“nice hotel, worth it's money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Apartamentos Oro Blanco

You added Apartamentos Oro Blanco to your Saves list
Apartamentos Oro Blanco
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Arquitecto Gomez Cuesta 12, 38640 Playa de las Americas, Tenerife, Spain   |
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
“nice hotel, worth it's money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Hotel is very nice, location is close to all the beaches.
Wi-Fi free only on reception area.
Small bugs exist indeed but they are very small and not annoyable at all.
Party places are also nearby.
The hotel worth it's price IMO.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Finnish first
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I am 1 of a group of divers that go to different locations every year. We had stayed last year at the south part of Tenerife so we decided this year to stay at Playa Los Americas for a change.
We read up all that we can, and gather as much information and discuss this amongst ourselves. Apart from the odd 1 bad review, the Oro Blanco was very attractive. We were only looking at using the hotel as a base to rest, but we were quite taken back by the cleanliness of the hotel, No bugs or ants, Helpfulness of the staff if you have any questions,The cleaners even wash the dishes that we would leave, amenities in the hotel. We actually went diving one day and left the safe open. The cleaners had been in and done their duties and not touched a thing. Whether the open safe was noticed or not we don't know, but the contents were as we left them.
Our room was at the front of the hotel above the reception entrance. If anyone came in making any noise they were accosted straight away by the reception. if there was any noise at night at all they took action to stop it. Our only problem with the room was the traffic noise that had me up every morning at 6am. The rooms are warm at night and i cannot sleep without ventilation, so the door was open all night. The sound of the traffic was my only problem. Not the fault of the hotel.
It is very close to the main hustle and bustle were everything is available. There was even a comment made about ladies of the night who frequent the area if you turn right out of the hotel.
Well in Tenerife it must be legal because there is a property that these girls stay at. But no one is throwing you in through the door, If you pass you may be asked if you require their services, All you have to do is say no and they wont bother you.
The addition i will make is to watch out for pickpockets. they work in three's, The first will approach you holding up both arms to give you a "High Ten", by the time you are giving a high ten the other two are either sides of you touching your pockets to see if you have anything to dip for. I was straggling behind the group when this happened to me. I felt them touching my pockets. I told them that my pockets were empty and to [--] O**. They did immediately because they didn't want the attention. So as we were advised. "Just go out with the money you will need to last you for the night". Also in the town are narrow back lanes that go between the hotels. We read not to use them because they may be frequented by thugs who are out to mug you. We didn't see any thugs. But then we stayed to the roads at night. These back lanes or ally-ways are fine to use during the day. and if you just want to go to a supermarket they can save you a lot of time. If there is any truth in the review we saw we don't know. But we didn't take the chance anyway.
The Oro Blanco is very close to the beach and a 15 min walk takes you into Playa Los Christiano's were there are many fine restaurants especially if you like paella, There is a place not far from the main square. There is also an abundance of wine, tapas ,Karaoke bars, more than you can shake a stick at.
There are a number or dive centers in los American's. We went with Moana dive center, located at the harbor about half a mile away. We arranged this when we booked the holiday.
They are also very helpful and they picked us up every morning and brought us back when we had finished diving.
So 8 of us stayed in the Oro Blanco, and 8 of us fully enjoyed our stay with them.
Just as a last point. They didn't complain to us when we had our washed diving equipment draped all over their balcony's to dry all day, which looks a sight from outside.
Thank you very much.
Steve

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Preston brook
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Best part of our stay was the staff and value for the holiday here.
Location is fine with a few minutes walk to the nearby restaurants and another 5 to the beach.
There is a taxi rank 2 minutes away on the main road into the area, that however does lead to some road noise if you are in that part of the hotel.
We had to complain about the residents in the adjacent rooms who I can only describe as uncivilised and selfish. I ended up complaining at 5am to reception about the noise and they sent up security to deal with it as I would expect. A few minutes later, no change but the desk clerk came up and removed there room card telling them they were getting complaints from others and they were going to be kicked out. ( Not a hotel issue just the idiots that were booked in)
Hotel offered us another room the next day which we took overlooking the pool and had a partial sea view...result!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are opposite side to the main traffic noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Gateshead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have just returned home a week early due to the terrible experience my husband and I had at the hands of the Oro Blanco.

On our arrival we were informed that we had to pay a 60 euro room deposit which would be refunded at the end of our stay if they considered us to have 'played by their rules' for example keeping the noise down etc. Well we weren't very happy about this chunk to be handed over on day one of our holiday but we paid it as we realised there was no choice.

