“Two weeks of Briliance” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dunas Don Gregory

You added Dunas Don Gregory to your Saves list
Dunas Don Gregory
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Las Dalias 11, 35100 San Agustin, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in San Agustin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portree, United Kingdom
“Two weeks of Briliance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Back a week ago after two weeks in this charming hotel. Swimming every day in the sea before breakfast and before evening dinner, (hotel pool very nice too but when one has the sea 90 seconds from your second floor bedroom what more could one ask?). Food especially salads and fruit couldn't have been bettered. Staff always very friendly, helpful and did their utmost to make our stay memorable. Maitre D's n the restaurants always professional welcoming and helpful. Special mention of Christoph, Christian and Maria. Hiring a car for some of our break enabled exploration of this fascinating mini-continent.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, (we don't) choose your room carefully.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dunashotels, Director General at Dunas Don Gregory, responded to this review, December 6, 2012

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your holiday in our hotel.

It is great that you like the location of our hotel s much.

It is a pleasure to pass on your praises to our staff.

I would love to welcome you at Dunas Don Gregory again.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the location, which is right on the beach. We booked and requested sea views although all rooms are supposed to have a sea view. When we arrived we were given keys to a room (127) just below ground level, with views of the garden, but yes if you jumped up or stood on a chair you could see the sea!! The room had a peculiar smell in it and the bathroom had a similar smell. I complained and the very helpful female receptionist said we could move rooms the following day, which we did, to the fifth floor (511). She told us all rooms were the same size, but they weren't. Our new room was much bigger, brighter and with no smells, plus we now had the sea view overlooking the pool that we had requested.

The food was very good with lots of choice, but not one of the plates, dishes, displays had any covering whatsoever, so flies had a field day!! The staff in the restaurant seemed a very unhappy bunch as none of them managed a smile between them all week. In their favour, they were run off their feet as there wasn't enough of them.

The bar staff were a bunch of miseries too, apart from one lady, who was a delight and could speak English very well, about the only one that could in this hotel.

Room Tip: I was told you couldn't choose your room, as they were allocated by the staff at the Hotel. I d...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dunashotels, Director General at Dunas Don Gregory, responded to this review, November 29, 2012

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor.

It is nice to hear, that you like the location of our hotel.

I would like to apologize, that for the inconveniences regarding your room.

I am very pleased, that you liked our food, thanks for the hint regarding the covers, we treat this criticism very serious.

I am sorry if the staff was not as friendly as they are supposed to be. This is not how the management expects them to be, because friendliness is really important for us.

I hope that you have still enjoyed your vacation with us and I would be happy if I could welcome you again at our hotel.

Manager Don Gregory****
Runcorn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Booked with Saga all inclusive in June. Early morning outward flight with Monarch from Manchester-early evening return. Two weeks before we go Saga advised flights now changed to
1430 take off and arrive Back after midnight, Very annoyed. Arrived Manchester - flight now delayed to 1600hours. No explanation offered.
Many weeks before contacted hotel requesting high level room-given 3rd floor above outside bar-good view of trees and canvas roof.Fortunately an elderly couple who had been allocated 7th floor offered to swop. Glad we did.
The buffet layout and one manned food station was the smallest I have ever experienced..Saga have only very recently used this hotel and it is obvious they have no influence over the service provided. Majority of the guests were German and their food needs were very well catered for.
Breakfast selection was very poor - cereals were of poor quality, dried fruit of similar quality and no variation whatsoever for cooked breakfasts - cold undercooked bacon which if had been cooked properly could have been very nice, beans in watered down tomato sauce, and fried eggs or omelettes. No variation over the seven day period-fried leftover potatoes or tomatoes would have been an immediate improvement What made matters worse was this food was always cold apart from the eggs.
Lunchtime and evening salads were superb and the choice of fish was excellent. Most other meals presented in heated trivets were usually lukewarm. Sweets and cheese were of a reasonable standard. The majority of my fellow travellers were extremely disappointed with the quality and presentation of the food. The management are aware because they have identified the need to completely redesign their catering facilities. The addition of microwaves in the dining room would be an immediate improvement. This hotel has managed to survive with such poor catering facilities but the influx of Saga guests and their expectations has identified the areas that need to be addressed. There appears to be two standards of chef supervision in the running of the catering facilities - 5* for the salads and fish and 2* for the hot food.
All the staff were friendly, helpful and extremely efficient.
The main bar inside the hotel was only opened on the last night of our stay only because it rained.. Location, amenities and car hire was up to our expectations.
Our new room on 7th flloor had excellent view but steer clear of any below 3.
Tony the Saga guide was always very helpful.

