“Fantastic......Magnifico great fun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of IFA Hotel Continental

You added IFA Hotel Continental to your Saves list
IFA Hotel Continental
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida de Italia 2, 35100 Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #25 of 139 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“Fantastic......Magnifico great fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Fantastic hotel all-round. All the staff are very polite and the sevice is impecable right from the reception desk to your room maids.

The food is unbelievable in this place, choice is always very tempting wether your a vegitarian or belly buster you will not fail to be pleased in the restaraunt.

You get the choice of when and what time you want your room maid to attend daily and the rooms are always left immaculate with fresh towels and sheets each day.

The entertainment program is always well sourced and accomodates every age each evening. Guests are always entertained by the professionaly trained staff giving away free bottles of champers and cocktails in various competitions, quizes and easy games.

This hotel has won many gold medals and was listed as a Thomson Gold on many occassions. The pool areas are lovely and in the evening make a relaxing place to sit around with a cocktail from the terrace bar.

There is a hairdressers, sauna, small gym, table tennis, sky sports on a big screen, internet and telephones all in the huge reception areas. You can get an iron at no cost from the main desk and the exchange rate is always among the best on the island here being only for guests.

Location is spot on being only 10 minutes stroll from the beach. There is a bus station and taxi rank accross the road to take you anywhere on the island. There is a centre called the Tropical just a 10 minute stroll away with around 10 restraunt/pubs in it, an abundance of shops, internet cafe (1e=20minz) and a tango dance pub which is very nice in the evenings.

10 out of 10 for me i would recommend this hotel to all age groups and familys alike.

1 x downside. Noise from traffic can be annoying if you get put on the roadside and have`nt had enough vino to make you sleep all night!! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front elevation or overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

My wife, 13 year old son and I have just got back from a 2 week stay at the IFA Continental and like others were a little worried by some of the poor reviews on here. We shouldn't have, because we found hardly any of the complaints to be of a major concern.

THE HOTEL -
is situated near a busy road and Playa del Ingles is lively, fun holiday resort so you will get noise - ask for a room on a high floor (we were on the 5th) and although my wife is a light sleeper we still managed to get a good sleep.

has no Air Con but we didn't find this a problem as it is a lot cooler at night - You can hire fans but we didn't need them and we even kept the door closed all night to keep the noise down.

the rooms are a little basic but very clean, we could have done with a bit more storage as there were 3 of us but managed all the same. TV is small but we only watched CNN for news - a remote control can be obtained from reception for a deposit but you don't need it once you master the buttons on the TV.

safe deposit - can be hired for a couple of euros a night but we didn't bother and just locked stuff in a suitcase and even stuff we left on the dressing table was fine.

FACILITIES -
Pool - there are 3 seperate pools, one large pool and one small pool with a jacuzzi plus a childrens pool with a slide. Even the main pool is only 1.2m deep so safe enough for older children. Three other jacuzzis situated in a slightly more secluded area provide a more relaxed area for adults and we spent most of our time there.

Internet - There are 6 PC's and you get 20 minutes for 1 euro - just drop a coin in the slot and you're online... they can get busy at night but the rest of the time you can take your pic. There was also a coin operated Wi-Fi machine but not sure how that worked and a Playstation with a huge screen.

There was also a table-tennis table, pinball machine and other ammusements to keep you (or a teenager) entertained if needed.

FOOD / ALL INCLUSIVE -
You certainly won't go hungry... Yes, if like me you're a fussy eater you may find yourself eating the same thing over again but you'll still find plenty of choice.
Breakfast is from 8 - 10.30 and you can have cereal, fruit, toast, yoghut, continetal buffet or full english buffet.

11.00 - Self Drinks available from the Pool Bar and also sandwitches, fruit, cake and other snacks availble.

13.00 - 14.30 Lunch - wide range of food - pizza, hot dog, burger. chip, pasta, rice salad bar, soup and lots other choices. Also Fruit, Cake, Ice Cream and other desert choices.

18.00 - 19.30 & 19.30 - 21.00 Dinner - Again lots of choice... Soup, Meat, Fish, Pasta, Salad Bar etc and desert options

Sandwitches/Rolls were also availble in the bar from around 21.30

All Inclusive finishes at 23.00 but you could get in a couple of extra drinks before closing or purchase drinks until around 01.00 with various special offers on nearly every night.

