“Best restaurant in playa del inglés” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
London
“Best restaurant in playa del inglés”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

It's quite easy to find mediocre food in this part of town, but Rias Bajas would stand out anywhere. Great selection of fresh shellfish - we treated ourselves to some percebes - and all the fresh fish and sauces you could want. Very nice service and pleasant atmosphere even on a Wednesday night.

Visited January 2014

Brighton, UK
“Great food - our best restaurant experience in Gran Canaria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

A really lovely restaurant we first visited two years ago and it was great then. We returned in January 2014 for an equally wonderful experience. It's situated right next door to the Yumbo Centre so easy to find. No views particularly as the restaurant is slightly below ground. But inside are tanks containing live lobsters if you need a distraction!

It's primarily a fish and seafood restaurant of course - so we saw little point in ordering anything else even though a few of the other guests were choosing meat which I'm sure was fine too. Service was wonderful and it was a delight watching the skilful at-table preparation of others' meals and the thoughtful presentation of the dishes. For me, the Hake in a Basque sauce was a taste delight, and a generous portion too.

“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Wow from a food perspective.Really verrrrrryyyyy good sea food. Should be #1 in Gran Canaria.
At the same time, it might not e the restaurant we would have entered if we would not have seen this in the Michelin guide. Everything is very clean but looks a bit crowded. However, don't worry. Entering here is worth every penny.

London, United Kingdom
“Five Star Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I am a little surprised that this restaurant was rated higher. This was the in my too 3 best restaurants in Gran Canaria.
My partner and I went to Wapa Tapa in the Yumbo Centre burnt was told we needed to have a reservation so the Rias Bajas was recommended by one of the waiters.
It was located just outside the centre approximately 200 metres away. It was decorated in mainly white and was very clean and quaint.
We were greeted on entry and it was apparent for the start that we were about receive good service throughout the evening.

I ordered fried squid ( yes, I always seem to be ordering this) but I cannot get enough of this dish.
My partner ordered prosciutto.
So far so good. The squid was cooked well and the prosciutto tasty.
When we had finished the starter one of the waiters came to the table to brush of any food which had fallen on the table. Well he need not had bothered as the food was far too delicious for us to waste even a crumb.
For the main I had monk fish and my partner ordered grilled prawns. The monk fish arrived hot, succulent and delicious. It was served on top of potato slices. I don't even like potatoes.
Well...... I ate all three if them in record timing. The prawns were cooked to perfection without being dry.
We also had cava which was also lovely.
The waiters were attentive without being intrusive, as we have experienced ones that perch on your shoulder throughout your meal and exclaim,"is everything ok?" every 5 minutes. The answer to which should be, "it will be fine if you just left us to eat in peace". Well none of this here. If assistance was needed there was someone near enough to call but we did not feel anyone breathing into our necks as we ate.

The most surprising thing which added to the quality of the service this place offered happened when I returned for the lavatory. As went to sit down one of the waiters got to my chair and pulled it out so I could be seated.
WHO DOES THAT THESE DAYS????
My partner even commented on what a gentleman he was ( quietly to me of course as it put them to shame)
I was so surprised I forgot to say thank you.
Some may feel this restaurant is a little pricey in comparison to most of the others but to be perfectly honest you do get what you pay for.

Great food and service often comes at a price and this is far more preferable than paying less for awful food and bad service delivered with a smile.
On leaving there was someone opening the door for us and I did remark on how good the food was.
Hopefully my partner may have picked up some tips on impressing a lady!!
Highly recommend for a great evening... You won't be disappointed!
HAPPY EATING!!

Brussels, Belgium
“Nice food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Food and service was great. We had mostly sea food and a nice bottle of Albarino. Only one baby high chair available

Visited December 2013