“Wonderful hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Don Miguel

You added Hotel Riu Don Miguel to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Don Miguel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida de Tirajana 30 | Playa de Ingles- Gran Canaria, 35100 Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 139 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I arrived back from the Riu Don Miguel Hotel last night. Had such a lovely holiday and was sad to leave such a nice hotel. I would definitely rate it higher than a 3 star hotel, it's the nicest 3 star hotel I have ever stayed at.
One of the biggest credits to the hotel is the amazing staff, each one going out of their way to make sure you have the best holiday. The bar staff were always asking how you were and what you'd been up to that day and just making sure you were having a nice time. In the restaurant at dinner you were always welcomed in and the staff looked after you well. There were staff working around the pool all day making sure that the area was tidy, the pool was clean and helping people to put up umbrellas ect. Also, the bar staff waited on you around the pool bringing drinks directly to your sun bed, which was a lovely touch that I wouldn't have expected from a 3 star hotel.

FOOD
Food was all buffet style and I found it to be varied and of good quality. At breakfast there was continental breakfast, fried breakfasts, many different breads, cereals and a selection of fruits. Tea coffee and juices were also included with breakfast. At dinner time you were allocated either 6.30pm or 8.30pm, we were allocated 6.30pm but spoke to the head waiter before our first meal and were able to change to 8.30pm. You are allocated a table and sit there for your stay, at dinner you have to pay for drinks but this is expected when staying on a half board basis, they just put them on your room tab and you pay at the end of your stay. There is a lot to choose from at dinner, always some salads, pizzas, pasta, meats, fish, a rice dish, chips and some vegetables which vary day to day along with other dishes that are varied across the week. There is also a barbecue outside which has a couple of different meats on offer each night cooked in front of you.There is also a wide range of desserts, including ice cream and cheese and crackers!

POOL
The pool area is lovely and well kept. As mentioned before there is always someone about ensuring the area is clean and everyone is satisfied. Getting a sun bed was not a problem, and the pool area wasn't in the sun until at least 9.30am so there was no rush to get up early. Some people were reserving sun beds from about 9am onwards and then not returning to the sun bed until gone midday, this was not a problem as it was only the minority of people, but if others felt the need to start doing it it could become a bigger problem! The pool was lovely and refreshing and the sun beds in the pool were a different touch. Also, the jacuzzi was nice and cool for relaxing in. There is no daytime entertainment around the pool which I thought was perfect as it lead to a relaxing atmosphere.

BAR
In the daytime the bar serves drinks to you and will bring them to your sun bed around the pool. It also has a menu serving a few lighter meals from around 1-3pm, and you can buy ice creams all day too. The bar is lovely and the staff wonderful and, in the evening they also wait on you bringing the drinks to your table, there is a good selection of drinks and lots of different cocktails to choose from. The entertainment was not the best, most days it was a man and woman duet singing which became a bit repetitive, but when there was something different on it was a nice change. I did not find this a problem as most people go to a bar to socialise anyway so the entertainment didn't really matter to me, but I can see some people would not be satisfied with this.

ROOM
The room was clean and out room was quite spacious in comparison to a friends room which I saw. There was a hairdryer in the bathroom and complimentary toiletries. The maid cleaned the room everyday and changed the towels and bedding if required. There was a mini fridge in the room which was perfect. Also, there was air-conditioning and a ceiling fan. I am not one to watch TV on holiday but I know it bothers some people, I did therefore flick through it one day and there were many channels but only a few were in English.

OTHER
There was 90 minutes of free wifi each day per person in the reception area, which had to be used in on session, there were also computers that were €1 for 15 minutes of use. The wifi was quite slow at times as a lot of people were using it but it was adequate.
Reception staff were friendly, helpful and assisted us in getting taxis.
There is a shower room to use on your day of departure if you have a flight that is later than the checkout time of 11pm and a luggage room.
The hotel is literally a couple of minutes walk from the Yumbo shopping centre (i found the shortcut on my last day!) but even the longer way round it was still very close. The Kasbah centre was a bit further but still not longer than a ten minute walk.
The beach was a 10 minute walk, when you come out of the bar side gate turn left and just keep walking, but there was also a complimentary bus service to the beach.
There was also two supermarkets just across the road from the hotel.
If you want to travel around the island Amadores beach is absolutely beautiful, with a Crystal clear sea, its around a 15 minute drive away near Puerto Rico.

