“"There is truth in some of the bad reviews" not awful but also not as great as some deluded people are posting.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Spring Hotel Bitacora

Save Saved
You added Spring Hotel Bitacora to your Saves list
Spring Hotel Bitacora
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ California, 1, 38660 Playa de las Americas, Tenerife, Spain   |
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had a good time on the whole.stayed for a week mid August 2013.
It is what it is and ill give as honest account as I saw it.
If your a complete snob don't go here.
We had a superior pool view room on third floor near the lifts.no noise from lifts as they are so slow most people use the stairs.
We were above the bar area which can be noisy but didn't bother us as we sleep well if you don't get a room on a higher floor or take ear plugs.
On arrival the room wasn't ready that does annoy me.
We had lunch then room was ready at 2pm.
Also no porter to take your cases to your room I think they have cut back on staff here.that didn't bother us as we are fit and didn't have to engage in the tipping stakes with a porter hovering.
The room itself was clean and tidy it looked liked it had had a refurb.
No double unless you take the sofa bed as a double.
My 4 year old daughter had the sofa bed.
The safe was free to people in these rooms (you get nothing for free I'm sure I paid for it somewhere).
Silly thing is you try and get it to work following the instructions and after wasting 15 mins trying give up.
Rang reception to say it isn't working and they tell us we need to come back down to get our keys activated to operate it.why didn't they activate it on check in? Stupid.
Balcony good size with towell rails.
Take your own hair dryer they are crap.and I mean crap.
Loads of women I saw with wet mops of hair at dinner.
Breakfast was good and on a par with most all incs we've been to before.
Lunch very average and samey.too much tuna and pork.
Dinner was ok but again variety lacking.
We stayed a week ate out twice in the evening but had exactly the same dinner in hotel twice that week.
The food they serve is good food just not enough choice and they need longer periods between putting the same food out again.
Drinks quality is good I have to say.can get busy at the bar.
Staff graft hard I just think there isn't enough of them.
As other reviewers pointed out you do have to go round with a room card as well as wear a wristband.you get used to it but its a stupid system don't think they have grasped all inclusive properly yet.it feels like their logging everything you have almost checking up on you.
Also all inclusive ends noon on departure day.
Disgraceful if you have a night flight!! It didn't affect us but would of bugged me if I had.Thomson and Thomas cook need to sort this with hotel.i have heard of this before but most all ins you use facilities till your transfer coach picks you up.
Shame on you bitacora! Another feeling like they are scrimping on things.
Location is excellent.good shops and restaurants in area.a 10 to 15 min walk to Veronica's in las Americas where the clubbing is.the walk along the seafront at night is pleasant.beaches average.
Yes there is the early morning towell charge.
I'd read about this so I set my alarm for 05:50 to see on first day.
I peared out of the balcony it was dark and thought nah it's a wind up who'd go out in the dark for a sunbed and went back to bed leaving door slightly open.i woke up to hear sunbeds being shifted around I looked out and it was like a sea of ants charging for sunbeds.i went down shortly after and managed to get a few beds ok.if you want poolside of main pool you have to be up early.the next day I went down to reception at 06:20 and people were hovering around the sliding door that is opened by the reception guy at 06:30.
When it is opened it's a cattle charge to get a sunbed.
I was actually embarrassed doing it you could sense the tension in some people I had a snigger to myself.
No Germans to blame here as there aren't many at the hotel.
Lets get this straight though,I did the cattle charge 4 out of 6 days but on the 2 I didn't I still got a bed ok.be down by 07:30-08:00 and you'll be ok.maybe not poolside but you'll get one.
Guests were mainly british Spanish a few Dutch and a couple of Eastern Europeans.
Animation team were friendly good with kids.didnt push anyone to do things if they didn't want too.the mini disco was good my daughter loved it.
I thought evening entertainment was poor to be honest had a lot better elsewhere previously.didnt bother us as we like to get out in evening and as I said location was great for that.
My biggest complaint of this hotel was the snack bar area and the toilets in this location.
The toilets stank of p*ss (gents) every time I used them.i never saw a cleaner in them once or a rota board to indicate they had been done.3 days the right hand side urinal was full up with p*ss as someone appeared to have chucked up in it but the blockage hadn't been sorted.3 days the hand dryer didnt work either.my wife said the women's wasn't much better and other guests said I quote 'disgusting'.
Have they cut back here too?
Also the tables in the snack bar were time and time again left with empty cups plates etc on them.food on floor resulting in birds coming in for scraps landing on Chairs and tables.honestly I sat with the wife and daughter one day and i said look there is waste on every table waiting to be cleared away.dont get me wrong the snack food is ok the bar staff are quick and efficient.but they need a member of staff clearing away during the food service wiping tables.it is cleared up after but while your eating the area is a shi*hole.
I saw who appeared to be a manager sitting there having his coffee one morning observing what's going on and I thought shall I say something to him then thought nah why should I do your job for you.so if your reading this sort it mate for future guests.
Did I have bad time? No.
Would I recommend it? Probably not.
Good location? Yes.
Would I go back? Not at the price we paid.we felt we paid a grand too much.
Would I rate it 4 star? No way! 3 star and a slight plus.
As one reviewer said go with an open mind and you'll have a good stay.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are nicer but get one on a higher floor.can be noisy from bar at night.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bitacora O, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Spring Hotel Bitacora, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Howard

