“Lovely hotel, good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Marylanza Suites & Spa to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Marylanza Suites & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Los Arenales 20 | Los Cristianos, 38650 Playa de las Americas, Tenerife, Spain   |
brighton
“Lovely hotel, good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed at the hotel from the 30th - 7th Oct 2011 for our 1st Wedding Anniversary.
Our suite was really big and spotless. We had a balcony facing the golf course which was a lovely view.
All public areas, reception, pool, restuarant, spa were all really clean. Staff were all very friendly and smiley.

The restuarant is buffet style but they do have chefs area as well where they cook on the grill. I would say the selection of food is very good. There is quite a lot of choice and we always found something we liked very quickly. At lunch & dinner they always have salads so if you want a light, cold meal then you can.

The All - Inclusive ends at 12pm noon on the day you check out, but you can pay 7 euros to keep it. We didn't really care as we had a late flight and it would have cost more than 7 euros to eat lunch, dinner and buy drinks all day. The hotel has a sign up in reception so its not a shock so you should be aware of the charge when you go to check out.

There are a couple of pools which are good sizes. They are good because they have steps and a slope to walk into the pool if needed. All the pools were clean. I don't think there is a massive issue with sunbeds. Yes a couple of them are broken so I would suggest to the hotel to remove these from the pool area but we never had a problem getting sunbeds together. We normally tried to find one about 9am-ish and never any issues. There are people that put there towels out early and never use them but I dont see how the hotel could do anything about this to be honest.

The only down side I would say would be the evening entertainment. We only watched one show which was called "dance fusion". It was a been tacky to be honest and we only stayed about 10 mins. But having said that, they changed the entertainment every night. Dancers, singers, musicans. Maybe if we'd watched more than one show then my opinion would be different.

I also had a facial at the spa which was well priced for 1 hour, and also included a bit of a neck & shoulder massage.

Overall I would say this was a really good hotel, well worth the money we paid for it. We had a really nice time and perfect for our anniversary.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, facing the golf course for the best view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
MarylanzaSuites, Director General at Marylanza Suites & Spa, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Thanks again, we are glad to have helped make this anniversary even more special. We are making some changes in the evening entertainment, as a matter of fact we have removed this specific show from the program (not necessarily meaning that it was bad, but we try to adapt to the taste of our clientele in each period).

1,441 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a week from the 30th September. Hotel looked lovely from the outside and was the same inside. Our room was lovely and spacious with a big walk in shower! Our balcony over looked the main road but that was no problem, I don't spend enough time on the balcony to be bothered about the view! Staff were very friendly and answered any questions I had with pleasure!
Sunbeds- NO PROBLEM! We reserved our sunbeds on the way 2 breakfast at around 8.30.
Food- alot of reviews said the food got repetitive but what do people expect on an all inclusive? Personally I thought the food was delicious! There was a variety of meat cooked fresh infront of you! Various cooked dishes and something new each day!! Big salad bar and soup each day! Wasn't keen on the desserts but I found myself full after soup, salad and a main course. We ate out one night but preferred the hotel food!
Walk to the beach is 10 minutes if that, ask reception for the quickest route as some people have said it's 20 minutes? Cabs are cheap, always under £5 euros.
Guests were mainly old and young couples and families with small babies/toddlers. So there's clearly something for everyone!
Checkouts at 12 so you have to pay to keep your wristbands on but I'm sure you will work out what you need to do to keep them on!!
Overall lovely hotel and holiday! Cannot believe the bad reviews! Will definatly be returning!
Ohh one more thing, try the spa, 15 euros for 2 hours well worth it!

• Stayed October 2011
Thank you so much! But please do not give bad ideas...
Ballymoney, N.IRELAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

