“santa clara” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Clara Bungalows

You added Santa Clara Bungalows to your Saves list
Santa Clara Bungalows
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Sargentos Provisionales 24, 35100 Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #44 of 139 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
coventry
“santa clara”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

Over the last few years we have stayed at many places in playa del ingles. We always book flights and accommodation separately (independent travellers), we try not if we can help to book with holiday companies. This was our first time at Santa Clara Bungalows and we hit the JACKPOT, they are FANTASTIC. Will be definitely booking SANTA CLARA again for our holiday in April/may 2010. Everywhere was clean & tidy, beautiful well-kept main gardens with cacti & bougainvillea, and each bungalow had its own small front & back gardens. Of course, the rooms are basic, but what else do u need? There was a 2-ring hob, a toaster, a microwave and a coffee percolator, no kettle, but there was a small pot.
They kept very clean with the maid coming in daily except Sunday. All the staff are very friendly and helpful; especially orlando (a handsome receptionist) .The pools (2) are very well maintained. They are central to all the bars, restaurants and clubs. There is a large supermarket (keep away from SPAR) in San Fernando a 20 minute walk away which provides a much larger selection of foods at much cheaper prices than the local shops.
Reading some of the reviews I find it hard to believe at some of the comments made, I wonder to myself if the other reviewers were asleep or even on something self, there are some awful accommodation I could mention in playa del ingles , BUT THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE SANTA CLARA BUNGALOWS.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

I have just read the last review (“Not what you expect”) and think they have been very unfair on the place and also homophobic in my opinion. Here's one of their comments:

'The agent forgot to tell us it was full of gays. Not so good when you have to explain to your children why men are in drag and men are kissing etc. It should at least give you warning which we didnt get as i would never have gone otherwise'.

Playa Del Ingles is well known for the gay nightlife, a little research would have told them this. You can't shield children away from world. Gay people are part of life! They also moaned about the weather, is this Santa Clara's fault?

Anyway, enough of me getting that off my chest. I thought the place was lovely. Friendly greeting on arrival, clean bungalows with well stocked kitchens. lovely gardens and flowers. Two pools which was great as one was always quieter to swim properly and the other great for kids to splash about in.

The only thing we were disappointed about was the charge of €7 an hour for the tennis court which we thought was a bit steep.

Overall a fab holiday but obviously that's one opinion. See for yourself!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I originally booked Las Tartanas. Some of the bungalows had been flooded the previous week by torrential storms, people had had to be moved & so I didn't get the quiet bungalow I was expecting. Upon arrival, we were asked by the very poilte receptionist if we wanted to stay at Santa Clara, round the corner, instead. After viewing Santa Clara, we immediately loved it.
Over the years, I have stayed at many places in GC and these were GREAT. Will definitely go back again next year. Everywhere was clean & tidy, beautiful well-kept main gardens with cactii & bourgainvillea, and each bungalow had its own small front & back gardens. Ours had 2 lemon trees in fragrant blossom. Beautiful !
Of course, the rooms are basic, but what else do u need? There was a 4-ring hob, a toaster & a microwave. (You can hire a kettle, but we had one with us).
It was very quiet ~ essential to me ~ & one of the pools was particularly under-used & great to sit around. The beach cafe was friendly, but pricey, as you would expect.

The Staff were fantastic. In particular, the handsome receptionist, Orlando, was a friendly & helpful man.
On the final day, we had to vacate the room at noon but wanted to enjoy the afternoon's hot sun. He let us use an unoccupied room to have a hot shower before leaving, as the main "community" ones only had cold water. He didn't have to do this, & maybe shouldn't have, but he did so.
Thank you.

I loved my little bungalow & the situation was perfect ~ quiet ~ but only 5 minutes walk from the Yumbo & easy for the Ave. Tirajana to go to the dunes or beach.

