“Great service, good food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of IFA Hotel Continental

You added IFA Hotel Continental to your Saves list
IFA Hotel Continental
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida de Italia 2, 35100 Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #25 of 139 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Liverpool, UK
“Great service, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed during Maspalomas Pride with friends.
The staff were polite and friendly and the hotel was clean
Food - choice of food was excellent at all meals, only comment would be that sometimes it could be a bit hotter
Drinks - We'd seen comments about the all inclusive drinks list being very limited in choice but we found it very extensive and included something for everyone plus if there was items not all inclusive you got a discount on the price anyway
Pool - pool area was clean, plenty of sun loungers, only had difficulty getting one a few times even during mid afternoon there were usually some available
Rooms - great view from our balcony of the sea, there was also a sofa and the balcony had table and chairs. Floors carpet but this was no issue as they were cleaned every few days with a steam cleaner and our maid visited every day to change towels etc, very friendly.
Would have been nice to have a small fridge in room and perhaps free wifi.
Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
LopesanHotelGroup, Gerente at IFA Hotel Continental, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear guest,

We would wish to thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel and to share your experiences on TripAdvisor.

It is a pleasure to hear that you fully enjoyed your holidays and that you have been satisfied with our services and installations, especially with the services and the quality of our food.

It has been a real pleasure to have you with us and we are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed at the IFA Continetal on the 8th July-15July 2013 and it was the best experience ever!! Everyone kept asking why we chose Gran Canaria for a girls holiday but we didnt want the partying in our faces all the time and we wanted to be able to chill by the pool in the day and go out in the evening. This hotel was perfect for that. We arrived late at night and we were checked in and taken to the dinner hall where there was food waiting for us. We asked for two joining rooms, although we didnt get this we were only one room away from eachother which was ideal. The rooms were cleaned everyday and couldnt be faulted really. The rooms were never too hot and you could easily sleep at night. The entertainment by the pool in the day was really good never a dull moment with the animation team around. We did aqua gym twice and it was just a laugh for all of us and a proper workout even though we were all dancers we still found it challenging haha! It was only a short walk away from the main bars we met people that got a taxi but its a straight road and even coming back in the early hours it was never too far to walk and we always made it back to the hotel safely. We did the boat crusie and the bar crawl organised by thomson/thomas cook and they were both really good. This holiday was perfect for us and i would reccommend it to anyone looking for a chilled holiday in the day but like to go out in the evenings and dont aim to come home anytime before 2 especially people aged 18-25's but dont expect it to be filled with young people as there were middle aged couples there also. Overall it was an AMAZING holiday and the hotel definatly deserves more than 3 starts definatly at least a 4 star!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you that you have chosen our hotel for your recent holidays and we really thank you for your kind comments on this touristic social & public website.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate the nice words that you have posted.

Thank you so much for your consideration!!

