“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sir Anthony

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sir Anthony to your Saves list
Hotel Sir Anthony
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda de las Americas | Playa del Camison, 38660 Playa de las Americas, Tenerife, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have recently returned from the Sir Anthony Hotel, where we spent a week with some friends. Check-in on arrival was very efficient and our friends were immediately upgraded to a superior room with terrace and private plunge pool which was the same as we had booked, so it was a fab start to the holiday. I believe this was possible as the hotel wasn't completely full so very good first impressions. I would certainly recommend paying a little extra for this type of accommodation as it's very well worth it. The staff are so helpful and if you need anything you only have to ask. The rooms are spotless and very spacious. The private plunge pool top terrace is private and we had great views of the hotel's swimming pool, beach and sea beyond -gorgeous. Breakfasts were good with plenty of choice including Cava if you felt in need of some bubbles!! The hotel is a very relaxing sanctuary, well placed and close to numerous bars, restaurants and designer shops. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to others.

Room Tip: I would certainly recommend the superior room with private terrace and plunge pool which are spaciou...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

271 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Weymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We booked this on the recommendation of the travel agent, having never been to Tenerife before. It was our 30th anniversary and we wanted it to be special. I did however, read the reviews here before final booking. It was wonderful. We arrived at the hotel and someone else was booking in, so we were seated in the lounge and offered a drink. A few minutes later we booked in at the small desk with our drink - makes a change from standing in a queue.

The room was just as the pictures showed, spacious, clean and tidy, plenty of towels. The bed was enormous, there was room for us and tons of space in the middle (and we aren't small). It was comfortable to sleep on too. The maid service was great and the bed was made beautifully every day and in the evening remade (or tidied up) where we had messed it up during the day. We were offered clean towels each night as well, with a couple of chocolates too. The room was cleaned each day as was the balcony and the water in the plunge pool was changed once during the week too, I'm sure if we'd asked it would have been done on request.

We had a top room with the roof balcony and plunge pool and probably could have made more use of it, it was a great place to be and not at all claustrophobic as I had feared. The plunge pool was not really suitable for getting into completely, but was great for cooling down by dangling your feet in it while sitting on the side. Several reviews had mentioned that the staircase up to the roof was close to the walls and so one does need to be careful about not skinning your knuckles, but getting up and down was easy enough (although I wouldn't have run it like the maid did). I was concerned it might be very high and give you vertigo, but it didn't - it was fine (as long as you watched your knuckles). We did spend one day by the swimming pool and that was great too plenty of sunbeds for everyone and the pool was a good size for a proper swim.

Other reviewers have mentioned the food and that is the one weak area. Breakfast is waiter service and is a bit hit and miss, a lengthy menu, but slightly rigid in the offer. There were several '3 course' options but you didn't necessarily get what was ordered if you tried to mix and match. Other reviewers had mentioned going to one of the other hotels for the buffet breakfast which is what we did. In the Cleopatra Palace you got the same food (including the freshly squeezed orange juice and cava), but you served yourself. It was feeding a lot of people, which gave it a slight 'Butlins' feel, but it was good food, as much as you wanted and at your own pace. Breakfast was served until 10:30 everyday and 12:30 on Sundays which meant it was a relaxing holiday and you weren't rushed into breakfast when you wanted a lie in.
We had one meal in the restaurant which was nice enough but nothing special. We were glad we hadn't opted for half board - there's plenty of other food options around, but Tenerife is not going to be known for its gastronomy anytime soon.

We had one day where it rained and so spent our time in our room watching the TV which showed BBC1,2 ITV, Channels 4 and 5, 3 news channels and More 4, film 4 and ITV 2+1(!). It meant that you could catch up on the news, watch the Leverson enquiry and 'Homes Under the Hammer'! I quite liked having English TV - I know we were supposed to be away from home, but in between the sun, books, and swimming a bit of TV was quite nice.

Overall, the hotel is an oasis in a typical holiday resort. The views were great, the room was great, we relaxed for the whole week and all the staff were friendly, courteous and helpful, nothing was too much trouble and everything came with as smile. For a late season bit of sun - this was just what was needed and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great (there was an evening event for guests and the trade where the hotel were sh...
Ilkley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We chose this hotel on spec from a Jet 2 package , wanting to do things a little cheaper than trips last year to Maldives and Cape Verde all inclusive.It didn't work because we spent a fortune eating out at night, but none the worse for that and we prefer not being tied to the hotel dining offering.

