“Good location, terrible front staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rey Carlos

You added Rey Carlos to your Saves list
Rey Carlos
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Avenida de Tirajana 14, 35100 Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
London
“Good location, terrible front staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed here in November 2013 - having been to Gran Canaria several times and wanting somewhere centrally located for the beach and the nightlife.

Despite some of the negative reviews I read beforehand, I decided to give it a go. I arrived around 8pm after a very long day and flight from England. Unfortunately, I had purchased a package holiday and was not aware that the hotel had to be paid for on arrival. This obviously caused concern because to my mind I had already paid for the whole holiday.

So you can imagine my surprise when the receptionist asked for another 600 euros!

Anyway, rather than attempt to resolve this in any way, the exceptionally rude man on the desk was saying there was nothing he could do to help and I would have to use my mobile phone to call the agency etc. Thanks! (Yet, the room was already reserved in my name etc)

To cut a long story short, I managed to get hold of a friend in England who rang the agency who then confirmed that only flight money had been taken, so I was able to pay the man and finally get my keys, put my bags down, use the toilet etc. Considering i'd not even seen the room, I thought his complete insistence on full upfront payment was a little bold to say the least.

The room was actually really nice and clean. The balcony looked onto a pool....and then the main road, but I was quite high up so not too noisy. The breakfast, however, left a hell of a lot to be desired and getting there after the first hour = scraps. It just generally seemed like a hotch-potch of fried 'stuff'.

I found, too, that reception staff often needed to be prodded into activity. I lost count of the times I had to shout to get them out of the office. Sometimes I thought I should hop over the counter and help myself.

I can't really comment on the entertainment side of things as I more or less used the hotel only to store my things and get sleep. It sounded like people were having fun though and the music seemed pitched toward an older crowd.

If good service isn't a priority you, then I can recommend this hotel on the basis of location and neighbouring facilities. (Spar directly across road for example) but, believe me, you can do a lot better for less money in Playa del ingles.

Room Tip: If you are facing the road, pick a room higher up to reduce noise,
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Booked into Rey Carlos.
Arrived and surly elder man on reception was unhelpful.
Took my passports and handed me blank piece of paper to sign made out in Spanish?
On enquiry what this was he said for Local Police, I protested that I did not see and mention of Police.
Just grabbed the room Key back of me and said that go elsewhere if you don't want to sign. I protested that he had taken my passport and wanted me to sign a blank form, he replied go else where if you want. In desperation I singed a blank form which I did not understand.
Two Staff in restaurant surely require retraining in customer relations
Pool area well kept but pedestrians walking/gawking on public road made life uncomfortable.
Hire of TV room remote and internet access a little rich .
Very poor bar service .
Rooms while dowdy are clean with good maid service.
Prior to a revisit I will take German classes as all German spoken.

Room Tip: Learn German prior to your visit Be prepared to hand over passport at reception and sign a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 days last week. Although it was dated, it was by no means shabby, and was very clean. The rooms had a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and lounge, and a reasonably sized balcony. The pool area was great too. It was in easy walking distance from all of Playas facilities, and I have to say, the reception satff were very helpful and friendly, as was our chamber maid. Great stay, thank you.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
co, tipperary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

the plus was the cleanliness of it.daily maid service and maids very friendly,the negatives are as follows,hot food only warm they have no way of keeping it hot,bits of meat in all salads so if like me your vegetarian forget it,asked waiter to clear table for us for breakfast was told he hadnt time.asked for ashtray at pool and was told to be sure to return same, no nightly entertainment and nothing for kids, a drunken bar man was the only entertainment there.give it a miss people, a sheer waste of money

Room Tip: just dont go there
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Oh Rey Carlos.

My partner and I booked a very last minute get away to Gran Canaria through icelolly.com. The holiday company were great, very organised and all went to plan, however it might of been a better experience if we stayed on the coach the whole trip.

As we arrived at the Rey Carlos we were simply catapulted into a different time era - well, maybe more of a 'mock medieval' one. As two English 21 year olds just after a cheap sun break, we realised that not only did we not fit in because we didn't hold a free bus pass, but also that we weren't German. And there we couldn't have felt more uncomfortable.

My favourite memory of Rey Carlos was when my boyfriend and myself turned up for dinner at the restaurant, well dressed in a smart shirt and chino shorts and I was wearing a dress, where we were (eventually) met by a waiter who I can describe no better than resembling the notorious waiter from the ITV program 'Benidorm'. As were met he immediately revealed a battered sign from behind a screen which simply put, men had to wear trousers. As the hotel was hardly a 5 star establishment this was surprising but fine, until a (german, old) man walked past us wearing adidas jogging bottoms and flip flops where he was courteously taken to his seat by the waiter. We were confused and sauntered upstairs to get changed when my boyfriend realised he hadn't packed trousers as we were only there for a few days, (thank god). We sheepishly returned to the angry waiter who, after much pleading, eventually let us in on the caviat that we purchase some trousers tomorrow...
So low and behold the next day we ventured into the 'gift-shop' where we found some very german-oldman-esque trousers for the 'reasonable' sum of 20 euros. Excellent. We returned to the restaurant for dinner (where the food is sincerely below par to add..), where my boyfriends trousers were scrutinised by the waiter, and we were then allowed to sit down.
The waiter was extremely rude the whole trip, to the point of adding total comedy value to our dining experiences as he seemed to only appreciate the usual demographic of clientele and hated us.
The only saving grace was the pool area which was actually very nice. The pool was clean, and as long as you kept your eyes down (don't visit if you're a prude - the elderly german women will happily walk around in next to nothing) it was fine. We didn't have issues with sunbeds either which was a plus although we did make sure to get there at the time the pool opened (which was at 9).

To sum up this experience, we saw a competition to win a free stay at the hotel and laughed hysterically. Frankly even if it was free I wouldn't return... If I did I would bring a pair of blinkers, some trousers and a german dictionary. But then again, you get what you pay for!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rotherham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

the hotel is like something out of an old grand estate, suits of armour and statuettes in the foyer, old style wooden furniture that really suits it. The staff on reception were very helpful and the room maids were terrific, the rooms were cleaned and linens changed everyday. the waiters were wonderful and the food was excellent, the only two drawbacks were that two of the waiters were a bit offhand and the all inclusive guests were only able to get drinks from the dining room bar, the pool area is great but again a/I guests were not able to get drinks or snacks from there. all in all a fantastic place and we would go again.

Room Tip: we were on the third floor and it was great, lovely views over the pool
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The only good things about the Rey Carlos are the pool area and size of the rooms or "suites" as they call them . The furnishings and decor have clearly not been changed since it was built over 30 years ago . Everywhere in the hotel is dark. A truly depressing place with surly staff .

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Rey Carlos? Share your experiences!