You can imagine my surprise when two days later I happened to be in reception when some other guests were checking in and were not asked to pay the deposit. I approached the man on reception and asked him why not all guests were having to pay the deposit and just received a tirde of cheek from him. Firstly he claimed that depending on which travel company you book through, they may pay room insurance for you (a blatant lie, and the guests that arrived had travelled with the same company as us anyway...) so next he said it was because the guests had stayed there before but then finally he decided on saying that he could pick and choose who he decided had to pay. I explained that as a 30 year old couple I failed to see how we posed as any sort of threat to the serenity of the hotel but he responded with a vulgar comment about bedroom activity and how if we were to break the bed we would pay for it. I felt absolutely disgusted by him. He also told me that 60 euro is nothing...well it is when you are on a budget holiday which lets face it, is exactly what Oro Blanco is. He also said that if we wanted better treatment we should pay more for our holiday, I'm sure future guests should all be interested in this particular point...if they don't want our business there are certainly plenty other places to stay in Playa. With that attitude I feel all holiday makers should be boycotting the place.

Well, next up ...the following day we returned to our room after being out the whole day to find the maid had left our front door open. We could have been robbed, our room could have been trashed...I couldn't believe it. I went to reception and spoke to a different man this time. I expected at least an apology but nothing...he said well it was obviously a mistake. Well I'm sure it was a mistake but to be so careless is just unbelieveable. Safe to say we didn't let her back into our room again.

Other little bits and pieces that added to our discomfort...the beds are rock hard and so uncomfortable to sleep on...after the first night we had to ask to have one of the beds changed (we had two single beds) as the mattress had been put on plastic legs which weren't strong enough to support a person and one leg was shorter than the other 3, to their one piece of credit they did actually rectify this. The drains in the night make so much noise that sometimes it was like sleeping on an oil rig. The shower would run cold after ten minutes so only one of us would get a warm shower and the person to go second would have to have a cold shower. The plugholes in the bathroom also gave off an awful smell.

The noise from other guests was absolutely horrendous, which is ironic considering we had to pay the 60 euro to 'play by the rules' yet we were kept awake all night with shouting, screaming and doors banging. I dread to think what it would be like in high season.

The walkway from the hotel is as bad as people have said (dubbing it stabbers alley) I would never have walked around alone, and we did as reported by others see a lot of prostitutes hanging around which isn't exactly the happy holiday vibe you are looking for.

On the bright side we ate in some lovely restaurants in the resort centre...I highly recommend Biancos and all of the other restaurants in the Safari Centre. So I definitely recommend Tenerife (although make sure you have plenty spending money as it is not cheap!) but avoid the Oro Blanco at all costs...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We came here for a week and didn't want to spend too much. I must say it was better than I expected.

We had a 1 bedroomed apartment that overlooked the pool as well as having a sea view, Apartment clean and adequately equipped. Maid service good, linen changed once and towels changed twice. We had problems with ants one night but once pointed out it was sorted. Had a nice flat screen TV with plenty of English channels (something you don't often get in a 4 star). As there is no air conditioning it does get warm so needed to sleep with the patio doors open.

Good sized pool although it did get busy towards the end of our stay. There is also a terraced area which is a little quieter. Plenty of sun loungers wherever you may want to be (you can get good sunshine in either area). Didn't use the pool bar so can't comment.

Reception staff helpful. Managed to pay a little extra (30 euro) to keep our room due to an evening flight but shower rooms and luggage room is available if you're not able to keep your room.

Las Americas isn't all about Veronica's, so don't be put off. Lots of nice restaurants and bars along the front. If you want a good steak try Tony Roma's. It is only a 10 minute stroll to reach the beach.

We hired a car from the agent beside the Apartment and made our own way to Mt Teide and Loro Parque which meant we had non of the restrictions a coach tour can give you.

Would definitely go back but like this time a little out of the main season as I imagine it would be busy outside of this time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed at the Oro Blanco for the third time this September. Excellent holiday again. Reception staff were friendly and welcoming and very helpful. Rooms have everything required and are clean and well maintained. The pool area is always clean and the pool warm (once your in!!!) The location is perfect for restaurants, siam and veronicas. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed September 2013
Celbridge, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Its nothing amazing but stayed here with 2 of my friend in a one bed apartment. very surprised of the quality for what we paid. was impressed. first couple of nights was a bit noisey but once we complained to reception that was sorted. they have a no noise policy and you are warned of this when you get there. was great for us as we just wanted a relaxing holiday. one day while we were at the pool a big group of lads arrived making a load of noise, obviously just off the plane. again management were right down to tell them off and we didn't hear anything from them for the rest of the holidays. was a mixture of families, groups and couples. a good all rounder. we used to walk down to the futher end of playa las americas every day though as not too much going on around apartments. took 10-15 mintues was nice walk. loads of shops and restaurants and the nicer beaches. get to beaches early during summer as they beds fill up quick. seen some bad reviews here about ants and loads of gangs, but from my experience that wasn't the case. you should know what to expect...afterall it is Tenerife.

Room Tip: you always think pool niew is best, but not in this case. would be realyl loud if you got this. we h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Apartamentos Oro Blanco? Share your experiences!