Sir Anthony manages to achieve the impossible,an oasis of calm in the middle of downtown Playa, with beach and restaurants literally twenty yards from the hotel but when sitting by the pool we felt miles from anywhere.
The staff are unfailingly efficient and friendly, rooms high quality and well maintained and serviced, although like earlier reviewers, we couldn't work out the music system.Tv has UK channels though which is unusual in our experience.We had second floor rooms which are the cheapest but they have everything you need and are very well appointed.There are always loads of poolside seats available so the private balconies/ personal plunge pools elsewhere are nice to have but not necessary.The fact that there is loads of seating doesn't stop some people doing the towel routine to reserve places, or paying the pool man to book their own spots. This is really not necessary, so just come down when you want, there is always space,and high quality, cushioned loungers. There is also a small outside terrace which is pretty much unused but is very comfortable and secluded for reading etc.
My only minor gripe with the hotel is that it plays that sort of spaced out relaxation "music" by the pool and in breakfast. Why? I can hear the wind in the palm trees and the sea crashing on he beach which surely does the trick far better!
All in all though, for a week of pre Winter sun and relaxation, this place ticks all the boxes although it wouldn't work for families or others looking for action and entertainment on site.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I first visited this hotel about 10 years ago and liked it so much that i have returned 7 or 8 times since but after my most recent visit this month, for the first time, it would not be my automatic choice for my next visit to Tenerife. We have stayed at this hotel twice this year, firstly in April when everything was as good as it normally is and again this month when sadly things were not.
Housekeeping standards are usually very high as you would expect for a hotel in this price bracket but during this latest week this was not the case. The rooftop plunge pool area of the room was not swept all week and most days the room balcony itself was unswept. An empty water bottle that had fallen under the table in the room remained there for two days before i picked it up and put it in the bin together with the clumps of dust gathered round the edge of he room. Clearly any floor sweeping and mopping that was taking place was only down the middle of the natural walkways of the room.
Previously the complimentary shampoo etc were replaced everyday to ensure guest always had the full level that the room started out with. Not this time. Nor did there seem to be a great deal of logic as to which items were and were not replaced the upshot being that on more than one occassion i could be seen pursuing the maid's cart down the corridor to obtain omitted items. Admittedly i could have rung housekeeping to have the items delivered as i'd had to do to obtain lounger towels as they too were missing from the room but hanging on the phone or chasing maid's carts, neither is what i expect to be doing in this hotel. On past visits the bathroom area was refreshed during the evening when the bed was turned down as most people would have used it for showering before going out but this only happened a couple of times on this visit and dirty cups were often left unwashed. Individually all these things are relatively minor, we did not experience any of the ant and cockroach problems mentioned in reviews left by occupants of the garden poolside rooms. However taken together they do suggest that standards are not what they were and it would be nice if this could be nipped in the bud, perhaps starting with a check of all rooms to replace ripped chair cushions and the like.
Reception staff have been mentioned by other reviewers and i would agree that the lady on reception does not come across as well as others i have encountered at the hotel in previous years.
Despite all this the hotel still has big plus points such as the views and proximity to good restaurants but it would be nice if it could raise it's game back to it's previous level

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Esteban Sedano C, General Manager at Hotel Sir Anthony, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Mrs elle090,

First of all thank you very much for the time you have invested transmitting us your impressions about your latest stay at the Hotel Sir Anthony and also for trusting us during so many years for your holidays in Tenerife.

It makes us very sad to read your report as our main goal is to give always the highest standards of service to our guests and make them have an unforgettable experience.
I have made a strict monitoring about all the comments you made, especially those about the room cleaning but we have not enough information to know who your housekeeping staff was. We beg you to contact immediately with our reception staff or guest relation staff about any incidences you should have during your stay, even if they are small. However we will continue working hard with the room division management and their team.

Mare Nostrum Resort and Expo Hotels & Resorts are very conscious with the environment and so the amenities at the rooms are replaced when they are empty but we beg you also to call our reception and of course we will do our best to make your wishes come true.
We really hope to have the chance to show you that we maintain the highest standards of quality and welcome you soon again at the Sir Anthony Hotel.

Sincerely yours,
General Manager.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It's hard to find a really nice hotel, where all the action is, in Las Americas. But Sir Anthony ticked the boxes for us. Location was superb being close to the bars and restaurants but also located right on the beach. The pool area is much more private than the sister hotel, Cleopatra, so you didn't get the feeling of stepping over people. We had a junior suite, which was spacious, clean and modern. The bathroom being as big as some hotel rooms I've stayed in?! Staff were all very nice and were happy to make your holiday comfortable etc. (Thanks very much to the life guard for looking after us.) We didn't visit the spa (located in Cleopatra, which is right beside Sir Anthony) but the gym was very nice with modern equipment and loads of room.