STAFF - We found all the staff to be very helpful - We arrived at 03.30 and they had even left food for us. Geraldine in Reception is English so we would always try to ask her the in-depth questions and she was always very, very helpful. Yes resteraunt/bar staff do 'pounce' on empty plates/glasses but normally ask if you're finished first.

Animation Team - Work 6 days a week (Sundays is their rest day) Activities (for the energetic) around the pool from 10.30 - 16.30 Water polo, Volleyball, Darts etc but they aren't pushy so if you don't have to be involved. Panchi Club for the youngsters runs for a couple of hours in the morning and afternoon and they have a mini disco at 20.15

Other Activities at 21.15 include Bingo, Music Quiz, Fashion Show, Parrot Show & Reptiles then the main entertainment at 22.00 usualy consisted of a Tribute Act - Michael Jackson. ABBA, Tina Turner etc or Acrobats, Carnival, Burlesque type dancers.... not world class but certainly watchable.

A final couple of points - Yes there are signs saying Long Trousers required for dinner but they didn't enforce it while we were there.

THE HOTEL -

FACILITIES -

FOOD / ALL INCLUSIVE -

Sandwitches/Rolls were also availble in the bar from around 21.30

Sunbeds - Again, it does say to not reserve them with towels but everyone does from 8am. We only saw 1 day in the 2 weeks when we had a different Security Guard who went round and if there was just a towel he rolled it up and placed it at the foor of the sunbed... then an hour later he returned and any still rolled up were removed and placed in storage. To be fair - at 4pm there were still some in storage so obviously some selfish people were reserving beds and then going to the beach.

All in all a Great hotel and we'd certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor if you want to lessen the noise.
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Have just returned from a ten day stay at the IFA. I was slightly apprehensive about staying here because some of the reviews suggested bad things and I was also worried about the lack of air conditioning. However, many of the most recent reviews have been extremely positive and rightly so.

I'll start with the air conditioning as this was something I was worried about. Firstly, you CAN have air conditioning in your room for an extra 50 euros or hire a fan for a week for 10 euros. My family (of four) didn't require either of these during our stay. Gran Canaraia during the evening is very cool, so cool that our clothes left on the balcony each night didn't dry over night like you would normally expect them too. I was much hotter at home in England in the few nights before I left for the holiday. It is warm, but at no point was I uncomfortable and I slept with a blanket over me!

Lots of people have mentioned the noise and I would agree that yes you can hear cars and people. It is actually on a little side road. It is not a major road but with several hotels down that side road it can get busy with coaches and people at night. In order to keep the room cool most people keep their balconies open which lets in the noise. If you are a really light sleeper then this might be a problem for you, however nobody in my family were unable to sleep because of the noise. This is the only smallest downside the hotel had but unless you want an isolated location you will get a little bit of noise in every hotel.

The rooms are a little outdated but NOT run down like some people have said. the carpet isn't frayed and the tiles aren't cracked or anything like that. My room had a lovely bathroom, decent chairs to sit on, a nice dressing table and a decent sized wardrobe with hangers. It had plenty of space and was spotlessly clean. Considering your room is really only used to sleep at night, you can't ask for much more.

The food was great at the hotel. Yes, it can be repetitive if you are a picky eater but if you're not then you can easily have a different meal each night. I often repeated my lunches but I think only once in ten days did I eat the same thing of an evening and that was only because it was delicious. Over the ten days I ate everything from lamb chops, steak, lasagna, pork chops, turkey, pasta, roast potatoes..... The restaurant is lovely and the service from the staff is second to none.
Word of warning: there are signs around the hotel saying that men are requested to wear long trousers to dinner. I didn't see how they could realistically enforce this but my hubby and dad took a pair each just to be on the safe side: they weren't needed. I asked the waiter and he said shorts were fine. I think they just want to discourage people from coming in wet from the pool, and rightly so really as the restaurant is lovely. I think that during the low season they do enforce this rule so if you have men in your party tell them to take a pair of long trousers just in case.
When you arrive they give you a card marking your slot for dinner. It will either by the early one 6-7.30 or 7.30--9.30. We were given the late one but never were we asked to show our card and most nights we went in about 7.00 and this was never a problem.