The Greek Village restaurant next door did not play Greek music on the night we ate there & the waitress was lovely but English ! Really wanted a bit of authenticity, but that doesn't seem to happen in GC.... (Italian restaurants don't have Italian waiters etc.). It was really great food, but a bit "nouveau" so, if you're a big eater, you wont feel very satisfied. We also waited 45 minutes for the meal to arrive ~ dunno how they manage when it's busy !
I never saw the little supermarket open, but got stuff from any of the Spars. (BTW ~ Milk always seems to go off by the next day ~ whatever the date on it!)

Best places to eat are:
"Centrum Restaurant" (2nd floor Yumbo) ~ great for breakfasts. The tuna/salad/mayo/ toastie is fantastic at about E2.50
"Barbados" (roundabout at Tirajana/Alf. Prov.) ~ pricey but always excellent food & great service.
"Las Porches" (Ave. Allemania). Great value, excellent food.

Looking forward to next Feb in the sun there !

Kent
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

My mother, sister and I stayed in bungalow 94a for 4 nights as my father was in hospital and we had to move out of our hotel after 7 nights that we booked. It is the worst place I have ever stayed, it was filthy and smelt of cigarette smoke everywhere even the pillows on the bed. It smelt so bad we had to leave the windows open all of the time that we were there. There were plug sockets hanging off the wall, the fridge even on the lowest setting froze everything you put in there. The cleaner only left clean towels once in 4 days. The shower was all rusty with the door hanging off. When we complained the reception guy sent the cleaner round again who just sprayed air freshener everywhere. The roof terrace was full of beer bottle lids, cigarette butts and looked like it hadnt been swept for months. The pool bar opened now and again and was a rip off. We had previously stayed at the Liberty apartments round the corner that were less money and spotless. I would not recommend Santa Clara to my worst enemy, as it is a dirty, filthy place. DONT GO THERE!!!

My heart belongs to Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

We booked a 2 bedroom bungalow through Alpharooms, and arrived with not a little trepidation after reading some of the other reviews on here and on other review sites. What a surprise when we arrived. A lovely quiet street, a lovely reception with friendly, helpful staff and when we got to the bungalow were were very impressed.

We'd booked a 2 bed bungalow, but got given a 3 bed, but with one of the rooms locked off, so the rest of the house was much bigger than a regular 2 bed and there was loads of space. Great kitchen and living area. The furniture was typically package/wooden stuff, but it was comfy enough, loads of utensils etc if you wanted to eat in (which we did after we'd had long days out and were too tired to get ready and go out again) and the huge fridge freezer was plenty big enough for all the beer, pop and food we needed to keep refreshed and hydrated. It was brand new too, we were the first to have used it!

The pool areas were great, the shallower pool was ideal for younger families, and the bigger, deeper pool was much better for diving etc, both water and surrounding areas were very clean and well maintained. One of the best things about the larger, deeper pool, was that because we were there out of season, we just about had it to ourselves most days! Biggest private pool we've ever had!

Someone mentioned that the complex was mainly residential, which led to them feeling the need to stay quiet, even though they were on holiday. To be honest, that suited us fine, the whole place was very peaceful and laid back. We spent a couple of afternoons lying in the little garden that we had just enjoying the peace in the very warm sunshine.

Playa del Ingles was typically touristy, which isn't generally our thing when we go away on our own, but it was ideal for a teenager and an almost teenager. The kids really enjoyed the whole holiday (apart from the April Fools joke we played on them the day after we arrived when we made them think we had to go straight home again!) and both have said it was one of the best holidays they've ever had. The Maspalomas dunes were particularly well enjoyed, apart from the incredibly hot sand!

We wouldn't return to the famous Yumbo Centre if we went back. It's garishly horrible, although the drag show we saw in there (Ricky's) was genuinely hilarious! There were plenty of other CC's that were quieter and provided some cracking restaurants.

One word of advice to those who've hired a car. If you're self catering and want to save lots of money, do your shopping up in San Fernando, the urbanisation to the north of Playa del Ingles, above the motorway. There's the HiperDino in the shopping centre (great roast chickens), or the Mercadona over the road. Both are far far better value than the tourist supermarkets in Playa del Ingles itself.