So the only CONS I have are... the pressure in the shower isn't great, so if you have long hair it takes a bit longer to get the shampoo out. And more importantly... although they offer a stereo in the room you can't connect your ipod to it because it requires a "special" cable, of which the hotel only has one and they couldn't find it?!? It says it takes a USB cable and I had two of them but neither worked.

Overall... lovely hotel. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We had room 118, which as I said is very nice but from 5-7 every night there is a pianist playing in...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Hotel Sir Anthony, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Mrs Melissa D.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Sir Anthony Hotel with all the community of Tripadvisor.

All your comments are very important for us, as it gives us the chance to improve day by day. Let me explain you the little inconvenience you have mentioned due to our stereos, which are not prepared to be connected to an I-Pod although after your request we asked our computer department to provide us with one, which was quiet difficult as they had to “build” it for you which unfortunately happened to be on the last day of your stay. Sorry for the inconveniences that this might have caused you.

Regarding the water pressure, I have contacted the manager of the Sir Anthony Hotel, who has assured that no issues have been reported although it might happen that due to the coincidence of many guests using the shower within the same time period, a difference in the water pressure might be noticed.

Thank you very much for choosing Sir Anthony Hotel for your holidays in Tenerife we hope to have the chance to welcome you soon again.

Best regards,
General Manager.
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Having just returned from my second visit in the Sir Anthony I can still say that it really is a wonderful Hotel where you can really relax in total privacy.....there were a few children there who were very well behaved but I dont really think its the place to bring them as there is so much more for them to do at the the Med Palace or the Cleopatra in the group of hotels in the Mare Nostrum resort .Its a very small hotel right on the beach but the rooms are lovely and the breakfast is cooked to order and they will cook for you whatever you fancy even though the menu is huge they will go the extra mile.The Housekeeping is super ...they seem to change the towels a couple of times everyday and the sheets at least every other day but you never see them do it!!!The beds are about eight ft in width and the rooms are very modern.The reason I didnt give this hotel five stars is that we requested when booking a ground flloor room with pool access which we didnt get even thougjh half of them were empty for the week.I didnt want to make a fuss as I thought maybe the hotel was full but the next day I realised it wasnt but I had all unpacked and just let it go but I was VERY disappointed!! In fact the only area that was disappointing was one girl at reception .Sandra was her name .She greeted us on arrival by putting her hand up to us indicating that she was on the phone and more or less to dismiss us .Then she switched on the charm while booking us in and ignored us everytime she met us for the rest of the holday and there werent more than twentry rooms occupied all week .There was another girl working there who looked like Sandra but she was so...nice .Oh and Sandra mislaid our voucher too and we were approached on the morning of departure as to whether we had given it to her at all. Good job I knew that I gave it to her on arrival as I am in the B and B business and know how important these things are.Not good enough service or attitude in this five star hotel where everyone else was so great.One other little complaint ...The air con is so....Noisey...some nights it was like a tractor in your ear!!! OVERALL great hotel and will be back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing but I think bottom floor rooms with direct access to pool are best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Hotel Sir Anthony, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Mrs lisireland,

first of all thank you very much for your detailed report about your experience at the Sir Anthony Hotel. Your feedback is very important for us, as it gives us the chance to improve and know where we still have to continue working hard.

In reference to the staff member you mentioned, we will transmit your feedback and impressions about her attention. We are sure that her intention was never to make you feel bad and knowing that you didn’t feel well attended during the check in makes us very sad. Trust me when I say that we will take special care of this.

Regarding all the information reported by you we think you have made your reservation with a tour operator and the request of having a ground floor room was never communicated to us, making it impossible to know by our staff. Our main goal is to make all our guests wishes true, but if we could not give you a ground floor room was certainly because you didn’t tell it on your arrival. However we recommend you to contact us before your arrival, with independence on how you have made your booking, so that we can meet your requests. If it is in our hand we will try to make them come true.

We really hope to have the chance to welcome you soon again and make your stay an unforgettable experience.

Until then please accept our best wishes and warmest regards
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent here 12 days. Nice view and good location. The breakfast (a la carte) was really good. You can choose that you want by menu in many different styles (sport, american, mediterannean and e.t.c.).
Service was good, too.
We had a very good time in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sir Anthony? Share your experiences!