Somehow this place ends up looking much better on the photos than in reality.
First, the annoyances.
Room was advertised as “mountain view” and this was the biggest disappointment about this place. For £130 a night, we got a first floor apartment overlooking a busy street. No option to change that, as we were told. Additionally, we had booked a twin room (I was sharing with a friend), and on arrival it turned out that the 2 beds were less than a foot apart, with no option to move them further apart as there were cupboards fixed permanently to the walls on either side of the bed! Again, nothing could be done about that, and the receptionist admitted that they “get this kind of complaint quite a lot”. Ridiculous! The supposed mountain view probably meant “facing away from the sea” i.e. towards the interior of the island, where you can see the volcano in the far distance (it can be seen from practically any point of the island, so the “mountain view” isn’t really anything that you should base your decision on). Needless to say, sleep quality in a room overlooking a busy street isn't the most amazing.
Also the hotel isn’t beach-front. Another, nicer and more expensive, hotel from the same hotel group has access to the beach.
This is a giant hotel (480 rooms or so, as I was told), in itself part of a larger complex of 3 hotels! There must be close to 1000 rooms in total between them. This is not a bad thing in itself, but something to be aware of. It has got its advantages, such as: every taxi driver will know the place; reception will always be staffed; etc. Then on the other hand, you end up in one of the many identical looking rooms set along long, identical looking hallways. Pool does not have any ocean front views, but is practically surrounded from all sides by the imposed multi-story walls with literally hundreds of balconies overlooking the pool. At times we joked that the whole thing looked like taken out of 1960’s film set in a resort in Cuba..
Breakfast buffet has one of the largest selections that I’ve ever seen in a hotel, continental, English, fruit, everything really. Big plus for me. We didn’t try other meals in the restaurant.
Importantly, the hotel celebrated its 25 years since it was first opened, and the interiors really showed that age. Fake black leather sofas, mirrors everywhere, chandeliers as large as I’ve ever seen (those must have been 15 meters long I thought!). Again, not a bad thing in itself, because everything is maintained quite well, but the interiors are definitely not “chic” or “boutique”. For the price we ended up paying, not having either beach-front or even sea-views, and this kind of interiors, I would have expected more.
To be honest, I didn’t really feel like this was a 4 star hotel at all. Yes there was a nice touch in the form of complimentary glass of champagne on check-in, but the rooms were far from 4 star standard, and then there were these minor things such as signs telling you not to take any food from the breakfast buffet outside of the cafeteria, and in fact having a guy stood there checking if guests are sneaking out with the food – not really 4 star service, assuming that most of your guests are thieves, is it?
On the plus side, the reception staff were always really nice. Also we were allowed to stay in the hotel until 2pm on our check-out day, which was nice. Location is reasonably central within the resort (Los Christianos) but then again, most of the hotels in the town are located close to one another.
Overall, not the best value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The perfect choice for a family vacation, this gorgeous hotel on the Playa de las Americas - the best beach in Southern Tenerife - has the largest, most exciting and safest Kids Club on the island. It is located right next to the best leisure center and shopping area of Tenerife - making it the ideal place for all members of the family to spend an unforgettable holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Venere, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Orbitz and Odigeo so you can book your Mediterranean Palace Hotel (Mare Nostrum Resort) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mediterranean Palace Tenerife
- Mediterranean Palace Hotel Tenerife
- Hotel Mediterranean Palace Tenerife
- Med Palace Tenerife
- Mediterranean Palace Hotel (Mare Nostrum Resort) Tenerife/Playa De Las Americas