“Old and in need of updating” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Jandia Mar Aparthotel

You added Sol Jandia Mar Aparthotel to your Saves list
Sol Jandia Mar Aparthotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bentejuy 8, 35626 Morro del Jable, Pajara, Fuerteventura, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Morro del Jable
Malton, United Kingdom
“Old and in need of updating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

The Sol Jandia Mar is situated in a good location and is opposite the beach.

On our arrival which was during the hours of darkness we were checked in by Junior who was friendly and laid back. We were not given the room allocated initially due to a missing safety deposit key and were given room 216 instead in block A. Trying to find this room was proven very difficult due to the poor lighting, numerous cats and staircases. Once in our room we found it to smell uncleaned and as soon as we entered the bedroom my daughter and i started to itch. There was no way we were staying in that room as we didn't think it had seen a cleaner for sometime and the amount of cats outside was unnerving in the dark. We hauled our suitcases back to reception and requested another room which was accommodated without even a raised eyebrow. We were given d201 which would be no good for anyone who didnt do stairs as it was up a spiral concrete staircase which kept the cats away at least.

Whilst the second room was identical to the other it was at least cleaner, we unpacked. The rooms are adequate but much in need of renovation and despite the fairly new units in the kitchenette we couldn't use even a glass as it was over run with tiny ants which started to move into the bathroom until i purchased a spray to kill them all with! Hot countries bring ants and creepy crawlies we know but. They can at least be controlled with a good clean and a bit of care and attention to detail.

On the first day one of the plastic chairs on the balcony broke whilst i was sitting on it, my husband reported it to reception who, showed no regard as to my welfare and said that they would send another chair up - it never arrived! I am not a large lady and anyone elderly or larger could have been far worse than me.

The beds were changed once during our stay and the towels twice but the interior cleaning leaves much to be desired. We observed the cleaning one day as it was cloudy and we sat on the balcony. It was very poor and little cleaning products were used. The maid was grumpy also.

The reception areas have recently been modernised and whilst they are lovely they do not reflect in anyway the rest of the hotel which is very early 80s i would say which has been used every-week since and not touched.

I think the hotel would benefit from more cleaning staff. We didn't find the reception staff apart from our arrival day very helpful or happy to help.

The age range during our visit was over 65s and mainly german and dutch visitors, i think we may have been the only english.

I wouldnt recommend staying at this hotel at all, it needs renovating desperately.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
SOL JANDIA MAR F, Gerente at Sol Jandia Mar Aparthotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Firstly ,we would like to thank you for your feedbeck, helping us to identify problems and make improvements.

I would like to apologise on behalf of my Hotel team for not meeting your expectations. Our objective is to always offer the best service to our guests and in this case we have not accomplished our aim.

We are looking forward to you visiting us again soon. We will be delighted to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
UK and Worldwide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I wanted a place of my own for a week in Morro Jable, where I could come and go as I pleased, and sort out my own food at times to suit me. I found the Sol Jandia Mar, and it pretty well fitted the bill. I had a good-sized living room with a sliding glass door onto my own patio. There was a good-sized double bedroom that was very quiet. The bathroom was fine too. The kitchenette was small, more or less fitting into a corridor, but it was fine once I figured out how to work the cooker. Handy tip... read the instructions! Although the apartment was cleaned almost every day I was there, there was a constant stream of microscopically small ants all over the kitchenette. As these didn't seem to bite, and were only really noticeable if you went looking for them, I counted this as only a minor negative. In fact, due entirely to my own campaign against them, there were a few thousand less of them by the time I left. Although they had a pool, disco, restaurant, bar and all sorts of other things, all I was interested in was the apartment, so I can't comment about the extras. The only extra I used was internet access, which is chargeable, and which really only works around the spacious lobby area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We are very glad you enjoyed your holiday at Sol Jandia Mar. Our guests are our priority and meeting your expectations is our main objective

we are so appreciative that you have taken the time to tell us about your experience.