Wit best regards,
Llanharan, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed at the IFA Continental from 8th July - 15th July. Overall it was an enjoyable stay. I stayed in room 125, it was on the first floor, so sea views were not available but that doesn't mean that my holiday was ruined, The view from my balcony was a view of the hotel across the road called parque tropical and the shops below us in the IFA continental hotel (there are around 4 shops, closing times are usually around 11 pm at night), the noise level was very low and we did not get disturb. When we arrived at the hotel it was around 5:30 pm, so we made it in time for dinner. the times for eating were : 7:30 - 10:30 am breakfast 1:30-3:30 lunch 6:30-7:30 dinner and 7:30-9:30 late dinner. Food at the hotel was enjoyable and there was a good variety to cover everyone's taste, however I did find that there was too much fish food. We booked our excursions through the hotel reception the trip we booked were palmitos park (highly recommend) which was around 29 euros, aqualand which was around 24 euros and spirit of the sea (highly recommend) which was 32 euros, the staff there are polite and very funny, they enjoy a good joke. The hotel is very clean and without fail you will always see a maid cleaning constantly. The rooms are clean everyday around 9-10 am however you can request a later time if you wish. If you like to use WI-FI on holiday then you can use unlimited free WI-FI in the bar hall, however the WI-FI is very unpredictable when its free (haha) I had to keep resetting it all the time, in the end I gave up trying and majority of the time I bought WI-FI which was 1 euro an hour and I think it was around 6 euros a day, this then enables you to use WI-FI anywhere in the hotel. The pool facility was very good there were 3 pools: 1 main and 2 children. there were also 3 jaquzi's. In hope of getting a sun lounger the chances are very slim, as most people reserve them from 8 am, however it states that sun loungers are not allowed to be reserved and the hotel staff have rights to remove the belongings if left empty, so if you feel that someone is hogging up the sun loungers then report it to the reception staff, I never did because I was out the majority of the time. however when I wanted to I was only able to get a sun lounger once. All inclusive drinks, soft drinks such as pepsi, orange schwepz were unlimited times were given on you welcome pack. the choice of cocktails were poor as the had a cocktail machine were you would fill up a plastic cup yourself and that was it, they did not taste very nice at all. and there was nothing pretty to look at like you would expect a cocktail to look like. there was not local ciders however there was around 3 choices of larger. and i think 3 choices of wines, so you never went thirsty, its just the presentation was not there and the drinks were standard. I never went to the theatre hall, but i did check what acts were there on the information board example of acts were: trained parrots, which you could hold and they do tricks. Beijing acrobats, bingo, tributes, fashion shows and so on. The rooms: the beds were pretty stiff but I found them quite comfortable for my back, there were settees, a chair and a bench n the corner of the room closest to the patio doors, there was also a wardrobe and a dresser close to the bed, inside the wardrobe was a safe, this safe you can rent at 2 euros a day, I didn't rent as I had a lock on my suitcase however nothing disappeared from my room. the balcony is quite spacious and can fit around 4 people on it with space to move about. There is also a gym and a health spa in the hotel however I never used them personally.The only fault I really had which weren't even to do with the hotel was the rudeness of the people who visited there, my friends and myself felt very uncomfortable how people would stare at us, they stared a lot at our body sizes, i am a happy size 18 so it didn't bother me as much but my friend started to feel self concious in herself which got me really annoyed because everywhere we walked someone would always stare, so if you plus sized I wouldn't recommend going to a country were they judge you, shame really as it affected our stay at the hotel. Finally the location is very ideal, you have shops right at your hand and across the road in the tropical centre, the beach is a 2 minute walk however the main resort beach is about a 15 minute walk . The bus and taxi station is right across the road and there is a 24 hour clinic across the road as well as even more shops. I have included images of the hotel and overall I recommend this hotel if you stay at playa de ingles.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LopesanHotelGroup, Gerente at IFA Hotel Continental, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel in the first place and also for sharing your experiences with other travelers.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and we appreciate the nice words that you have posted.
However, we are a little concerned about your comments regarding the people who visited our hotel because we do not allow the use of our installations for non-hotel guests. We make controls during the day in the pool area and at the entrance we ask for the guests’ room key.
We would like to offer our apologies, if your holidays have not been to your fully satisfaction and we would like to offer you to contact us directly in the next email address: continental@lopesan.com , especially to receive more detailed information about what happened.
We are very much looking forward to your next stay with us and remain
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Just had a 1 week stay all inclusive here and was suprised as arriving at 1 am the coach dropped us off in a built up area but the first impression of the hotel was good with a posh looking entrance, on arrival we went reception and checked in we were then taken to the dinner hall where food was waiting and someone there to serve us water this was about 1.30am by this time so dont worry about arriving early hours the staff will look after you.The room is what you would expect, we were lucky to be given room 401 it`s a long walk along the corridor but worth it as it was the last apartment to the left of the building so looking out of the balcony we had a sea view to the front and a mountain view to the left and gave a wonderful breeze during the evening. i cannot fault the cleaners as they did a wonderful job everyday to a high standard but if you take any cutlery from home with you ie: a teaspoon it will disappear as i think the cleaners are instructed to remove crockery and cutlery from rooms as it is against the rules of the hotel but none the less top class, i would advise to take a travel kettle as its always nice to end the evening or start the day with a coffee on the balcony, take some 2 or 3 in one sachets with you and if you run out the local supermarket sell them for 20 cents each, try not to buy milk as you will find it impossible to keep cool. The room is equipped with a flat screen tv but dont worry about a remote control as you would have to rent it, if you do get bored and want to watch tv then channel 29 is aribic subs but english speaking but if you fancy watching a movie late one night the get yourself a 8/16GB flash drive and load it with films and put it into the usb slot of the tv and the tv will recognise it and use tv buttons to navigate the drive so no remote needed, will play avi and mkv files also mp3 now enough of the tv. So if you any room ending in 01 above the fourth floor you will be in luck but no air con in these rooms so the whole week i didnt get into bed just layed on it.
As with the hotel website it does state that no reservations of sunbeds is allowed well im afraid it`s a free for all as 7.30am i saw people laying towels out on beds and maybe by 9am the sunbeds were taken and then its pot luck but we went to the beach everyday which is a 100 yards down the road but be warned the sand is like a dust and it will burn your feet, flip flops a must so down the steps and turn right sit by the rocks by the trees and just wait for the lizards and most days i was feeding them kiwi good to see.
Back to the hotel: All inclusive will start everyday at breakfast and end at 11pm three meals a day in the dinner lounge and snacks throughout the day at the pool bar but be warned if you want coffee before 11am then take it with you from breakfast and sit outside as no bar or machines will be working until 11am which i found a little disappointing but the good thing is it all stops at 11pm so no late night drinkers or trouble, when ordering a drink you will be given plastic cups so just ask for a glass and pour your beer yourself from the taps but be warned only one bar is open in the evening and it gets very busy, Free wifi in the bar lounge but slows down in peak times but if you want to wifi pay 1 euro for 1 hour and it works perfectly in the rooms.
If you want a bus ride then just around the corner is the bus/coach station prices for travel or for an evening walk go down to the seafront and turn right and walk the path down to the next town about 15 min walk but pleasant a few steps {75} when you get there but maybe worth it, lots of bars restaurants and if you want practice your skills in negotiation and not buying then give the looky looky men a go they like to try but all gave up with me in the end, keep walking along the seafront to get to the sand dunes but daytime is best but be warned its a nudist and gay beach so if you are offended dont go. but im saying no more its up to you to go exploring and find yourself gem at sparkles for a good laugh..
Temperatures for our week was between 27 and 33 c so no need for trousers just shorts and smart shirts, lots of germans but not a problem...
Thats enough of me going on just have fun just one last thing the staff are always happy to serve and always polite this classed as a 3 star but certainly should be a 4 star and we would defiantly go again to this hotel and thanks IFA Continental for a great week.