Overall this hotel was brilliant and I would definitely return, and am considering re-booking again already. I would like to thank all of the staff for making me feel so welcomed and who helped me to enjoy my holiday that little more. On a final note I think it deserves a 4 star rating as I feel that it is much better than a 3 star rating!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My partner and I just come back after 7 nights at Riu don Miguel and to be honest I have to say it's a very very nice 3 star hotel.
The staff is friendly and very helpful and the rooms are very clean, they have air conditioning and a little fridge which believe me helps a lot and that is a plus! though I found them a bit small, we had a room facing the main road which was a shame but still wasn't noisy at all.
Food was nice, we were half board, and it can be said it was above average, There is an option for a la carte dinner that we didn't have because as I said the food was nice and it was plenty of choices, specially salads very refreshing after a hot day, plus the choices of desserts.
Overall Riu Don Miguel is a stress free environment, where you just can chill out and enjoy a night with some entertainment in the bar with live music, while we were there was quite nice.
Special mention to Herbili always kind and who made us feel welcome at breaskfast and dinner time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is no 3 star hotel this is 5 star !! I only just got back on Tuesday from GC. I'm soo soo upset I want to go back !!! This hotel is lovely! Staff are very nice! It's bloody clean! The service is great!! We stayed in 3rd Floor we are rooms where cery nice. Delicious Breakfast buffet many selections! dinner was alright abit tastless like no seasons at all could be better! their swimming pool area plays the most lowerest music ever i can actually hear my foot steps thats the only not so good thing, cus you can almist feel people starring too much! I only when went with one friend friend and enjoy it that much! It's in a good location! The clubs where amazing free drinks happy hour. Cabs where cheap like €2.25 that is like £1 sumtin. We done 4 water sports for €59 cheap right from a lady called Maria on the side if the hotel! We attended the boat party which was jokes loved it ! Loved it so much met a lot if funny people out there too :). We only took £200 with us for spending money and that was enough! :)

• Stayed July 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel is certianly one of the best hotels i have been to!!.
This is Adults only which was a bonus.
There is a good selection on the food which is buffet aswell as good selection on the salad.
All staff that work at this hotel are fantastic and are very polite!
Location wise- its less than 10 minutes walk to the sandy beach, less than 2 minutes walk to subway sandwiches and british pub/restaurant and less than 1 minute away from the well known yumbo centre, which is a fantastric place to have a good night.

Would deffintley be returning to this hotel next year!!!!!

WOULD RECCOMMEND!!!!!!!!!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Lovely clean hotel, friendly staff and very welcoming.
Always there to assist as I am disabled my family were given a table in the restaurant nearest the food!
We had an upgraded room which was superb. This was purly the hotel that gave us this and we didnt complain.
Short walk to the beach and shops and loads of hipper dinos everywhere (supermarkets)!
Excellent bus service if needed to and from the beach.
Large pool and lovely warm waterfall to get your head under to refresh yourself.
Only problem I had with the hotel was the 'odd couples' there and you couldnt get away from them.
The gym was small and too hot to use it as it opened right on breakfast time so it was a choice between having a workout or having breakfast!
Rooms were kept clean, the maids did an excellent job my dad tipped them before we left.
Always got a sunbed no problem by midday and the pool man was always around to help with parsols etc.
I did find the entertainment very noisy and disturbing when I was trying to get to sleep so every night was a late night no matter how tired you were wether you wanted to listern to it or not!
I would definatly like to go back again just so I can eat more of their fab desserts!

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my sister for 2 weeks in June.
We had room 342 which overlooked the pool and was quiet enough at night. The room was spotlessly clean.
The pool was great, no problems with finding a sunbed and the courtesy bus to the beach was handy (even if it is only a 15 minute walk).
The restaurant staff were fantastic, especially Ana Lopez and Asis. I am gluten free and they brought me bread, muffins and cakes in the morning and allowed me to order food for the evening, pizza pasta whatever I fancied. Nothing was too much trouble.
As two under 24s we were out numbered in age but the local nightlife was great. A short walk of 10 minutes to the clubs and bars and a cheap taxi of €2.50 back.
Will definately be returning!

• Stayed June 2013
Caerdydd, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We have just returned from a fantastic stay at Don Miguel. Spotlessly clean with comfortable rooms and very friendly and helpful staff. Wide choice of food at breakfast and dinner. I celebrated my birthday while there, at dinner i was given a candle for the table and a glass of bubbly for four of us,all without any prompting.I thought this was a lovely touch. We will def be back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Don Miguel? Share your experiences!