We will pay close attention to your comments and look forward to having you to stay again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have just spent a week at Sol Jandia Mar Apartmenthotel.
When I got there late in the evening another new guest was just complaining about the dirty bathtub that, in his view, had not been cleaned for ages ..... well, well .....
I finally got my key and went to my apartment. My advice - a torch will be very helpful to find your apartment if you arrive there after sunset -.it is really dark there and there are lots of stairs .....
I entered my apartment and noticed that the bathroom looked very dated and to make matters worse thick black hair everywhere (on the floor, toilet, bathtub).
The bathtub looked dirty - I guess it had not been cleaned for months. Therefore, I guess that that must be a common problem over there.
On the next day the apartment was cleaned - but not the bathtub! Finally, I tried to clean it myself and after a while it looked 60% better. On the next day I left a note for the cleaning lady to please clean it and I guess that she did the best she could do - it looked even better (but far from perfect).
They provide towels but not more than necessary (bring a beach towel). They also provide bathroom tissue - but not enough. Therefore, you'd better buy some just in case ...
If you are a smoker you will like it a lot. A lot of heavy elderly chain smokers enjoy the swimming pool area. If you don't like inhaling fumes you will not be happy. Maybe there should be a smoking area for those who can't live without cigars (!!!) and cigarettes - an area where nobody else will be forced to inhale the smoke (it is really unpleasant).
Neverless, Sol Jandia Mar Apartmenthotel is quite nice - if you are not longing for a luxury resort.
Good location, very friendly staff at the reception, wonderful breakfast selection, and very nice flowers and plants everywhere. My compliments to the gardener - great job.
If they renovated and modernized the apartments (some paint, modern furniture, better fridge, a microwave) and would be better at cleaning the apartments it would be a perfect place. Therefore, I will return (with bathtub cleaner in my suitcase ;-) )

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
SOL JANDIA MAR F, Gerente at Sol Jandia Mar Aparthotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Mr. Bi Q

on the other hand, please except our apologies for not acheiving your expectations on this occasion.
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Just back from our third October stay at the Sol Jandia Mar, and it was as good as the previous two. Allocated an excellent sea view appartment, which was again in good condition and cleaned regularly.

Reception was again efficient - Nicole deserves a special mention - works very long hours!

Some minor works ongoing in reception area to upgrade which had no effect on our stay at all.

Weather was again really good - although we had rain on a couple of days it didn't last long.

Of some concern to us was the apparent loss of sand off some of the Sotavento beaches - resulting in quite a rocky shoreline around Mal Nombre and El Salmo - hopefully the easterly Sahara winds and currents will redress this by next year.

Again we really enjoyed eating out in both Jandia and Morro Jable - special mention to La Gaviota, La Isla, Que Rico, Leo's, Matorral Italian and Stentson's Steakhouse in Cosmo Centre.

I recommend this place only to those who enjoy a quiet holiday amongst mixed European nationalities (mostly Deutch accepted) far away from noisy lager louts. We love it!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are a little more expensive but well worth it with late evening sun!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SOL JANDIA MAR F, Gerente at Sol Jandia Mar Aparthotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Mr. SpinxWales,
We apreciate and thank you your feedeback they are very helpful for us.
Also thank you for your positive comments about the care provided, which we extend to all our team. This is definitely our best reward.
hope to welcome you again very soon!
best regards
Leeds, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had not visited the Jandia area of Fuerteventura before and we were guided by Tripadvisor towards choosing the Sol Jandia Mar in Morro del Jable. It was a good choice, reasonably priced, had all the facilities needed and our room was of a good standard and in accordance with our request for a room with sea view and sunshine in the afternoon and evening. There were many steps to negotiate, though, and access to the higher rooms may not have been easy for the elderly or infirm.

Our only criticism of the room was that the bedroom lacked a ceiling fan. This would have been welcome, as the bedroom was uncomfortably warm at night.

Check-in and check-out were fast and efficient. No meals were taken at the hotel, so we cannot comment on the food. The main bar and the pool bar, however, were very pleasant. There is a varied programme of entertainment in the evening and, although some of it is karaoke and bingo, on the Saturday an “Il Divo” tribute act called the “4 Stations” performed. They were excellent.

We were impressed by Morro del Jable and the surrounding area. There are many good quality bars and restaurants within easy distance of the hotel. The picturesque coastal village, La Lajita, about a 40 minute bus ride away, is well worth a visit.

It is a long transfer from the airport to Morro del Jable and our journeys by private hire (we expected a taxi, but got a mini-bus to ourselves on each occasion) took about an hour and a quarter. We think we got a good deal by booking the transfers in advance. Alpharooms.com charged us £125 for the round trip.