Animation team were fantastic and had lots of activities going on all day. They weren't pushy and if you didn't want to join in you didn't have to. As people have mentioned, sun loungers weren't really a problem. You can find a sun longer anytime throughout the day, you might just have to sit somewhere different each day.

The hotel has several nationalities that stay there, mostly German, but many more brits than I expected. We never encountered any rudeness from anyone. In fact, we made good friends with some Dutch and German people staying there.
Entertainment of an evening was what you would expect from Gran Canaria. Not brilliant but most of it was watchable.

There is a courtesy room available with showers and towels provided on the day you leave, so this means you don't have to pay extra to keep your room on if you have a later flight.

Overall, we had a brilliant holiday and really enjoyed our time there. If you are going to this hotel you will have a great time!

Room Tip: Rooms are on three sides of the hotel. Ask for a sea view room on top floor as not only have they go...
merseyside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Visited this hotel with my teenage daughter and friends. All in all I found the hotel very friendly. The maids work very hard to keep the rooms very clean, despite the place needing an update.The food is good with a wide choice of fresh salads and fruit daily and steaks etc cooked freshly in front of you. We liked being all inclusive but beware the drinks are very strong , no measures used here so you may need to top up the G&T with extra tonic.
On the down side I fel this hotel is in need of airconditioning as the nights get very hot and the noise from outside is terrible as its on a main road. However, part way through my holiday I noted that you can hire fans from reception at 25 Euros with a 10 Euro deposit for 7 days, if only I had been told that when I checked in ! I would return to this hotel however as all of the staff were very pleasant and helpful. As far as the other guests are concerned, I found the other British people were the rudest of all, staying up all night making a noise and staring at you at meal times, you know who you are !

Room Tip: Hire a fan for the hot nights
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

was a bit worried about choosing this hotel after reading some reviews but dont know what previous people were complaining about re bad reviews. we arrived late at night and were given food which we did not expect at 1am. First the food was very good and as a party of four we never had any complaint, various choices and good quality, the restaurant was spotlessly clean and we enjoyed eating here being all inclusive. The rooms were a bit dated but not run down and were also spotlessly clean with cleaners in daily and to a high standard. We never found it unbearable of a night and after a few drinks we never heard a lot of noise from the street in front. The rest of the hotel was lovely and it was more like a 4* plus. The three swimming pools were also good and we never had a problem finding a sun bed, you can get a bed from 8 am but we went down one day at midday and still found some, maybe not in the best place but they were available. The amination team work work very hard and there is always something to join in with if you want, a lot of fun games to meet new people. The evening entertainment was ok saw a few good shows. I would go back again and i am pleased i choose this hotel, we were a family of four with ages from 27 to 55. The staff were all polite and we met some lovely german and dutch people and we never once came across any rude guests, everyone joined in with things no matter what there nationality. so if your booked to go here your in for a good time

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I just want to say that this was our first holiday abroad in some 8 years so we were a bit apprehensive after reading other reviews and hoped that it would be a good choice.

All I can say is - don't believe everything you read in other reviews. On arrival we were greeted by a lovely helpful lady (considering it was 4am). The room although a bit dated was spotlessly clean as was the rest of the hotel, the only downfall was the lack of air con especially at night because the rooms mainly face over the front of the hotel out towards the road, there is a bit of noise from others returning in the early hours from clubbing etc you need to keep the door shut but you can remedy this by asking for a fan from reception and also we found by putting cotton wool in your ears it blocked this out.

The food was excellent, there was always something to eat, I would recommend scanning whats on offer and then with a little thought you could put together a lovely meal. Mid morning they would set out a small buffet next to the pool bar of rolls, sandwiches, cakes etc or at lunchtime you could have another buffet choice in the restaurant - burgers, hotdogs, chips plus lots more. Cant fault the drinks,all you want on tap so to speak - all local spirits, sangria, red, white and rose wine, lager, fizzy drinks, coffee, tea, lots lots more.

The pool area was beautiful with open and shady spots - very tidy and clean but to get a desirable sunbed location you need to be in the queue at 8am to beat the rush. The Animation team were brilliant and didn't push too much if you didn't want to join in.

The evening entertainment was what you would expect - mini disco to start, then something on at 9pm and then at 10pm - the seating area was large so always somewhere to sit.

