) in the Lobby Bar, but Mr. Insumo misses to mention about the hot snacks, salads, pizza, sandwiches, hot dogs and hamburgers made to the order at the main restaurant between 12:30-17:00 as clearly specified in the above-mentioned letter.
5. It is not meaning any major disturbance, only some (very) occasional noise.
6. In the pool area there is water, cava and wine available, as well as waiter service (which is not usually provided) with beer and soft drinks, while a wider choice of drinks is served at the Restaurant and/or at the Lobby Bar.

So please, if you feel attracted by Marylanza do not worry and just book for next week. But if you enjoy seeing someone desperately looking for compensation then hurry up and come this week!

Been to Marylanza Suites & Spa? Share your experiences!