Room Tip: 4 and above if you can.
Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Don Gregory guest,

Thanks for your comment on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry, that we could not satisfy you with our food. We have clients from many countries of the world and we try to full fill all their wishes. I am happy to hear that you did like our salads and fish, I will show your comment to our chef and we will talk about solutions for the the hot dishes which you would judge with only 2 stars.

I am glad to hear, that you liked our location and that your room in on the 7th floor was to your satisfaction.

I hope that we can welcome you at Don Gregory again.

Manager Dunas Don Gregory ****
ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Just back from a week spent here. Had a suite which was on 8th floor. It was clean and spacious enough--not in any way luxurious--more like appartment accomodation. TV was tiny with 2 english language stations-BBC news & CNN. Was HB and I could not complain about the food as it was fresh and plentiful. I didnt notice any difference in the themed nights and wonder how long it might take to get really fed up of food. They just dont know how to make tea--always cold-- so we just started to take coffee. Tea making facilities in rooms would be very welcome. Staff were helpful but a little bit better English would have been a bonus.
Clients of the hotel were elderly ( 60-75) and Germans, Scandinavians were in the majority by a long way. English about 5%. Irish 0.5%. Entertainment was by way of keyboard players who hadnt a note in their heads but made for a few good laughs.
Last but by no means least-the beach was fabulous and by far the most appealing aspect of the entire holiday --nice gentle waves with the odd big wave had us behaving like children. Worth the visit---YES.
Would I go back-- Probably.
Stephen --Ireland

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to hear, that you enjoyed our food, we offer these themed nights because we have many guests from different countries and we try to full fill all their wishes.

I will pass on your praises to our staff, it is also great that you have enjoyed the beach in front of the hotel that much.

I am sorry that you did not like our live music.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again at our hotel.

Manager don Gregory****
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have just returned from a saga holiday. I travelled with a friend and we stayed for 1 week.The location of this hotel is fabulous. It is on the beach with uninterrupted sea views from both the bedrooms and terrace. The beach is very clean and swept daily by a tractor.(therefore expect some noise) The sand is dark and the sea can have strongish waves.
We had rooms on the 8th floor. I had previously requested these as I wanted a good view and they did not disappoint. I enjoyed sitting on the balcony where i got the sun in the morning. The room was much the same as other Spanish hotels that i have stayed in .There were 2 beds, TV fridge chairs and table, with a table & 2 chairs on the balcony.The bathroom was a good size with a shower over the bath, also a bidet, and a long useful shelf for toiletries. The toiletries provided were very poor, awful shampoo, and shower gel, soap .Also I can never get enough light in these hotels. I asked for lightbulbs to be replaced. They did replace a spotlight by the bed, but the lamp on the dressing table remained useless.
The public rooms were very tired. Very low scruffy sofas, some card tables and a very nice grand piano. It was a pity that it was never played while i was there. The entertainment was outside and it was rather cool on one of the evenings.
The entertainment consisted mainly of a keyboard player, except twice a week when dancers or acrobats were brought in. I have had much better elsewhere and found it a bit disappointing.
Breakfast was the usual buffet. The fresh fruit was a bit boring for me. No pineapple(except from a tin ) or passion fruit, and the melon tended to be the watermelon type.The omelettes were poor, with no real choice of filling, and the pancakes were cooked and left on the counter to go cold. There was no syrup, only honey as an accompaniment. Getting a hot plate proved very difficult. Is this a cultural thing? Evening meals were better and there was variety, but rather too much pork which was served nearly every day, but the fish was good and so were the salads. Don't expect any vegetables, a few tinned carrots maybe. there were NO HAND GEL DISPENSERS I really felt that as many guests were handling the serving tongs that this was a sad omission, however we were lucky and had no upset stomachs. The staff were very helpful but we got the feeling that there were not enough of them especially in the bar. They were trying really hard to keep up.
There were plenty of sunbeds. It was rather cramped by the pool, but we went on the roof above the restaurant where it was very pleasant. The sunbeds had no mattresses, but were quite comfortable. The pool was nice, but rather small. However it was never crowded.
We stayed on an all inclusive basis and there were plenty of included drinks to please me. Quite a few cocktails were included as well as wine, beer. spirits, liquours,tea coffee and water.This option was worth having as cocktails were 5 euros a time. We walked along the road to check out the Costa Canaria hotel. It too is in a lovely location but the seaviews are mainly obscured by trees. You would need to be right at the top to avoid this. It was smarter and larger with a lovely garden, but on balance we felt that we were pleased to be staying at the Don Gregory for the lovely views, and it was smaller.

