“This hotel is horrendous!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ocean Ponderosa

You added Hotel Ocean Ponderosa to your Saves list
Hotel Ocean Ponderosa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Venezuela s/n, 38660 Playa de las Americas, Tenerife, Spain   |
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“This hotel is horrendous!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

On arriving at Hotel Ponderosa we asked if our room had been upgraded including a double bed as we had paid an extra £20 to do so. We were informed by the receptionist (I believe her name was Patricia) that it had not and was not on her paperwork to do so. She said we could have a look at the room first before making a decision on what we did. We had a look and it was awful. It was certainly not an upgrade and the floor was flooded. We told her this was not acceptable and she said it was not their problem and we need to contact our travel company. As I went to phone them the receptionist said she had found a room with a double bed for us. We tried contacting our travel agent but were unable to get through so we had to accept the room however we have many complaints. Below is a list:
• Firstly our toilet was broken and although a maintenance man came to have a look, we spent 10 days with the toilet making a constant noise. I was not able to sleep.
• Secondly the bath was not useable. The ceramic was coming up on the bottom so you could not sit in it.
• The room was unclean and when a cleaner came in, the floor was mopped but not swept so was still filthy. Curtains were filthy and also the plastic lining which can be easily wiped so why wasn’t it!
• The maintenance was poor. Paint all over the lights and light switches and there was a Tv stand attached to the wall but the Tv was on a table so it was not in use. As we opened the patio doors we smacked our heads on the Tv stand on the wall. On one day we had yellow water. We were not informed of this as when we complained, we were told it was something the maintenance guys was doing. This was not acceptable!
• On 2 occasions we were woken up at 8.15am with the cleaner dragging the furniture across the room next door. When asking the receptionist (Tamara) why this was being done so early I was accused of lying. She later apologised as she had found out that I was correct and a cleaner had been in the room however they shouldn't be until 9.30am! Tamara was the only helpful member of staff.
• There was a note at reception stating you could put a towel on a sun bed from 9.30am to reserve it. This meant that people were putting towels down and then going out for the day! Those people who were in the hotel all day could not use the sun beds. We were then unable to get a sun bed around the pool. At only 1 point did we manage to sit by the pool in 10 days!
• The food was hideous! The fish was swimming in water, the burgers and sausages not cooked properly and the chips were dry. It was the same food most days and sometimes the lunchtime sausages were cut up and put in the dinner! The bananas were old and brown and the desserts never changed. The only thing fresh was the salad. My partner found a hair in his food…..! At one point there was no cutlery and I had to wait 10 minutes to get a fork. By the time I got one my food was cold! The tables were dirty and the waitress was not clearing the tables. On one occasion there was not a clean table for us to sit at. We also had ants crawling over our table!! Both myself and my partner had bad stomachs on 2 occasions from the food.
• The staff were rude and miserable! The waitress had a face like thunder and was not helpful at all. She also kept giving me drinks without any alcohol and claiming there was alcohol in it!
• A family arrived at the hotel and were also very unhappy with the staff and the hotel and were given a room that had not been cleaned. As they were on our floor they showed us the room and it was horrendous. Cigarette butts everywhere, bins not emptied, bedding everywhere etc When talking to the family in reception a member of staff said to me ‘Who invited you to the party’!!!!!!! Very rude.
• We arrived on a wed and the entertainment was a parrot! Very boring. The Thursday was an Eagle! Even more boring and then there was a dance act on Sunday however no entertainment on Friday, Saturday or Tuesday. The dance show was let down by the hotel speaker blowing during the show so we could not hear the music and also the lights were left on so there was no atmosphere. I believe there was karaoke on a Monday but we did not attend this. I cannot believe that a hotel of this size could not have decent entertainment every night.

We were so disappointed with the hotel and it did honestly ruin our holiday. We had to go out every night and eat out which meant we spent over double the amount we should have spent as it was meant to be all inclusive.
We recommend you go somewhere else!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The first thing that i have to mention is the food it is pure grool i have never had food that discusting in front of me before survived on salad n rice all week. 99% of the staff were rude and un helpful theres one spanish girl behind the bar that cracks a smile every now and then but thats about it. Rooms were ok nothing special bathroom was tatty cracked tiles useless shower head. Pool area was full of cig butts n empty drink cup blowing about in the wind toilets in the bar were discusting stunk like a bus station w/c. Do youself a favour n go else where.

