“great food and great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Modern British Restaurant & Steak House

Empire Modern British Restaurant & Steak House
C.C. Safari Center | Avenida de las Americas, Playa de las Americas, Tenerife, Spain
+34 922 78 99 71
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dublin, Ireland
“great food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My family of two adults and three children 9, 9 and 12 had a great night
food varied and top quality
good wine selection and a magic show at the table
will definitely visit again
thanks for a great night

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

england
“Another gem in the ventures group restaurant chain!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Went here on the first night of our holiday 30th Jan after reading about the latest addition to the restaurant chain. Had already studied the menu in the UK prior to arrival, we both chose the Beef Wellington. We ordered it with 3x cooked chiips and bearnaise sauce. What an absolutely amazing meal. My partner had never tried beef wellington and he was not disappointed. Whilst this is not a cheap restaurant, the prices reflect what you would pay in the UK for such a quality meal. 2 main courses with a bottle of wine came to 80 euros but well worth it.
As we enjoyed the meal so much, we came back here on our last night. Once again I had the beef wellington and my partner had the T-bone steak. We also tried the chicken livers to start which were amazing! To make things even better, we had a 15% off voucher this time which the Thai gave us the previous night.
If you enoy a good steak in a relaxing environment, check this place out! Outdoor seating is great as there are patio heaters to keep off the chill.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
north west england
“You can easily do much better than here.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

In the usual course of events, “British food” is the last thing I want to eat when I’m in another country. So, I ask myself, why are we eating in somewhere that advertises itself as doing British pub food. Well, it’s a good question. And one to which I don’t have a ready answer, except to say, I’d not be in a rush to go back.

It’s the latest addition to the Venture Restaurants group at the Safari centre, along with Bianco, the Thai place and the Teppanyaki. It occupies the space previously used by the Gran Reserva which has moved to the other side, replacing the now defunct Greek restaurant. The menu is very much along the lines of what you might expect in a good dining pub or, indeed, a chain pub like Beefeater. However, unlike the good dining pubs you might know, the menu at Empire reads much better than the food eats.

There was a ham hock terrine – something that’s almost a given these days in places like this. But here, it was woefully under flavoured and under seasoned. Packed full of scaggy fatty meat and far too much gelatine, this was not nice to eat. A similar disappointment was with the chicken livers, which were served in one of those deep bowls which are impossible to eat from unless you had a spoon. I played “hunt the liver” and did find a couple of bits in amongst the strips of bacon and onion. They were lurking there in the lake of brown gloop that was, literally, impossible to eat without a spoon. Not that you’d really want to eat much of it. Best that can be said, is that the toast was very nice.

Being a good Northern lad, I was immediately tempted by the pie section of the menu. I’ll have a try at the steamed oxtail and ale pudding and it was not a bad choice. The beefy filling was delicious but the suet pastry was overly thick and, in consequence, a bit undercooked and claggy. Apart from the base which was unpleasantly crispy – possibly it had been sat on a hot tray while it was reheated in the oven. It came with what was described as a bubble & squeak rosti – but simply wasn’t. This was just a little dish of shredded cabbage and potato. It wasn’t even bubble & squeak, let alone a rosti.

Across the table, a burger was the best of the four plates of food we ate. They’ll cook it to medium or well done at your request. That’ll be well done then please – we’ve read “Fast Food Nation”, thanks very much. It’s a good size, tasty and thick and served on a brioche bun, which unlike the buns from the chains managed to hold its shape until the end. It also usually comes with a slice of foie gras but we asked for that to be left off. There were good chips – very good chips – and a homemade tomato ketchup that was nice and zingy.

We’re not big on desserts and this was certainly a place where we felt we could pass on them without losing out on the experience.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lund, Sweden
“Great food, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Best dining experience during my stay. Ordered a vegetarian dish by misstake but they canceled my order without any discussion so that I could have the dish I wanted. The beef was perfectly cooked and the portion size was generous. The rubharb crumble was also very tasty.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“WOW WOW!!! Amazing food and staff xx”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We were lucky enough to find this diamond of a restaurant on our first night in Tenerife and because we enjoyed it so much, we booked for New Years Eve and what a night we had!!!! The food was top quality, the presentation was marvellous and the staff was outstanding, nothing was too much trouble and very attentive!!!! This restaurant is a jewel in Tenerife's crown and everyone must pay it a visit, the best steak, sides and sauces I've every tasted, through the week we were in Tenerife we visited Empire 4 times and it was the same quality every night, we couldn't get enough of it!!!! Top class restaurant!!!

• Visited January 2013