“Stair fatigue!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Jandia

You added Hotel Riu Palace Jandia to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Jandia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa de Jandia | Jandia- Fuerteventura, 35625 Morro del Jable, Pajara, Fuerteventura, Spain   |
Hotel packages
Certificate of Excellence 2014
England
“Stair fatigue!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Having just returned from this hotel, my legs are getting the feeling back in them!! In all the hotels I have stayed in over the years, I have never walked up and down so many steps. We were unfortunate to be on level 1 in D block, where there was a severe absence of lifts, so going to or from our room meant the negotiation of at least 37 steps. If you walked down to the promenade I gave up counting!

Having said all that , the Palace Jandia is a great hotel. Food, staff, views all more or less perfect. I have to agree that the food could be hit and miss, and for most of the meat you would need your own teeth, but there was always a good variety and it was always hot. For those of you who like to start with alcohol early, there is Cava at breakfast every day.

The entertainment was a bit like the food------hit and miss. The duo, who were on 6 nights in the week were good but the acts that were brought in were certainly stealing a living.

The rooms were excellent. Clean and well presented. Comfortable beds and very large bathrooms with a corner bath. Fairly big balcony with comfortable seats rather than the usual plastic garden chairs! Wonderful sea view, and the sound of the waves sent you to sleep very quickly.

In conclusion a great hotel, in a good position for the shops and promenade, and we would go again like a shot if we could be sure of a room on the third or fourth floor of D block, which would mean a lot fewer steps. I am told by those in the know, that if you wish to make a specific room location request, then it has to be done 8 weeks before you travel as the best ones get taken up very early.

Book it and enjoy. Loose a few pounds walking the stairs, and admire the views.

Room Tip: Book one near a lift 8 weeks prior to travel.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Just returned from a very relaxing week at Riu Palace Jandia, great peaceful location, very friendly professional staff, good variety of food - buffet style- both at breakfast & dinner. Food quality varied but on the whole was pretty good. Biggest drawback - the many stairs- the hotel is built into a hillside. So there are many levels- not suitable for anyone with a mobility problem, but if you want a quiet, peaceful break it's well worth it- evening entertainment is somewhat dire.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lift
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We spent xmas at the Riu Palace, it was everything we hoped for and expected. We had a large room with a side sea view on the 3rd floor which was very comfortable and well furnished. We know the area well and had decided on staying in a hotel rather than an apartment because of the xmas period. It was a good decision, the food at the Riu was excellent, so much choice for breakfast and dinner. (We were half board). You really could not fault it. The beaches in this area are wonderful and you can walk for miles which we enjoy. The staff as mentioned in other reviews are very friendly and helpful, we will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed for a week of solitude in March. What I liked:
- Very friendly and "correct and proper" staff.
- Good food with many healthy options.
- Large standard room with an ocean-facing balcony and view. No noise! Best room ever.
- Nice pool area with NO animators and just soft background music. What a relief!
- Nice bar area where you are free to sit and smoke (for example).
- Awesome location right on the beautiful beach.
- Also in easy walking distance of shopping, pharmacy, etc.

What was not great for me:
- I was alone, which was the whole point of my trip, but the formal dining room was full of couples. I mean I saw NO ONE else who was solo and I only saw ONE child the whole time I was there. I felt self-conscious. Clearly this was my problem, not caused by anybody else. But this place was so full of hetero couples (average age maybe 55) that I think almost anyone would feel the way I did.
- It's been said in other reviews, and I'll repeat it: The coffee was terrible. If you need good coffee, take your own equipment & coffee.
- My bed was rock hard and the pillows were weird. I like a firm mattress, but this was ridiculous. I asked for a mattress topper, which was delivered immediately. After that I slept fine.
- No wifi in rooms. Only in lobby. But you're on the beach -- you can take a break from your gadgets, right?

To sum up: Five stars for couples. Fewer stars if you're going solo or (heaven forbid) with lively children.

Tip: The water's cold, but you can actually snorkel nearby. Walk south along the beach for about 5 minutes. Right where you start seeing rocks sticking out of the water is where you want to go in. I saw maybe a dozen types of fish and small jellyfish. It wasn't like Egypt or Hawaii but worth a look. Morning's best.
Later I tried a bit further south, where there were more rocks, but for some reason that was a complete bust.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We booked here for my 50th Birthday and we were very pleased. The hotel was lovely. Service good and staff very friendly.. There was an excellent choice at breakfast and in the evening..They even remembered my birthday and left wine in the room and at the table...and a birthday candle.The manager came and wished me Happy Birthday personally...I felt really spoilt. We would book here again. The location is fabulous ,right on the beach....Lovely!!!!

Room Tip: The D block rooms seem to have the best sea view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Great location overlooking Jandia beach , Rooms very large with steps down to a separate sitting room , great staff , beware that its built on a cliff so stairs everywhere . Fellow guests were mostly middle aged germans , hotel pool are was very quiet which was great , decent pool , no problem getting sunbed although best ones go early . We went B&B as we like to eat out but we did try the buffet a couple of times , it was ok but no better then similar hotels we have stayed in , breakfast again was pretty standard . We paid extra for a sea view room and also emailed requesting high floor in D block based on TA advice , we were allocated D305 which had great views over the beach . The hotel is very good but a touch old fashioned maybe ? , i don't think it would be suitable for kids . But overall a good class traditional spanish hotel with very good staff

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Hotel staff are Excellent and the hotel is kept clean in all areas. It is showing its age and you expect to get internet access in the rooms and a better television selection for the price you pay to stay here.The food we found to be mediocre compared to other Rui Palace Hotels.We travelled with Thomson Holidays but we did not receive our fruit and water.We suggest that you check and keep all receipts (bar and restaurant) and check your bill before paying when you check out (charged for items that were not ours and we had to prove that they were not ours)
A point about travelling to Jandia from the airport .........some of the taxi drivers do not like going from the airport to Janida and you might get a ride from Hell !!!!!!.

Room Tip: Book sea view with pm sun on balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Jandia? Share your experiences!