Our apologies for the service received during your stay. It is very important for all the team, to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible. Due to a technical problem with our communication system during your stay, we did not get your room service call. As far as the late check-out, whenever possible, we always try to do our best to provide it. We hope to welcome you again soon

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our Bitacora Hotel on Tripadvisor. Naturally, I am disappointed to learn of you rating your stay so poorly... All of us here at Bitacora are very proud of the number of positive contributions that our guests left for us and I am sorry that you did not feel the same way. Nevertheless I would like to thank you for highlighting the parts that you enjoyed .

We will take note of your complaint into consideration in order to keep improving our service

We appreciate the time dedicated to share your impression of our hotel and apologize once again for the inconveniences you may have experienced

1,625 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We have stay in Bitacora on 3 occasions and there's never been a disappointment. A fancy hotel with friendly staff, lovely food, good entertainment at night and nice rooms. Bitacora is the no 1 hotel located on the beautiful island of Tenerife.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bitacora O, Director de Recepción at Spring Hotel Bitacora, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Cathy

We feel really proud when receive comments as yours.

We always try to provide guests a memorable stay and make their experience in Tenerife unforgetable.

Thank you so much!,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Myself, husband & 2 daughters aged 7 & 10 stayed for 1 week all inclusive at the start if August. I was nervous due to all the bad reviews but am glad to say we were pleasantly surprised & had a brilliant family holiday. The hotel is gorgeous, rooms modern, clean & spacious and the food was amazing. Hotel is in the perfect location, just a short 5 min walk to all the bars, restaurants & supermarkets and quiet at night time. The beach was roughly a 10 min walk away. We honestly could not fault anything about the hotel, food or location. Had an amazing holiday & would definitely return to the Bitacora without hesitation. Be open minded & ignore the negative reviews. Some people must just like a moan & to look for faults rather than just enjoy their holiday. We hope to return next year!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Lisa

We feel really proud when receive comments as yours.

Thank you so much!,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have stayed at the Bitacora twice previously and have always enjoyed our stay. This year was brilliant !!! The food was fantastic, the rooms (we had one of the newly refurbished rooms) were great. The only downside was the sunbeds, the hotel opens the doors to the pool area at 6.30am and if you didn't get down for the doors opening you didn't get sunbeds together. Now I go on holiday to relax, not get up at 6.30am !!! It was quite funny though, once the doors opened there were people running to get their towels down.
Evening entertainment was mainly good and the animation team were excellent, especially Carlos & Pinky.
Oh, and the lifeguards, especially the lady one, thought they were health & safety officers. If they saw you diving into the pool the whistle would blow and they would come & tell you off, if anyone had an inflatable or a ball in the pool the whistle would blow and they would come over & tell you to remove it from the pool. I thought this was a bit over the top, especially when I seen a lifeguard tell a mother and her 2 year old to stop playing with a 3" diameter ball from the pool !!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bitacora O, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Spring Hotel Bitacora, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time in sending us your review of your stay
at the Spring Hotel Bitacora

It is a real pleasure for all Bitacora staff to receive comments as yours. We are very proud to have succedded your expectations.

We hope forward to welcoming you back!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just back from a fantastic 11 nights at Bitacora. Have given 4 stars but almost gave 5. The vast majority of the recent reviews are 4 or 5 ratings and this is well deserved.

I too had read the negative reviews and don’t understand them. Either the hotel has upped its game for the summer or some people feel they were just born to complain. Probably the latter.

Most of the negative comments centre around the renovations, getting a drink and the staff.

Renovations: These have stopped for the summer (bar some plastering) and whilst I do sympathise with anyone that was there earlier in the year and felt disrupted, these comments are not particularly helpful or relevant for the hotel as a whole. You could take any hotel and if there were major renovations going on it would be disruptive but it doesn’t mean the hotel is poor and a low score is misleading. There was a post from one woman I saw that in one sentence was moaning that some parts of the hotel needed updating and then in the next moaned there was work going on! They are replastering the whole outside of the hotel as well as doing the rooms and it is looking very smart.