The resort itself is fine, the hotel is only a short walk to the promenade and beaches and also the shopping areas which is where you will also find the night life and restaurants etc.

We had two trips - first was the Super Catamaran - this was a great day out but we feel a little overpriced - just remember to take a hat as it can get very hot when the boat isn't moving. Second trip was the Water Park - this was excellent - however they do tend to catch you with charging for the sunbeds, lockers and inflatables to use on the flumes. Order a pack lunch from reception the night before and take this with you - drinks etc are very expensive - but still go its an excellent park.

Lastly, we flew from Exeter and therefore we had late flights - we didn't leave the hotel until 12 midnite. If you ask at reception on the morning of your departure you can pay £25 euros and keep your room and all-inclusive bands for the rest of day. This is a real benefit.

Also - there is a small fitness room with bikes, free weights and stepper. Also an Internet cafe with about 6 computers and costs 1 euro for 10 mins. Oh and you will note on arrival that the hotel recommends trousers and shirts for wearing in the hotel but in high season they don't worry as long as you don't go in without a top on or in swimmers.

Well I think thats everything and hope this is of great help to all that read this.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Swanley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Ifa Continental - This could not be more under rated!!
My Boyfriend (18) & I (17) have just come back from an amazing week in Playa Del Ingles! We went on the first week of August 2011 and with a Thomas Cook All Inclusive package holiday!! If you are considering Thomas Cook i would 100% advise due to the fantastic service of our hotel rep Sam!!

Before going on this holiday i read lots of negative reviews and was slightly worried! If you have to - DO NOT PANIC!! It is a beautiful hotel, location, food and the weather is incredible!! Oh and the Germans, they are really no bother at all!!

We arrived at 9pm on our first night which is when dinner closes, however the staff were extremely helpfull and layed on extra food for us as we arrived slightly later than expected! The staff at reception could not have been more welcoming and made us feel like this was going to be a fantastic holiday!

The hotel itself is quite large but beautiful! It has one of the best pool areas i have ever seen! 1 quiet pool area, 1 main pool and a childs pool with a slide. Not forgetting 4 Jacuzzis!! The rooms are a generous size all with balconys. We were lucky enough to have a sea facing room ( of which there are plenty)! There is a hair dryer in the room and most rooms are smoking.. seeing as everyone in Gran Canaria seems to smoke!! There is a room avaliable for showers if you have to check out a while before your flight home.

The food is your basic buffet but i cannot fault it! I'm not one for fine dine cusine and if you are then you should consider a 5* rather than be dissapointed by this hotel! There was a wide range of what was avaliable every day and i was full to the brim every day!!
As well as breakfast, lunch and dinner, there was drinks on tap all day in the self service areas spotted around the hotel and at half 11 and half 3 there was rolls, cake, fruit etc all layed out in these areas also.

The entertainment is your usual hotel animation team, nothing amazing but was a laugh on a few of the nights! It was never mind blowing but never bad! The nightlife is great!! Across the road from this hotel is a kareoke bar called 'Flashback' its a very English bar very cheap drinks and a great way to start the night!! Keep walking straight down this road into the Kasbah and this is where all the nightlife is! Plenty of bars and restaurants and some amazing clubs including; Ministry of Sound, China White, Pacha, MTV, Seven & Escape!! There are a lot of people hanging around outside offering free entry with a free shot and cocktail - THIS IS NOT A RIP OFF!! and it saved us plenty of money as we never payed entry for the whole week!! If you are with Thomas Cook and you want to go clubbing i would recommend on a Tuesday the 'Rock the Kasbah' bar crawl its 10 euros and that includes free entry to 5 clubs (China White, Ministry of Sound, Pacha, MTV and Seven) and a free shot and games in all!!

The beach and sand dunes are beautiful if this is more your scene!! But i wouldnt recommend wearing flip flops to the beach/sand dunes during the day as you will burn your feet off!! I walked on a towel for about 2 hours!! Apart from that they are an amazing part of Gran Canaria and are definitely worth visiting!!

Overall we had an incredible first holiday together and feel that we could not have picked a better location or hotel!! We both got amazing tans and cannot wait to visit again in the near future!! I hope this has helped you make your decision and i hope you enjoy your holiday!! xx

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room at the front of the hotel - the staff will be very kind and allow you to cha...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to IFA Hotel Continental? Share your experiences!