Room Tip: high floor to get the view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dunashotels, Director General at Dunas Don Gregory, responded to this review, November 23, 2012

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor.

I am happy to hear, that you have enjoyed your holiday with us.

Great, that you were satisfied with the location of our hotel.

I would like to apologize for all the inconveniences regarding the light in your room.

We have taken very good note of your criticism and we will consider changes regarding our breakfast and our evening animation.

It is great that you have enjoyed your holiday with us.

I hope that we see us at Don Gregory soon.

Romford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is location - right on the beach - and all the rooms have a sea view with sun all day - the sunrises were spectacular. Also handy for a small shopping centre opposite and a promenade to Maspalomas, Playa del Ingles to the right and San Augustin to the left - a slightly more rugged path.
Rooms are quite spacious but in need of renovation as are some of the other public areas. Food was ok but the restaurant was very crowded - waiting staff were hard pressed to cope - and the buffet/cooking areas are very badly planned and not really user friendly - it all needs re-arranging so that it functions smoothly.
The pool area is well maintained but crowded. There are sunbeds and parasols and these can also (for a fee) be found just outside on the beach. There is a pool bar and in the evenings, this terrace is where the entertainment takes place - live music ( well, taped music and a bloke with a keyboard - 2 very similar entertainers - one made chicken noises) and there were also different dance acts - quite good - acrobats and fashion shows - everything quite low key. The animation man during the day provided a variety of activities but there wasn't much for children - but there were very few there anyway.
Handy for buses but the location is what really makes it. I think the staff need to make a bit more effort, particularly at the poolbar - the women were fine but the men seemed to have more important things to do rather than serve the customers!

Room Tip: Anything from 7 or 8 but avoid lower floors and the penthouses have bedrooms on an upper level and a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Don Gregory guest,

Thank you for your comment on tripadvisor.

I am glad to hear that you like the location of our hotel and the quality of our food.

Thanks for the hint regarding the re- arranging of the buffet, we will consider your idea.

I am sorry, that you did not like our animation and the service at the pool bar. We try to improve our service and therefore we are thank-full for your criticism.

I hope that we can welcome your in our hotel again.

York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Food good, but older people, all European, 1 Bar, 1 pool, no privacy if that's what you want.
Not 4 star, 3 star
The district is not great near road, although on beach- lots of runners on the front.
The hotel is very ugly but good views over the Beach

Room Tip: Make sure not ground floor you won't have a view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dunashotels, Director General at Dunas Don Gregory, responded to this review, November 16, 2012

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor.

I am would like to apologize if we could not meet your expectations.

I am glad to hear, that you enjoyed our food.

We would be happy if you would come again and see how and if we have improved.

Hotelmanager

Been to Dunas Don Gregory? Share your experiences!