Thoroughly enjoyed this one!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

I've been to Gran Canaria, many times and stayed in all different types of accommodation, some bad, but I've never complained or written a review, just got on with it, but Santa Clara, has to be the worst I've stayed in.

First off when plugging in a kettle we'd purchased the socket came away from the wall leaving all bare wires, same happened with another socket, the new sockets in the bungalow were no good for the two pronged plugs we'd purchased, so in all we could only use 2 sockets out of 6. Dangerous with kids.

The bathroom stank of mildew, and when using the shower if you hadn't washed within 3 minutes (if that) the water was freezing cold.

As for the beds, I thought I'd need back & hip transplants when I got home they were so hard and uncomfortable, it was like sleeping on bare boards.

4 days into our stay the electric went off, we checked the circuit to see if it had tripped, out, it hadn't. I went to reception and informed the receptionist, his reply, 'what do you want me to do', this went on for about an hour with him shrugging his shoulders, patting his lips, and smirking, in the end I said either get it fixed or move us into another bungalow. He had a good idea though, he 'phoned the owner of the bungalow and gave me the 'phone, I spoke not a word of Spanish, the owner not a word of English. he just took the [--]. I have to say the receptionist who replaced him was better.

As for the children's play area, an accident waiting to happen.

Although I didn't expect anything other than basic I wasn't prepared for vermin, and I'm not talking cockroaches. We were sitting having a cup of tea when a mouse ran across our feet and behind the cupboard, we found the hole we thought it came from and blocked it up, but then appeared the baby mouse that run into the bathroom and it took us 4 hours to catch. Reception thought it was funny.

The pool bar opened the day before we came home, from what we saw the service was very good, a nice, polite, helpful barman. He should've been in reception. lol

It appeared to be mainly residential so I suppose they're not that bothered about the bunglows hired out being kept in good condition.

We were in a bungalow that faced onto the road opposite hotels & bars, this didn't bother us with a 10 year old, but is no good for those with very young children/babies as one hotel had outside entertainment that started at 8.15 p.m and finished at midnight. So I'd advise anyone going to Santa Clara, with babies to ask for front bungalows.

But what can you do but make the best of it, which we did. As to going back, NO.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Derbyshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

Booked the accommodation with Thomas Cook (Hotels4u.com). Flight arranged separate. Booked a 2 bedroomed bungalow as staying with parents. Were in no 103. The site is mostly residential - locals living there permanently. Is difficult as you feel you have to be quiet at times, even though you are on holiday. This bungalow had hardly any sun and a small terrace with no garden. To be honest, the whole bungalow was dirty. Thick dust covered on the walls. Floors were dirty and mould on the walls especially in the bathroom .Mattresses were so thin there were uncomfortable, you could feel the slats on your back. Hardly any cooking utensils. No kettle, despite asking the guy on the daytime reception (who is not friendly at all it seems) I was told to boil water using a saucepan?? surely self catering expecting a kettle to make hot drinks is not unreasonable. The shower just sprayed like a tap and soon ran out of hot water, and leaked all over the bathroom floor. The bungalow was close to a busy shopping centre that might keep you awake at night time due to the noise from the bars. Pool loungers dated and uncomfortable.Maid service twice a week, towels changed once, but for what she did might as well as not bothered coming to clean it! Pool bar ok, but expensive. However you do get what you pay for with this accommodation it would seem, so it depends what you are looking for and how long you are staying. The general grounds are dated and in poor maintenance, but the pool area appeared in good condition and maintenance.
Do not use the SPAR shop in the Yumbo, staff are rude and obnoxious and talk in Spanish in a derogatory way about the English. Use the HiperDino on the same floor, much friendlier and cheaper. Also CasaJuan bar on the ground floor cheep and friendly.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Santa Clara Bungalows? Share your experiences!