Firstly let me state that this is a very good hotel
The hotel is large (we were on the 7th floor) with good facilities. Our bedroom was big and spotlessly clean. The entire hotel is well maintained and also clean. Dining is buffet style and the food is of a very good quality with a large choice - you will find something to your taste. However, as the hotel is so large, the dining experience is not relaxed with so many people wandering around the buffet at the same time.
Overall we had a very nice stay.
Now on to the "all inclusive" deal. You need to be very careful as not everything is covered.
Wine - only wine by the glass is included. At most all inclusive hotels you can have wine by the bottle and having to ask waiters for another glass interrupts your meal. Wine by the bottle is available but only at a 50% discount.
Beer - only one beer is included, a local brew called Tropical. Other beers are at a 50% discount.
Cocktails - most cocktails are included but oddly Mojitos are not. You guessed it - you get a 50% discount.
Snacks - these are available throughout the day but are burgers, hot-dogs, pizza, etc served from a hot buffet in the outside bar. Snacks off the menu are not included and some are only offered with a 20% discount.
Bars - after 11.30pm drinks are no longer included and are charged for. When you consider that the main evening show doesn't start until 10.00pm this seems a bit stingy.
Minibar - not included at all. Everywhere else I have stayed on an all-inclusive basis included a stocked mini-bar. For instance Sandals resorts re-stock the bar every other day with wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks. What difference does it make if you want to drink in your room rather than the bar? I quote from the hotel's note that is eft in your room, "In order to improve our services, we have implemented a personalised mini-bar service NOT INCLUDED IN THE ALL INCLUSIVE REGIME". I quote using their use of capitals. How does this improve their services?
Room safe - an essential thing to use but it will cost you 2.50€ a day. This is just a rip-off.
Gym - we looked forward to using the gym facilities but they are only included in the all inclusive deal from 1.00pm to 2.00pm (lunchtime!!) or at a cost of 8.00€ each visit.
Soft drinks - "ordinary" orange juice is included but not fresh - the canaries certainly does not have a shortage of oranges so a rather bizarre rule.
Other point to note is that , as usual, there are no English language TV channels except for Sky News and a cartoon channel. Loads of German channels though. I can never understand why this is always the case - are there strict rules governing UK channels?
Overall a very nice hotel but they need to fully embrace the all-inclusive ethos.
Also be aware that the hotel is on a hill and so the walk back can be tiring on a hot day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in San Agustin, Gloria Palace San Agustin Thalasso & Hotel is a 4-star establishment built in 1989 and fully refurbished in 2007. The spacious hotel has sea views, top quality cuisine, facilities specially designed for families, a thalassotherapy centre and family-oriented, friendly service within an atmosphere of a family business. In 1998 the Talasoterapia Canarias centre was opened, in an emblematic building consisting of more than 6.000m2, to provide health and wellbeing services. A real oasis of comfort. A dream within your reach. You can be sure of fine food and exceptional service at the panoramic a la carte restaurant Gorbea, which specialises in Basque cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Gloria Palace San Agustin Thalasso & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gloria Palace San Agustin Hotel San Agustin
- Gloria Palace Hotel San Agustin
- San Agustin Gloria Palace
- Gloria Palace San Agustin Thalasso & Hotel Gran Canaria