Riu Don Miguel is a very, very nice hotel, and its location is very good, whether you want to go to the beach, San Fernando, Maspalomas and Yumbo centre.
To go to the beach, you take the bus parked diagonally opposite the hotel entrance. You can walk 15 -minutes, slowly, down Afereces Provicionales. Pick up a coffee and fresh cakes at the Zipf Backerei on the way down on your right. In the evening you take your coffee on Ciao Ciao on the beach, with live music. You can also have a dinner at Gorro Blanco, it is a good place.
You can also reach the beach by going diagonally through Yumbo Centre, stopping for juice at the Italian cafe or Cafe de Paris. Go out to your right, take a left on the corner and continue, passing the tall hotell Bohemia on your left. Then you will get to the promenade, and the steps to the beach. A taxi to the beach is 2,20 Euro.
To go to Maspalomas, you go down to the next roundabout, and the bus stop is on your left. Eat fresh fish in a restaurant there.
Rooms: We asked for a quiet room facing the pool in 4th floor. But our room, 403, was not quiet, the door faced the gigantic roundabout. Not recommend for light sleepers, particularly at 7 am when the morning traffic is hectic. It was also very very cold in the room, and it seems A/C is not working, it didnt produce any heat. There is a fridge in the room, but you need your own boiler.
The receptionsts are polite and helpful, and after some days we were changed to 240, with pool view, no wind, sun from 1 -5 pm, and quiet location on the backside. Very, very nice, only you will hear the sounds from the plumbing, it is really loud. The best rooms are from 43-49 in all floors,particularly 3rd and 4th. It is not easy to get a room with sun and quiet. Be very particular about what you desire.
The rooms are very nice, and a great selection of TV channels, and CANAL + movies in original language, OMG, so great! The beds are comfortable, and the pillows. Only they have these blue blankets that I needed 3 extra from to not get cold at night. We ordered a king size bed, but got to single ones.
The food is superb, and lots of nice vegetables, and the service in the dining hall is perfect. The staff is very friendly and hospitable. My husband and I got a table all to ourselves, that is recommendable. Even after 5 days I did not feel the food became boring, and that goes for both breakfast and dinner. Remember to tip these people, they work so hard and deserve it. The same goes for the cleaning ladies, the cleaning is immaculate.
Pool: Little bit cold until afternoon, but always enough sunchairs. 21 degrees in water. Cold yacuzzi, and could not find table tennis there.
Other guests were very nice and friendly, Germans, English, French, Gay couples, it was ok and a variety, but mainly adults over 35. Very special hotel shop with only mens wear. Strange.
Internet: free in reception, otherwise 6 euro per day, or 20 per week. We paid 15 000 NOK for the trip, 6000 was for the flight.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Playa del Ingles. 4-Storey building. 1.5 Km from the beach and seafront promenade. Complimentary bus service to the beach. 300 M from the city centre. 200 M from a shopping centre. 30 Km from the airport. 200 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia and Despegar.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Don Miguel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Don Miguel Hotel Playa Del Ingles
- Hotel Riu Don Miguel Playa Del Ingles, Gran Canaria