“Great food and even better service. The owners couldn't be more charming.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wapa Tapa

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Tapas
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Spanish and international tapas bar ideally located within the Yumbo Centre.We aim to offer an imaginative mix of quality Spanish and international tapas and a balanced selection of Spanish wines at competitive prices.Our slogan is "tapas con corazon" which roughly translated means "tapas with heart" and refers both to the quality and presentation of our food as well as the personalised service we try to give to our customers.
“Great food and even better service. The owners couldn't be more charming.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I am in Playa del Ingles as an independent traveler and, as I'm sure most are, I'm basing my dining decisions on the great reviews left by other travellers. As #1, it was unavoidable that Wapa Tapa would make my list and I'm very glad that I took the time to visit. The restaurant is owned by a gay couple - one cooks and one manages. The front of house service was slow and relaxed but welcoming and helpful. I had four plates which was more than I needed but probably about right and the quality was great. I would particularly recommend the octopus which really stood out.

My evening was absolutely made when the chef came out to see me to say hello and ask for feedback. I really enjoyed the whole experience and intend to return for another dinner before I leave. Booking is absolutely essential as I watched several people being turned away without a reservation. I booked on Saturday for dinner on Tuesday.

I'm really looking forward to my next dinner there!

Derby, United Kingdom
“A superb evening - great food, lovely wine and a warm welcoming!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had a lovely evening at WAPA TAPA. As we had not had TAPAS before we asked Carlos to suggest what we should try. Consequently we had all sorts of delicious food that we would have never ordered independently. Before we realised we had spent about four hours at our table without ever being without something to eat.

Carlos went way beyond the "call of duty" reccommending somewhere for our daughters 18th birthday night and even organising a birthday cake for her - it was very much appreciated!

Our only dissappointment was that we had not gone earlier in the holiday - otherwise we would have gone back to try the rest of the menu!

So Thank You Carlos, Adrian and Anna for making our evening so memorable.

“Tapas with style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Carlos, Adrian and Anna are quite simply outstanding at what they do. We visited on my eldest daughters birthday as a party of six having booked a table after reading trip advisor comments. We found the experience delightful, and all six of us enjoyed everything we were served, which was a large portion of the menu, all shared as tapas is meant to be. Yes, our culinary experience took three or four hours, but such evenings are to be savoured and viewed as time well spent. All of the food we ate here was fantastic, with three or four of the Tapas actually outstanding, the king prawns were sublime, the black pudding and quail eggs exquisite, and the chorizo the crowning dish. Considering the size of the restaurant with all tables full, Carlos acts as front of house extremely well. Adrian the chef obviously cares what people think of his menu, and Anna keeps things turning over very well. The night we had was very enjoyable and we were made to feel very welcome and an important part of the restaurant that night, a feeling you don't get from most establishments, anywhere. If you are lucky enough to get a table here you will realise how special such a place this is. A must visit for everyone.

Copenhagen, Denmark
“What a disappointment - does not live up to #1 rating on Tripadvisor!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

We read the positive reviews and high rating on TA and had high expectations for this place. We got table our last evening as it was fully booked the previous nights.
We got table at 9 in the evening and ordered 8 tapas, but they were out of pumpkin soup so we settled for 7 instead. Then the waiting period started and we got our first Tapas served at 10:20 - 1 hr 20 min after we arrived! Slightly before the waiter told us that the chef ruined the choriza and therefore we could not have that served. Totally it took us 2 1/2 hr to have the 6 Tapas served and we got the salad served as last dish!
The food is OK, but the service is total disaster and chaos. They serve the dishes randomly and the waiting is far to long. I don't understand that this place is rated #1, we had our worst dinner experience during our week at PDI. The waiter is very charming and I suspect that is probably one of reasons for the high rating.
I cannot recommend this place, but if you want to try be prepared for a long evening. The two stars are for the quality of the tapas.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Adbole, Propietario at Wapa Tapa, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your extremely rapid feedback!

You will know from the many reviews we've received that our customers are generally speaking very happy with our service though we recognise that in your case we were certainly too slow in getting out the food. The fact that you were only drinking water must have made the wait even more unbearable and we apologise unreservedly for the discomfort caused.

It is certainly a shame you didn't get to try our popular spicy pumpkin soup and mini-chorizos but - and contrary to rumour - these items had unfortunately sold out by the time we took your order.

We usually do try and get the salad out first and until you enquired thought we had done so in your case. We're sorry you chose not to eat it once we eventually got it out to you with our profuse apologies. Naturally we took this off the bill.
Stockholm, Sweden
“Amazing service, cozy venue and very good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We decided to try this restaurant after reading the good reviews, so we left a message around lunch time, requesting a table later that evening. We were lucky to get a seat there the same night because of a cancellation.

As soon as we got there we were very well received. The host was friendly in a warm and genuine way and we, or at least I, pretty soon got the feeling that we weren't going to be disappointed!

We started with a jar of their Sangria, which was the best one I've had so far! After that, we devoured their tapas. I will try to remember them all and grade them:

Some tapas were a superb 5/5 (mainly the ones the host recommended), the Pata Negra (Iberian Ham), the Chili Con Carne, the Mini Chorizos. Then we diverged a bit from his recommendation and got two that weren't as perfect, only good. Overall the food was excellent, but I missed the Patatas Fritas!

• Visited July 2013