Room Tip: Remember any numbers ending in 01 from 401 upwards are your inluck,
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LopesanHotelGroup, Gerente at IFA Hotel Continental, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for having chosen our hotel for your recent holidays and also for your comments on Tripadvisor.
We are glad to hear that you had a great time here in Gran Canaria; we are just a little concerned about your comments regarding the disappearance of a teaspoon of your room. If we had known it, our staff is always willing to resolve any complaints or incidents that the clients have during your stay. Let me clarify you also, that the housekepper does not have this instruction that you mean in your post.
Once again we would like to thank you for your confidence in choosing our hotel and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have just returned from 1 weeks stay (16th July) with my mum and 2 friends, we stayed at the ifa because the hotel we usually use is undergoing a refurb.

The staff were amazing, very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The food was adequate although it was annoying that we were unable to make a cup of tea in the restaurant apart from at breakfast time.

I feel that the staff were an asset to the hotel, it's just a shame the hotel has so many problems. On arrival the hotel looked very nice and well kept, however the more you look around you notice things that need that little bit of extra attention which to me seems as though lopespan are not prepared to spend the money to improve. The main hotel entrance door does not seem to be working so plants have been placed in the doorway and you have to use the doors at the sides. The carpets on the corridors are in desperate need of changing, there is a glass panel with a crack in it on the smokers terrace. You may think these are minor issues, well if that's the case why haven't they been seen to.

Another gripe I have with this hotel is that they don't stick to ALL of the rules they set (some of them are silly in my eyes). The pool side opens at 8am but the pool does not open till 11am yet toward the end of our stay there were people in the pool at 8.30am (whilst it was still being cleaned). People were taking crockery to their sunbeds which were next to the pool, one of the waiters even dropped a cup which smashed and fell into the pool, it was retrieved by a swimmer. Food and drink was not permitted to be taken in or out of the restaurant, however this was the only place we were able to get a drink before 11am and we used to take drinks out to the terrace but when we went to take a drink in with us which we had from all incl we were refused. You can wear what you like into the dining room at any time - unlike what is advertised.