We enjoyed our week at the Sol Jandia Mar and would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SOL JANDIA MAR F, Gerente at Sol Jandia Mar Aparthotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Anon Nemo,
We thank you so much for you acknowledgement We love you enjoyed it ! We hope to welcome you again very soon!
best regards
Puerto del Carmen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

After a long drive down from Corralejo we arrived in Morro Jable in the early afternoon. The journey was shortned slightly by the new autovia whch is very high up on bridges. The hotel is undergoing renovations and every effort was made to keep the work away from the patrons. Each day we came down to a new route to the dining hall but as I said it was no inconvience. The reforms are needed and this shows in the rooms. The bathroom in our apartment was very large, bedroom adequate and the terrace was also big, however the lounge area had two single beds serving as couches and this really reduced the space available here. However as a resident of the Canaries we do not tend to spend much time indoors anyway, life here is outdoors anyway.A special mention to one member of staff who did a exceptional job although she was a trainee in the dining hall for Breakfast and the evening meal, she really showed all that is good with this Hotel, I hope that management see this. The pool area is very clean and although this is primerly a German stronghold there was no mass blocking off of sunbeds. A mention of two splendid squash courts under the pool, if only I was twenty years old again!!! The missus wants to mention that the resident cats here have a feeding station, I counted about thirteen cats, think O capitan have them looked after, as there is food beside the station and water for the patrons to feed them. Ps Tv reception was very poor although cabled in

Room Tip: Rooms nearest to reception are lower down the hill
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SOL JANDIA MAR F, Gerente at Sol Jandia Mar Aparthotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Jack M, Puerto del Carmen
Thanks for noticing the changes we are making in the hotel. All the hotel staff gives the best of themselves to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Your opinion is very important for us and you can be sure that we take note of your comments. We hope to welcome you again very soon!
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Just arrived home from a weeks stay at the Sol Jandia. Hotel apartments are as we expected, basic but that is reflected in the price you pay. Agree with other reviews on here that the pool is not quite big enough for the number of guests and it is very cloudy (the sun cream I would imagine). Got a little frustrated by the number of loungers covered in towels, only to find the owners of the towels didn't appear all day long. This is not fair to people wanting to sit by the pool and could not find a spare seat. I have to mention the heat..most days it hit around 40 degrees, obviously nothing to do with the hotel, but this does impact immensely on the ability to sleep at night. It was so uncomfortable, and we only averaged 3-4 hours a night as it was stifling. Given the lack of air con, I really do think it would be advisable for the hotel to invest in enough fans for each apartment. I would personally be happy to pay a nominal daily hire such as €3a day. That way you don't feel ripped off and the hotel would soon recover the purchase price of the fans. We were also a little disappointed with the cleaning, which we believed to be every day apart from a Sunday or Monday. We actually had the apartment cleaned only twice, and the floor which was in desperate need of a sweep (due to the sand) was not swept at all. The bed covers were adjusted and the towels folded up and that was it. On one occasion we went to the maids room to request a brush to do it ourselves, much to their amusement! On the positive side, the apartments are set in pleasant surroundings and the plants on each balcony are lovely. One tip I would give the management is that if they painted the grey concrete planters on each balcony, white, then this would really enhance and give a more polished and brighter look. As they are they look out of place and dull. We also found the staff to be lovely, very polite and helpful.
We ate out as we were not half baord or AI, and the restaurants were hit and miss, I will review separately but I cannot recommend Stetsons in the Cosmos centre enough, it is upstairs and can be reached easily by turning left out of the hotel, then almost opposite the supermarket is an entrance to the Cosmos centre,it is empty and not finished but if you walk around the corner, Stetsons can be found. The steak, ribs and chicken as well as burgers are excellent and the lady who owns it is a lovely German lady. Ones to avoid are an Italian pizza place right next to Stetsons, it is horrible, even the pizza was poor. Another is the restaurant along the road near theOasis bar, I can't remember what it is called but is not good! Overall the holiday was relaxing and it was nice to see another part of the island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear KP1UK
We thank you so much for the time you took to comment on our hotel. Your opinion is very important for us and you can be sure that we take note of your comments. We hope to welcome you again very soon!

Been to Sol Jandia Mar Aparthotel? Share your experiences!