We stayed a week all inclusive at this hotel between 30th September and 7th October 2011. The room/suite was spotless upon our arrival and was immaculately maintained throughout our stay. Likewise the pool areas, reception area and dining room were also maintained to a very high standard. We found the staff to be well presented and friendly. Meals were in the form of a buffet, breakfast was excellent, comprising of typical English cooked and Continental cuisine of a high standard. On the downside however, and this is in our opinion what lets the Hotel down, the quality of the evening meal. After a three nights the choice became repetitive, bland and boring, and the deserts were simply pathetic. Another downer is the quality of entertainment, absolutely awful. So bad that we resorted to leaving the hotel and walking around the many shops along the sea front. It really is a pity about the evening meal and the entertainment because it is a well maintained, clean and comfortable holiday destination.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view as we did, that way you avoid the possibility of overlooking a roundabout
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Not much to add, we are already looking into the main issues in this review as I have explained in recent review. I am glad that the rest of the facilities and services were adequate for these clients and that their overall experience was a positive one.
Uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We stayed for a week in September 2011, although the hotel was rated as 4* I personally would not class this as a 4* hotel, there was no wow factor as you entered the lobby and the room that we had was at the front of the hotel so all we saw was the main road from our balcony and above the disco area, so therefore endured load music most nights and a live band playing till 5am at a wedding reception.
Also found the bedrooms dark hardly any natural daylight coming in with terrible tiny windows which were blacked out that did not help, they would be better if they were turned into patio doors facing onto the pool.
Although the food was really good, some of the sunloungers however could do with being repaired or replaced and could do with better entertainment during the day.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the rooms at the back overlooking the mountains/golf area
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
The "wow" factor differs from one person to another, but it is definitely the aim of most hoteliers: that our guests describe their holiday experience with us as unique and amazing. Obviously a beautiful view helps to "wow" much better than that to a street, but we understand that the real "wow" must be a general one. We will keep working on that, fortunately we sometimes achieve our goal (but we want to do so more than sometimes...). As for the sunbeds we are sorting out the problem with the supplier and will be able to repair most of them, but we still have ordered a large amount of new sunbeds which may not be as beautiful, but have proved to be very durable and reliable (which is what counts at last).
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stayed a week at this hotel between 23rd and 30th September 2011. We would say the hotel gets a very solid 4 out of 5. We found the staff very friendly and helpful and most could speak very good English as well. The hotel was very clean and could see staff constantly maintaining the cleanliness. Our room overlooked the golf course and was always very clean and tidy and was very spacious. You even get BBC and ITV on the TV! However you got separate twin beds that spoilt the romance of the hotel! However if you have a ground floor/1st floor room you do get noise from upstairs, such as high heels clinking and furniture being moved! The food was mostly very nice. You get a very big choice of breakfast items to choose from; such as cereals, continental meats and cheeses, cooked foods and yogurts. Also there is a chef that can cook you fresh eggs and omelettes to your personal taste! Lunch/Dinner was also very good with fresh cooked meats such as chicken, pork and veal. The only downside was the dessert selection as the cream cakes had awful tasting synthetic cream! Nevertheless the rice pudding was not to be missed! Also the themed evenings were very few and far between! Evening entertainment was excellent and can vary from stunt shows to fantastic tribute acts. The location is not a problem either. It is only a 15-20 min walk to the shops/beach and keeps you nicely tucked away from the dodgy street traders that always hassle you down the seafront! The pool is very nice and clean. There is a bar with self-service drinks to save queues and you also can get free Wi-Fi by the bar (and the lobby) to catch up on the internet! Also there are plenty of sunloungers. We used our eyes to find some unused ones stacked up rather than expect them to be placed for you! The only gripes we have with the Hotel was the entertainment being indoors! Other hotels tend to make use of the glorious weather outside by having it near the pool. The all-inclusive could have included free crisps/food from the bar like some other hotels! Also you had to surrender your wristband at 12pm on check out day (even if you didn’t arrive until 10pm the week before!). However if you ask reception they will give you a lunch voucher, rather than pay the €7 each to keep your wristband. On the whole I would recommend the Marylanza and we both had a very enjoyable stay! One final note the German girl who did the hotel entertainment was absolutely fantastic as she did everything from morning to night! We hope the hotel management acknowledge the fantastic work that she does for all the guests!