There needs to be some uniformity.

I don't want to sound like a moaning git and actually enjoyed my stay, apart from not having any a/c. I would recommend people to stay here as it is good value for money and a very friendly welcoming hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
We would wish to thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel and to share your experiences on Tripadvisor.
We appreciate your detailed description of your impressions during your stay and we are glad that all in all you had a good stay with us and that you recommend other travelers our hotel.
In reference to your comment about having new improvements in the hotel, and a point of reference both to you and to any other possible future guest, we would like to inform you that we are working small improvements in the hotel’s rooms to make them more comfortable and beautiful.
We would also like to add, that, due to the summer month and the higher temperatures we recently eased up the dressing rules a little, and we now admit also short trousers (except bathing suites and sleeveless shirts) in the Buffet Restaurant at dinner time. I would also clarify that we apply the dress code - long trousers at the dinner time for gentlemen – in winter season.
We hope that nevertheless you will visit us again and we would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.
With kind regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the IFA Continental for 10 nights All Inclusive in June for our honeymoon and we loved it. When we were trying to find somewhere to go we really weren't sure so we gave in and done it through a travel agents (Thomson) and the girl said her friend was just back from there and she really enjoyed it, so after looking at a few reviews we decided just to go for it. Even though it was only a 3* hotel the reviews were brilliant compared to 4* hotels. When we arrived at the hotel we were pleasantly surprised the hotel seemed nice from the outside. The inside was lovely and we got checked in straight away, got our safe for the entire stay (think it was 2Euros a day) and were told that we will still be able to make lunch as there was an hour left so we went upstairs to our room (by lift, which was good, as some hotels don't have lifts). The room (330) was basic but very clean, I was so surprised with the bathroom it was lovely! (Only thing that I was a bit jealous about was near the end of the holiday we went into people we had met room, which was on 1st floor, and they had a flat screen tv on wall and it was freshly painted, we paid a lot more than what they paid for doing a late deal and they got a better room) Except from that the only small thing I would say is that the carpet in the room I didn't like as I prefer tiled floors (I don't know why) The maid on our floor was excellent!! Everyday she cleaned room and made our beds, folded my pjs and put them under the pillow which I thought was nice, she also put all shoes in a straight line, she clearly put effort into her job! The food at the AL was really nice, but after the first 2 days there was never another chicken breast which really annoyed me as I don't like pork, which they had everyday. The beef steak they put on a few times was lovely but was only twice within the 10 nights we was there. The salad bar and desserts looked lovely, but I didn't really have much of them. The drinks were good aswell but the only thing is it doesn't start till 11am which isn't good as it is rosten hot by then, with most hotels now starting to do 24hr AL I think they need to reconsider their hours even from 10am till 12am would be better. The activities at the hotel were brilliant (although we only done them on the last day, wish we had done them more, especially as you get a certificate presented to you at the evening shows!) The evening shows, most of them were brilliant, except from 2 they were fashion shows were very boring! Hotel is not too far from the beach, the Kasbah centre which is where the nightlife is, only a 5 minute walk away from hotel. The Yumbo centre (gay area of town) is like 4Euros in a taxi and that is a must! Drag acts are hilarious, however I was shocked with what I seen in a club so we left straight away and got a burger king and went back to the hotel. Also not to far away from the hotel is the Irish Centre, has a really nice restaurant called Pink Lady good food and cheap went ate their twice when we got sick of the AL, also there is an irish bar called Patricks I think, good deals and have live music twice a week. Overall the hotel was brilliant and I would go back!

I would advise that you do the scuba diving through Thomson, it is 78Euros each I think and you get picked up at 8am and we didn't get back till about 4:30pm. You get your health and safety brief, all your equipment fitted etc and then you go out snorkelling for about an hour to get used to water and breathing etc then go for lunch (little bar at end of beach is cheap and do good toasties) then you go out in 2 separate groups for the actual scuba dive, sadly I chickened out of the scuba diving as I have a fear of water but my husband said it was brilliant and we also got a picture of him under the water that was taken by the dive centre's photographer, not too expensive for that, we ended up going back out snorkelling ourselves.