• Stayed September 2013
Mnchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Just got back from a two week holiday here with my boyfriend . The food was poor, nothing is labeled up so it could be anything. At dinner time it's impossible to get a drink at the bar because only one person works at a time. If u want adrink after 11pm you have to pay regardless if ur all incl. The area itself is great , 5 mins from siam park and 5 mins from the strip and the beach. The service in the hotel was ok , we asked for extra pillows and got them (2 days later). No entertainment for 3 days out if 7 and if u want extra toilet roll u have to ask. And no air con 6/10

dunfermline
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

had a fantastic time at this hotel food was ok many free nights at the bar room was nice cleaned every other day for what i paid it was a bargain made a few good friends great location for the beach and night life we went fully inclusive would def go back to this hotel

Christchurch, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

after reading reviews and staying one night a while ago. I was really worried about staying here,,,,, but it was better than I expected, we had a 1 bed apartment on the ground floor overlooking the rear pool ,,which was quieter and away from the bar area and although it was rather ""old fashioned "" in décor it was clean with lovely clean sheets, says its a self catering apt BUT there was only a kettle!!!!! and a couple of pans,very little cutlery or crockery so you really need to be all inclusive or plan to eat out, cant coment on food as we didn't eat in ,also cant comment on the bar as we didn't drink in !!!! so many other cheap places all around. I have to say that I personally found the staff very helpful and polite although other reviews said otherwise !!!!. I would stay again

Room Tip: rooms that are at the back !!!! ie near the main road and bus station are quieter as you cant hear...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I found this to be a ok hotel for the price we paid for two weeks all inclusive. Transfer to the hotel from the south airport was ok though we found out that a taxi is only €25 so it would of been cheaper. This hotel is situated in a great location, you are a 5 min walk from Siam park and 10 min from aqua park it's a short walk to a shopping center from the back gate and from the front only 8 min to the sea front and the beeches. You can easily walk to the markets on a Thursday and Saturday though a bus trip is only €5 for a family of four and again that is straight out the back of the hotel 2 min away. Be carfeful not to get ripped off as they will try and tell you anything. You can walk from the sea front both ways and both are as beautiful as each other the only problem is getting pulled by every one who wants you to eat in their restaurant or buy their excursion. I do recommend the boat trip though 5 hrs its great very relaxing and fun swimming in the bay. Buy your own sun cream before going as its expensive out their. The food takes a bit of a knock from people though we found it great!! three full meals a day, salad and soup on offer every lunch and dinner with fresh bread a choice of five or six mains and four puddings. It was always though chicken, pork and fish dish - pasta, chips, and rice cooked a different way each meal time. I felt some people were to scared to try stuff and stuck to the French fries every meal. Some of the meals were very very good on a Sunday it's pizza and mussel paella these are very nice the mussels are lovely. The room well basic, no air con hot at night. Basic, kettle in room so take tea and coffee! As its expensive in the supermarkets you have to pay a deposit to get things like a hair dryer or fan. Pay a fee €25 per week for wifi and the safe. The room was cleaned every other day towels you need to put in the bath to get them changed but for the amount of time you spend in your room it was fine!!! The bar could do with permanent staffing but the hotel makes the staff cover a few jobs so at night they are busy covering the restaurant and it takes a little time to get served! Patience people you can see they are busy!!! The hotel offers two pools one next to the bar but the one up the top best suited for kids as its a bit deeper for them to jump in (1.9m). Clean, very usable also offers pool tables, table tennis table, basket ball pitch and 4 a side soccer pitch. The pool sun beds are busy and people put towels on before 930 then dont use them till 4 the hotel have a no reserve policy so you can take the towels off amd leave them in reception if you are staying and want to use the pool. We found there was a lot of groups using this place. stag partys etc. though they went out at 2100 and then didn't get up till 2 so it was pretty quite for us then. Over all the staff here are great, always working very very hard. The hotel is in a good spot, the staff are really nice and helpful the hotel is basic and cheap. I will stay again!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for a week only back 2nights I have never been so glad to be home and in a clean bed we on a holiday to party and to chill out. Tenerife was lovely but this hotel was a full let down the food was awful never seen as bad in my life I'm not really picky but this was bad you just couldn't eat it. So we ended up eating out every night and spending double the money but I didn't even mind because there was noway I was eating that food so that's not all the rooms where like sweat boxes had to go buy a fan the rooms where OKAY the staff at the bar were so cheeky the small skinny man don't no his name but he was so cheeky and rude the drinks where like water cocktails more like water just awful please do not stay here PLEASE.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Ocean Ponderosa? Share your experiences!