Room Tip: Overlooking the golf course and Mount Teide
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Someone who enjoyed the evening meal, I am not alone in this... We are looking into the desserts, it seems that we have not found the adequate selection for our British customers,
for they are mainly the ones who mention it. Suggestions are welcome!
bournemouth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in September, so have not long returned. It was a good start as we were 'upgraded' to a better room and I have to say the view over the golf course was probably the most positive thing we can say about the hotel! However, although the reception area is immaculately clean we wouldnt say the same of the Pool area. I just wouldnt eat any of the food in the Pool Bar as there were birds crawling all over it, the general poolside areas just were not clean and the little sun lounger tables were disgustingly filthy! As for the sun loungers we didnt have any problems getting one however I sat on one which was in such bad condition the material gave way resulting in me getting a very nasty cut on my leg. I have still not been offered an apology from the hotel and I was never offered first aid even after I complained to the hotel manager. It totally spoiled my holiday. I must point out that I weigh in at 7.5 stone so if they cant take my weight then most of the adults round the pool were in danger of the same thing happening! Our biggest tip of all would be dont order room service, all we can say is the food quality was only worthy of the bin and for that pleasure it cost 30 euros!
So, 2 weeks after my holiday I have a lovely tan as the weather in Tenerife is always great this time of year however I also now have a scar on my leg which will probably never go away. We will never go back and mainly for one reason: lack of duty of care!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
This lady came to me complaining about this cut in her leg (which I never saw) and that she had not been offered any first aid. I offered all my help and asked if she needed anything (she refused saying that she had already cleaned and cured the cut in her room). I went up to the pool with her to see the broken sunbed, apologised and made sure that it was removed. I explained to her that we had encountered problems in some of the new sunbeds which resulted in them not being especially nice to look at, but should not mean any risk for our guests. While this issue is being sorted out with the supplier, I agreed that any sunbed meaning a safety issue should be removed immediately. I also asked her not to hesitate to contact me directly for anything that she may need throughout her stay. I am not proud of this situation, but the description of the events is quite different from the actual happenings.
hgggyg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stopped in the marylanza 20-27sept. Check in was a joke and as we were kept waiting for so long the restaurant had closed ,so nothing to eat,which has never happened to us in nearly 30 holidays to hotels of this standard.After checking in,we asked if we could book into the speciality restaurant but were told no,its booked up for the week!! We then asked for a safe key,to be told there was a charge of 18 euros,which we felt we had to pay for insurance purposes. That is scandalous and the hotel should be ashamed. We then went out into the town for a meal as we hadnt eaten since leaving home . Room was spacious and clean but you need to take your own tea coffee as these are not provided in the rooms.You have to be up early for sunbeds and they are packed too tightly together for comfort. Breakfast was nice,snackbar is tasteless cheap food ,yes there is stil a problem with birds and bird droppings in that area,and the evening restaurant was so-so. In fact ,we ate out 4 times,which we have never had to do before. I did point out discreetly to a waiter one morning that a cat had left a pile of excrement on a seat in the restaurant,but i did realise that as we were first in,the cat must have slept in there. The maid came one evening at 5pm to clean the room which we found bizarre,although they did look harrassed.There is only the lobby bar open in the evenings, not enough seats and boring lounge music to listen to, no atmosphere . No where to sit outside and have a drink without getting your drinks from the lobby bar downstairs and carrying them upstairs to the pool area.On checking out,the all inclusive bands were cut off at 12 midday,with the option to purchase an extension for 7 euros each ! why? we didnt get a drink,snack,or meal on our first day. again,ive never seen this before anywhere and its blatant profiteering.This hotel looks good in the brochure,but doesnt compare to any we have been to,and there are far better hotels at a cheaper price,as we spent £200 on meals out during the week.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
The situation of missing dinner on arrival due to the check-in procedure having finished once the restaurant is closed has been mentioned a couple of times lately. Obviously when there is only one or two check-ins and it is almost closing time the procedure is quite simple, asking guests to go directly to dinner and informing the restaurant staff about the board of each guest (which may be quickly verified just with the client's name on the arrival list), so that they know if they are entitled to that meal and whether their drinks are included or not. Wit group arrivals it is not possible to know the board and conditions until check-in is made. Anyway this seems to be quite a common issue and needs attention, so we are looking for a way to properly combine the check-in requirements with our guests' convenience. While we have not made any major changes in our restaurant or food lately, it seems that many guests are feeling the need to dine out as their expectations are not being fulfilled. Even though I have mentioned many times that I personally find our food to be at a very good level, we will obviously have a look into this and study any necessary improvements. As for the cleaning of the rooms each day is organized differently, depending on the amount and time of arrivals and departures. The maids are allocated a specific range of rooms daily and have to distribute the work within their 8 hours of shift, so obvioiusly not all the rooms can be cleaned in the morning. Anyway 5 p.m. is not a usual time in our hotel, so this must have been an exceptional situation.

Been to Marylanza Suites & Spa? Share your experiences!