Aqualand water park, is okay I have been to a better one in Zante, its still good for the money I suppose but I would only go once. Go early to it, we got the bus there which is just across road sort of from hotel and it was about 1.60Euros each I think very cheap, the only thing is that on the way back I would advise a taxi (was no more than 7Euros) as the people coming back from Polomitos Park are all on bus and is very busy you cant get on it.

Polomiots Park is the a zoo (just no big animals) was brilliant!! Get their early though as the first dolphin show is at 1pm I think and is the main attraction so very busy. The 3 shows, parrots, birds of prey and dolphin were all brilliant, but the dolphin show was amazing!! You can also get pictures taken with all of them which is good 20Euros for dolphin but I thought it was worth it. You can also swim with the dolphins for 150Euros each, we didn't do it which I totally regret, wish we had done it. Same as waterpark we got the bus there was about 2.20Euros each I think and we go the bus back also.

All in all an amazing honeymoon!

Room Tip: We were on 3rd floor and we never heard any noise at all except from one night but you cant be annoy...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
First of all we would like to express our sincerest gratitude for your nice review and also for sharing your opinion with other travelers on Trip Advisor.
We are glad that you had a nice and relaxing stay and also that you have chosen our hotel for celebrating your honeymoon.
We are very much looking forward to your next stay and remain
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 week all-inclusive holiday (returned 16th July)
I think the last review pretty much said it all. Firstly location is good, close to beach 5 mins and 15 min walk to Kasbah. If your fit enough and don't mind the sizzling 30+ temps you can even try for the Yumbo centre (35 min walk).
Now lets discuss the food objectively! Yes there is choice for everyone and the food is always of a good standard. It does get a little repetitive and some days are better than others (subject to preference). I have stayed at the Flamingo Oasis in Benidorm 4 stars and the food was much better with far greater choice. I think this may be one reason why the IFA has also not gained 4 star status.
You do need to mix well with other Nationalities because this hotel caters for quite a significant number of them. The Island as a whole seems to lean towards German and Dutch travellers, there are a very high mix of these in particular.
"SUNBEDS" Dont get caught up in the 8am (doors open) sun bed rush. We easily got a bed later at 9.30ish, albeit not in the best location but good enough to get the sun pretty much all day. The pool area is lovely, nice pools and 3 Jacuzzi's, you will find it hard to fault this (best feature of the hotel).
The staff were friendly, I read comments on here that worried me about how we might be treat, but fear not the staff were really good and could not fault the service on our all-inclusive package. The drinks were ok, not great, but ok.
Rooms spacious (a little dated from a decor point of view), but very clean. Maid service was brill and rooms were always lovely and clean upon our return.
If you look hard enough you can see why the IFA hotel has not earned its 4 star status (decor in a few areas is shabby but not too bad), (Food is generally good but needs to go that extra mile in order to raise it up a level). (Air-con in peak months would be nice although we found it not necessary). My guess is if the Lopesan company spend the money, then in the near future it could well be advertised as a 4 star hotel.
My last couple of comments are a bit of a whine! the entertainment sucks!!! It is really bad (NO REALLY BAD!!) If your coming here for the entertainment then oops! never mind at least you can venture out to find alternative entertainment.
People had posted comments about lack of kids entertainment outside of school hols (I have no sympathy, they should be in school!!). Anyway as it happens while we were there animation team were great and they never stopped with activities for kids and adults from 10am till 5pm every day.(They deserve a medal).
THIS IS A GOOD QUALITY 3 STAR HOTEL "YOU SHOULDN'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

Dear guest,
It is one of the most important tasks for all the hotel’s staff members to receive and analyze the opinions of our hotel guests. We are really thankful that you have sent us your commentaries about our hotel’s services and facilities.
We do regret if we have not been able to come up to your expectations, however we accept your opinion without discussing it and we would really like to welcome you again at our hotel in the future in order to be able to show you that day after day we are working on our improvement.
Yours cordially,
Hotel Manager

Been to IFA Hotel Continental? Share your experiences!