“Felt betrayed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Monkey Bar & Grill

Monkey Bar & Grill
Av. Las Americas. C.C. Oasis, local 15 | Avda. de Las Americas. C.C. Oasis., 38640 Playa de las Americas, Tenerife, Spain
0034-922789291
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Monkey Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Grill
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Monkey Bar & Grill is a new modern choncept of a steake house, a step out of the convencional with a exellent wine list and unique in cocktails. A big seleccion of steakes for the most demanding and a most sophisticated kitchen in the market for those who are not eaters of meat, we try to use all senses to transform the style of food and make contemporary creations for our customers tastes. When you arrive you notice that you are part of something special! Under old copper-pergolas, surrounded by furniture of asian design, palms and greenery, the decoration is only a beginning. Monkey Bar & Grill es un nuevo concepto de Asador Moderno, una salida de lo convencional con una magnifica carta de vinos y una cocteleria singular. La gran seleccion de cortes de carne para los mas exigentes y una cocina de mercado mas sofisticada para aquellas personas no tan carnivoras, donde desarrollamos todos los sentidos para transformar la comida en estilo y hacer creaciones contemporaneas teniendo en cuenta los gustos de nuestra clientela.Desde que llegas sabes que formas parte de algo especial! Debajo de unas pergolas de cobre envejecido, rodeado de muebles de diseno asiatico, palmeras y plantas salvajes, la abundancia de la decoracion es solo el principio.
Remich, Luxembourg
“Felt betrayed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were attracted by the quite nice exotic look of the Monkey Bar and by its choice of barbecued meat. However, the overall dinner experience was highly disapointing.

Beside the fact that the quality of the meat was far below expectations, we felt cheated by the staff.

We had a bottle of red wine, but while eating, I had some doubts if it was really the bottle I ordered. So I asked for the wine menu again to check, which was quite easy since they reproduced the labels of the various bottles in the menu. Well, the bottle we got was not the one we had ordered. The wine was ok, so this wouldn't have been a major problem - but they billed the wine we ordered (35 €). When I complained that I was disposed to pay the price of the wine I have got but not willing to pay for a wine that I ordered and didn't get, the answer was: "Yes, but since you have accepted the wine, you have to pay that price." The waitress had even the audacity to pretend that the wine we got was more expensive than the one we had ordered. Hard to check, since the wine we had got was not on the wine menu...

Summary: relatively nice setting, mediocre food, try to rip off clients ... The Monkey Bar has all the major attributes of a tourist trap. Avoid !

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
Cork, Ireland
“Looks great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We liked the look of the place. Cocktails were fab. Waitress was lovely. Hostess wasn't very suited to her job as she was very unhelpful and somebody else used the word snooty and I think that fits. The food was delicious. We ordered satay chicken skewers, duck spring rolls w mango and a pear an d blue cheese salad to start. All delicious. Mains we had maple salmon -my sister loved, duck dim sum -yum and I had the slow roasted Iberian pork. I didn't like mine but I think it was just a poor choice for me. Plenty more to choose from on the menu. I found the wine list extremely expensive €17 for a half bottle of Muga!!! You wouldn't even pay that here! I would go back and have my blue cheese salad for main course! :-)

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
iceland
“Lunch/Dinner/Cocktails”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We ate there first for lunch. My wife had a decent sandwich but mine was very good. Sat once down for cocktails. Their mojitos are horrible but ride the monkey cocktail was good. We ate for dinners once and that was plain bad. THeir salmon was over cooked, tasteless and very overprice. Their soup was also bad. Service was rude.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Trying so hard to be exclusive but veers into being snooty and irritating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have been to Playa de las Americas five times now, and one of the things we notice is that a lot of the restaurants have very similar menus, so we try to get about and try a range of different places. We went to the Monkey Bar the last time we were out two years ago and as soon as we walked in this time (end of March 2013) I remembered why I had a bad feeling about the place. We have young children so were there for about 1800 for dinner, which is early locally. The majority of the tables in the place had reserved signs on them, the tall long dark-haired waitress ignored us for at least 5 minutes and then reluctantly provided a table. No smiles, no welcome. So my immediate impression is that we were an inconvenience and should be very thankful for the opportunity to eat there. This impression was further strengthened when I heard the same host / waitress complaining that a couple beside us had been given a table, sat down and looked at the menu and then left without ordering. She was audibly giving off that she had given them a table etc etc. How dare they pass up on the opportunity to eat in the Monkey Club? Perhaps it's because it costs about twice as much as everywhere else, perhaps it's because the host / waitress made them feel unwelcome. The cocktails were good but expensive. My Argentinian entrecote steak was hard work, very chewy even though it was ordered Medium Rare. I got on with it as best I could as I didn't want to ruin my wife's experience, she enjoyed her burger. I noted that people were being turned away while the majority of the tables remained reserved, and stayed empty. They could have had all these tables filled, meals finished and tables cleared before whoever made the reservation turned up. I suspect they either can't be bothered being busy (bad business) or want to present the image of being exclusive by being unable to provide tables (really bad business, annoying, makes you feel like you are not worthy). Perhaps we didn't fit the model customer that the Monkey Bar is looking for as we had kids (6 and 7 years old) but they do have a kids menu so I expect to be welcomed warmly. I could overlook the snooty poor service and generally a bit too cool attitude if the food was worth it, but it wasn't. It was average at best, and overpriced. Avoid this restaurant. Incidentally the dark-haired waitress did crack a smile as she presented my kids with tiny chocolate eggs along with the bill. Perhaps a last ditch effort to attract a tip. Dream on big girl.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Enjoyed the food, very good hamburger. We especially liked the guitar player. Very well trained staff.

Visited March 2013