Drinks: Yes needing your room key to order a drink was odd but it wasn’t really a problem (in a way maybe a good thing as it stopped the kids drinking chocolate milk all day) and you soon got used to it. As this is a mixed (AI and half board) hotel they are paranoid that AI guests will get drinks for others but that’s not unreasonable. The pool bar was fine; queue was a bit long at times but it moved quickly. Drinks in the evening also worked fine. Never had a problem getting a drink at all. Waiters taking orders on wireless devices worked well but you could also go to the bar if you sensed you may have to wait a bit and contrary to other comments they didn’t serve you in plastic glasses; this was only during the day if you were going by the pool. I guess if you are the sort that necks 5 pints an hour then yes maybe you will have an issue but for most normal people once you have a drink the waiter will be round again before you have finished and you can order another with no problems.

Staff: No problems with the staff at all. Bar are reception staff were polite, entertainment staff were totally excellent. All the staff work really hard, seriously don’t see what the issues are.

Some other comments:

Food: Very good. Varied and good quality and never got bored with it. Yes it is a self-serve all you can eat buffet style but seriously what do people expect. They have to cater for 600 (All inclusive!) guests most of whom are families with children. Silver service dining would not work!

Wifi: Contrary to other comments this is not just in the lobby. You got a good signal by the pool, in the pool bar and I also got a good signal in my room on the 6th floor.

Rooms: Speaking of rooms we had a refurbished pool view room and it was great.

Dress code for dinner: I was prepared for this to annoy me but nonetheless took some trousers. However, the gentlemen’s dress code is relaxed for the summer and knee-length shorts are OK so did not need the trousers. They say you still need shoes not sandals but this was not enforced so I just wore sandals.

Entertainment: You will never please everyone all the time but most of the acts were good. Only criticism was the tribute bands (bar the Eagles who did the best part of an hour) only did about 35 mins which was not long enough. Needs to be an hour minimum.

Facilities: Pools were great and clean. Kids area was very good. No inflatables in the main pool is a bit unnecessary. They say it is so the lifeguard can have a view of the pool but the lifeguard spends all their time viewing the water slide landing zone so it wouldn’t really matter. It does mean the shallow pool is not just for kids though as you get older kids and adults floating about!!

Sky sports: Not sure what is going on here. Earlier comments said they had it and it is a channel in the room and in the first week I was sure the cricket was on but when it came to Monday Night Football the channel did not work. Asked if they could put it on in the bar and the barman said no as they wouldn’t pay the subs so did not have it!!

Overall loved this hotel. Would have no issues going back the next time we go to Tenerife.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a pool view. You won't regret it.
Thank you so much for taking the time in sending us your review of your stay
at the Spring Hotel Bitacora

We hope forward to welcoming you back!

Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

just returned from Bitacora, this is the 3rd time we have stayed at this hotel and to be honest first time we've stayed under the ''all inclusive'' banner.

good points - food ok for price, various selection, rooms big and spacy, re-furb ones very nice.
location is also good

bad points.
All inclusive, does not really include a great deal, bar close's at midnight, ice creams very short of selection and to get a drink varies from one waiter to the next.... we have 2 rooms (2 adults in one/ 2 children 14/15 in other) ------ to purchase 4 drinks some-times you needed both room cards, other times just one ----- furthermore you dispite having wrist bands! you still had to show you card --- sun-bed scenario! even worse, i apprecaite theres never enough beds anywhere ,however we were having to get up at 06.30hrs in the morning to secure a bed....
something that you dont appreciate whilst on holiday , an earlier response from the hotel on here was that back in july they were looking into not allowing access to the pool area until 08.00hrs!!!!, ---- not actioned.
Drinks in the evening again a joke!, 1 bar person serving .... be prepared to wait up to 20 minutes for a drink!.
aircon in the reception poor ---- lifts constantly breaking down and some rooms you have to pay for fridge deposit, . others not!
for sure we will not be returning! i'm afraid and will be off back to La Siesta , a far superior hotel

Room Tip: choose high floor , those with children....
Dear Andy

Regards
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at the bitacora hotel at the end of may this year. The hotel was lovely, as were the staff. However the amount of building work that was going on was an absolute nightmare. You could not here yourself talk around the pool area, everywhere you looked you could see a building worker. There were wagons dropping off building material at seven thirty in the morning. Many guests complained at the reception also to the in resort rep, although she was very sympathetic there was little she could do about it so we just had to sit tight and put up with it, or as one guest did paid for his own flight home taking his children with him. (would I stay there again? ) Yes I have booked to go again in January, just hope they have finished the renovation. We first stayed at the bitacora in January 13 liked it so much we booked again for the end of may and took the grandchildren along that time. All in all it is a lovely hotel apart from the disruption of the building work, hope it`s finished in January.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has already been refurbished as the other rooms are a little dated
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bitacora O, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Spring Hotel Bitacora, responded to this review, September 16, 2013

Been to Spring Hotel Bitacora? Share your experiences!